Paperboy N64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paperboy N64

I have very vague memories of playing this back in 98. I remember it being a very dodgy game with poor visuals. Overall, it's a very weak update of the 2D original, and it's obvious why no one talks about it!

Maybe I am being harsh? Please comment!

Cheers!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 06-02-2006, 13:19.

jebus not much detail in the enviroments is there, id say it looks worse than the original

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski
      jebus not much detail in the enviroments is there, id say it looks worse than the original
      Yeah.. the original looks infinitely better. In fact. I feel the original has a timeless quality that really shines with 80's 2D magic!
      Attached Files

Comment

TBH I always thought paperboy was pony, old or new(er).

Comment

I never even knew there was a N64 paperboy game !! Looks pretty bad from that screen shot.

Yakumo

Comment

The original was far better!

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo
              I never even knew there was a N64 paperboy game !! Looks pretty bad from that screen shot.

Yakumo
              I have tried hard to forget it.

It's one of those misguided experimental 3D titles that should never have been made. I don't think Paperboy would ever work in full 3D; however good the dev team!

I looked on Google, and there was a PS1 release as well.

Just look at 3D Paperboy

Comment

Yeah I can definately agree that it blows big-time on the 64. If I remember rightly though it had a few fun options that attempt to differentiate from the original, but it's a pretty dire game all round. Carts go for about ?6 on eBay though, so worth a look if you're a fan.

Comment

Yeh I played this when it was ehhh released to the scene
                  It's ****
                  But not as bad as Superman 64.
                  Not by much though.
                  Your typical late-90s Midway crap really I'm surprised Midway didn't go under, the amount of utter garbage they produced in the 90s.

Comment

The SNES version of Paperboy (2?) was a bit a bit **** as well. Never cared for the original much either.

Comment

The N64 version wasn't that ****, it was playable to some degree but mainly lacked any kind of 'Paperboy-ish' atmosphere or character due to the overly strange graphical style. The original Paperboy never needed a sequel anyway - it was very much of its era and any 'updates' just seem to emphasise this.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk
                        The N64 version wasn't that ****, it was playable to some degree but mainly lacked any kind of 'Paperboy-ish' atmosphere or character due to the overly strange graphical style. The original Paperboy never needed a sequel anyway - it was very much of its era and any 'updates' just seem to emphasise this.
                        The visual style in the N64 title really did the game no favours. It's just a very unattractive experimental mess imo!

The original Paperboy is definitely a title of it's time. I would say it's near perfect at what it set out to achieve, and I still enjoy the odd go now and then. It's like a trip in to another era, and I really like that!

Comment

Totally - it's that weird 'clean' American suburbia thing that somehow typified the mid 80's, without any gangs or drugs or suicides. C.J.'s 'hood in San Andreas kinda reminded me of a f*cked up version of it. The home version's not the same without the handlebars but there's just something about it, a weird innocence. The graphics and music are still kind of immaculate in what they are trying to depict (it's hard to describe but I'm sure most of you will know what I mean!)

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk
                            Totally - it's that weird 'clean' American suburbia thing that somehow typified the mid 80's, without any gangs or drugs or suicides. C.J.'s 'hood in San Andreas kinda reminded me of a f*cked up version of it. The home version's not the same without the handlebars but there's just something about it, a weird innocence. The graphics and music are still kind of immaculate in what they are trying to depict (it's hard to describe but I'm sure most of you will know what I mean!)
                            Yeah.. it has that middle-class surburbia look. The kind of place from 80's films like E.T. The style is timeless, because it's so clean and sharp, and there are a lot of details in it. The way the street ends with a stunt course typifies the 80's feeling of fun ( like BMX Bandits etc.. )

The game has never been one of the most grippingly playable, but because it has so much charm, many people now regard it as a truely classic title.

About as violent as the game gets!

Comment

Yep, Paper Boy is a true classic ! But do you remember the God awful Paper Boy 2 on he SNES ? That was a true mess. Which is worse? The N64 version or the SNES?

Yakumo

Comment

Working...
                              X