Megadrive/Genesis compatabilty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Megadrive/Genesis compatabilty

Most people know that early genesis games will work on a uk megadrive without any mods or converters, but at what point did that change? When did genesis games become region protected? ie which was the first incompatible game and in what year? Or have i got it wrong?

After some digging found the answer to my question is 'some' post 1993 Sega, Capcom, and Konami genesis games are region protected and wont run on a unmodded pal md. A big thanks to erm...Myself! Hoorah!

Comment

That's correct. It was around 1992/1993ish that it started. Some publishers like EA didn't put any region locking at any stage so the carts work on any machine.

Comment

It was early '93, around the same time the MD2 was released.
        It's hit & miss after that, even with Sega games - for example Sonic 3D (1996) is universal.
        I'd hazard a guess at Streets of Rage 2 being the earliest protected cart, in PAL-land at least.

Comment

Look at your PAL copy of Sonic 3D...

...Under the label you may notice a second Red label...

Comment

Originally posted by SegaMark
            Look at your PAL copy of Sonic 3D...

...Under the label you may notice a second Red label...
            Not as far as I can tell. And even if it was a relabelled Genesis cart, it's still universal in 1996 - Genesis games were protected at the same time. There's plenty of other universal late games too, but that's the first one that sprang to mind.

Comment

Aye, was just pointing out a little bit of Sonic 3D trivia, since it was mentioned above.

I know Sonic 3 is region specific, but if you whack it into S&K it doesn't matter, Streets of Rage 2 has lock out too...

...and Street Fighter.

Comment

PAL ThunderForce 4 has region protection.

I could check the games I have and their dates if you want.

Comment

You can use Gens the emulator to test if a game will work or not, don't know how correct it is? But quite often when I set it to Genesis, I'll get a message on a UK/Japanese game saying this game will not work on this system.

Can't say how accurate it is but it's pretty good.

Last edited by S3M; 10-02-2006, 17:41.

Comment

Working...
                  X