Retro Gamer Issue 21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro Gamer Issue 21

Picked this up yesterday WHSmith is actually not the only store here to sell this - a tiny cornershop round here have been selling this since Issue 19!

The Sonic feature took a different angle than I expected - a good thing really, made a decent read instead of telling me what I already know. Not quite sure if I agree the original games is the best, but I could write an essay length post on while I feel Sonic 3 is the best platformer of all time... I'll save it =P

Good stuff with the 360 Marketplace reviews, didn't expect to see that actually! I reckon Marble Blast Ultra sets the new benchmark mind, being the only Marketplace game reaching ther quality of Geometry Wars (IMO), though it might not have been relevent.

Didn't know about that new Beggar Prince game for the MD - time to preorder!

What is going on with all these new titles being released on old consoles...what with Radilgy and Under Defeat for the DC, I think it is truly amazing and just goes to show that even though the consoles may have died commercially, the fanbase still recognise the huge, nay...collossal potential of the machine.
    Last edited by Q-Bass; 03-02-2006, 18:43.

Comment

That said, surely it's fair to say that the Dreamcast is only really being propped up by all these small developers releasing titles on Naomi (because it's a cheap and well adopted format), then porting to the Dreamcast cause it's cheap?

Comment

True..and beggar prince is only a translation of an existing game anyway. Last Hope for the neo is a different matter though.

Comment

Originally posted by wheelaa
          True..and beggar prince is only a translation of an existing game anyway. Last Hope for the neo is a different matter though.
          What game is it a translation of?

My brother picked up a copy today nice read.

Team 17 article is very nice, takes me back to my Amiga days, loved Project-X. Shame there was no mention of the legendary Alien Breed Special Edition 92 bug, there was even a disc to patch it!

R-Type feature very nice as well, but can't say I'm keen on the Emulation Nation section.

Comment

I personally welcome the emulation coverage and encourage it... but the letters page did have a few people not too keen.

The problem with a mag that has to appeal to a large type of audience I suppose, it won't all be for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M
              What game is it a translation of?
              "Xin Qi Gai Wang Zi", an unlicensed RPG developed by Taiwan-based C&E Inc, and originally distributed throughout SE Asia. The original had Chinese text, and apparently Super Fighter have also fixed a few bugs for th western release.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33

The problem with a mag that has to appeal to a large type of audience I suppose, it won't all be for everyone.
                And that's Retro Gamer summed up in a nutshell

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33
                  I personally welcome the emulation coverage and encourage it... but the letters page did have a few people not too keen.

It's one of those love it ot hate it sections, I'm just not that keen on it myself.

One thing I really don't like is that "from the forum section" it just not needed as most people these days have access to the internet.

anagrama thanks for the information.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M
                    One thing I really don't like is that "from the forum section" it just not needed as most people these days have access to the internet.
                    How often do you save forum posts to view in a few years? Magazines are fantastic because they present the news of the day without hindsight reinterpretation. The forum section is a brilliant way to present the subjects being discussed on the RG forum in that month.

Comment

Whats the Turrican feature like? A one pager or a more in depth look?

Looking forward to this, gonna pick it up next week.

Comment

Originally posted by gizmo1990
                        Whats the Turrican feature like? A one pager or a more in depth look?

Looking forward to this, gonna pick it up next week.
                        It's four pages mate with input from Mr Trenz himself.

Comment

Got this yesterday, only read a little bit but it's looking good. Makes me want to play Turrican as I never really did very much originally. Is the SNES version worth it compared to the C64 one? Is it the same game or different?
                          I do wonder why you do 2-page things like the Sonic feature though, instead of fully fleshing out some of the retrospectives into proper double-page reviews from the perspective of how well they stand up today and then making the Sonic thing 4 or 6 pages for another issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Strider
                            It's four pages mate with input from Mr Trenz himself.
                            Ooh goodie!

Originally posted by vertigo
                            Is the SNES version worth it compared to the C64 one? Is it the same game or different?
                            Some people seem to think the SNES version is the definitive one but I'd always say play the amiga ones. 8)

Completed 1 and 2 and they were some of my most fondly remembered playing experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by vertigo
                              Got this yesterday, only read a little bit but it's looking good. Makes me want to play Turrican as I never really did very much originally. Is the SNES version worth it compared to the C64 one? Is it the same game or different?
                              I do wonder why you do 2-page things like the Sonic feature though, instead of fully fleshing out some of the retrospectives into proper double-page reviews from the perspective of how well they stand up today and then making the Sonic thing 4 or 6 pages for another issue.
                              The sonic piece is 4 pages...

Besides, I've got something special lined up for Sega's mascot...

Comment

Working...
                              X