Harmful Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harmful Park

This game is great and deserves it's own thread.

I bought it a while ago but only got around to checking it out recently. I didn't quite know what to expect since there have been quite a few expensive shooters with big reputations that have disappointed me when I've actually played them, but Harmful Park isn't one of them. In fact, it's great in every department and easily one of the most memorable shooters I've played.

Looking at their company profile, this appears to have been the last game Sky Think Systems ever made, which is a shame, but perhaps they already knew this because it's obvious that they made a real effort here.

At first glance, it appears to be just another highly-polished "cute" shmup like Parodius and various other early '90s PCE/SFC games, but lurking beneath the surface is a serious shooter with surprisingly-deep gameplay and scoring.

My first impression of the game was that it actually felt quite reminiscant of Progear since it has bright, cartoony graphics just like that game, and also a similar ( S L O W ) scrolling speed. Plus, you're piloting a flying contraption with a seperate gun/weapon (actually a pair of hands that change according to the weapon selected) and there's also jewels floating around the screen during play... so the similarities are there, even if both games are quite different in execution.

4 weapons are available at any time, and each of them are very different. The Potato gun is default, and is like your typical rapid-firing "vulcan". The Ice Cream weapon is a powerful laser with a slower firing speed. You can also elect to use the Pie weapon which, throws pies(!) at the enemies...these explode on impact and can take out other baddies in the vicinity, but you're left vulnerable and unable to fire for quite a while between throws with this one. Last but not least, is the Jerry (Jelly beans?) which have homing tendencies.

All of these can be powered-up by collecting tokens. I tend do prefer just use the Potato gun most of the time, with the occasional switch to the Ice Cream to take out clusters of enemies for the multiple kill bonuses (x2, x3, x4...etc).

You can use these weapons to blow apart cuddly teddys, pigs, monkeys, clowns and other bizarre creatures and stuff you might expect to find in an amusement park. What really makes it great though, is the sheer amount of imagination put into the game. The levels and enemy patterns are superb, with great attention to detail and ingenious set-pieces that Treasure would be proud of.

There's only 6 "attractions" (levels) in all, but they're a decent length with plenty of variety, plus there's a seperate level for the score-attack mode.

The graphics look good in static screens, but the game looks amazingly good in the flesh when it's running. Everything is really well-animated and the screen is always full of life with lots of nice special effects. You really need to watch someone else playing to take most of it in. The soundtrack is also fantastic with some good stereo effects and some truly great tunes.

The only real problem with Harmful Park is the difficulty. The default setting is "Easy" and even though I changed that to "Normal" straight away it's not exactly tough, with the bosses in particular being fairly easy to beat. The game is so good to play though that there's plenty to come back for, including 3 unlockable minigames.

Wow, looks awesome. How rare is it?

Comment

It's quite rare, but not impossible to find. Will cost around ?45+ depending on condition - Apparently the manual fades real easy, so a mint/complete copy can be worth a bit more.

I would definitely recommend it. You'll at least get your money back if you decide you don't like it.

Comment

i always wanted to play that game, getting a jap ps2 through in a couple of weeks so maybe i'll be able to sample this gem in the not so distant future

Comment

I picked this up about a month back. Much like Kubrick I was prepared to be underwhelmed, as with so many games it's easy for them to be hyped - particularly when they go for a price.

But it is a damned good game, it's really a lot of fun - never frustrating (we'll get back to that) and stunning to look at. The levels are varied and long whilst the enemy attacks are always entertaining. Real good solid entertainment.

It's main problem is that it's just really really easy. Finished Easy at the first attempt and Normal on the third. It's at a very accessible level but it's enough to put off many potential buyers.

Comment

Absolutely cracking game. Probably my fave PSone shmup tbh.

Comment

I've heard great things about this over the years, but I've never really been in to PS1, so I neglected to buy it. Looks fantastic though, and I have little doubt it plays like a dream.

These are the sort of 32bit CD games I appreciate!

Now I need to find a copy for a good price!

Comment

I've been considering this as a purchase for a while now. I think I've just had my armed twisted

Thanks for the review Kubrick

Comment

I picked this up some time last year.

Got to agree with everything Kubrick has said, it's a real gem.
                  I particularly like level 4, and the music is brilliant.

I got my copy sealed, but the cover was faded. It cost me more than ?45, but it's certainly worth it!
                  I'm not a massive shooter fan, but this is one of my faves.

Comment

Definitely my favourite PS exclusive shmup. I enjoy it more than Einhander even. A cutesy classic.

Comment

I have been looking to get this game for a long time but the prices it goes for are not too cheap on Ebay.

Comment

Best shooter I've played onthe PS full stop, A bloody stunner

Comment

I've been hammering this for the past few nights - it's a beautiful, beautiful game; anyone interested in seeing the best of the PS1 should pick this up & hang the cost (as Kubrick points out, you'll make your money back on it if it's not for you)

It's seriously rivalling Parodius as my favourite cute 'em up - it's the kind of game that it's impossible to play without a sloppy grin breaking on your face.

Favourite moment so far has to be the boss encounter in Kubrick's second screenshot - it's wonderfully bizarre that you crash a wedding in the first place, but to then have to take out a huge heart, lots of little hearts & dodge tears from the jilted groom, really multiplies the demented fun.

It's aces. Buy it.

Comment

Ive wanted this for a while now, what should i be paying? Dosnt have to be mint/sealed etc

Comment

Price has risen dramitically in Japan. I used to buy it for for around Y*,*** nearly 3 years ago but it's triple that now; there's a factory sealed one in town (Aki). I feel partly responsible (sorry) as it was my message board that exposed it with a exclusive feature all them years ago. Great game, just goes to show that the PS platforms really have been the best for 2D ever. Funny how things turn out.

Comment

Working...
                              X