Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sega MegaCD games - factory seal/wrapping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sega MegaCD games - factory seal/wrapping?

Hello to all - I'm hoping someone can offer some honest advice..

I've been collecting SMCD games for years now, but never really been on the lookout for sealed copies - but lately I've seen a fair few surface at various outlets and _that_ auction site. I also own a few which I have no idea are genuine seals or not.

Can someone tell me what to look for? I own games that are both shrink wrapped in a thin plastic, and games that have a slightly more durable feeling wrap that are angle folded on the sides. Are both genuine types of wrapping, or is one type a reseal?

All of my sealed examples show no signs of tampering - no scuffs on the spine cards that would indicate them having been open previous. I'm just curious..
    Please forgive the ramblings & many thanks in advance,

S

I was once given a sealed Sega CD version of Lethal Enforcers pulled from the Boxset. It was sealed with the angle folded corners, and also had that little bit you can pull across to unseal it.

Not sure if it helps, but that's all I've got.

Comment

Yeah. Both types are good. I sold up my pal mcd a while back, a fair few sealed. Most were the shrinkwrapped, fewer were 'angle folded', but both sound genuine. Like you say, check for tampering to be safe.

Comment

That's a relief guys - thanks. And yes Wheelaa - I nearly cried when I did a quick history search on Ebay and saw some of your nice stuff go to other homes.. Lol.

I did notice, however, that whilst my copy of Lawnmower Man looks as well wrapped as some of the other games that I've got from completely different sources, it has a tape seal over the opening side of the case _under_ the wrap!
        None of my others have this, but as I said, that wrapping doesn't suggest anything suspect - so did games sometimes have this too?

Again, thank you for putting my mind at rest.. )

S.
        Last edited by BlueMagician; 09-02-2006, 06:14.

Comment

Trust me, the better stuff was snapped up before ebay had a chance.

Re Lawnmower man, I had sealed games like that too, ie with the tape under. I think one was Powermonger. Iirc Lawnmower man was a shrinkwrap type seal though.

(I think maybe what might have happened is that pal mcd games came in the shrinkwrap type seal. Some shops however open these and then reseal them with their own seals. I know in more recent times a lot of shops open their new stuff, and either keep the discs separate, or apply their own shop seals. I've had new ps1 games like this for sure)

Comment

I've seen a few pictures of Lawnmower Man sealed, and they all seem to be the durable wrap type rather than shrinky, but the res is never good enough to stand a chance of seeing tape seal through it.. lol.

I take your point about the 'shop' reseals. It's a shame, because of course that's not as nice, but hey...

I really appreciate the advice. Even after years of collecting bits and bobs, there's still a shedload I don't know - and it's good to find a friendly knowledgable bunch here.

Regards to you all - I'm sure I'll be asking a shedload in the future!
            S.

Comment

Working...
            X