Retro racers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro racers!

Ive always been a big fan of the racer, they were just so easy to pick up and play...

Some of my favourites:

Continental Circus - Amiga

Played this for hours at a time. It was fast and fun arcade action, no braking, just furiously trying to get past the 99 other cars!

F-Zero - SNES

F-Zero >> Mario kart imo.
    Best music ever!! and an addictive time trial too.

Ridge Racer - PS1

was the expression on my face when I first saw this. Probably the fist time I saw fast, detailed 3D on a console and was instantly hooked.

Daytona USA - Arcade

Regularly went to my local arcade with freinds to play this (6-player).
    For some reason we never played the intermediate or advanced tracks!?

Wave race 64 - N64

F-zero X is my favourite N64 racer but this deserved a special mention. Stunning looks, addictive gameplay, varied tracks and a cool stunt mode make this one the best racing games on any system imo.

OutRun (Arcade)

Used to play this nearly every day as there was a machine just along the road. I became very good at it and could finish any route with loads of seconds to spare

Comment

F1 Circus on Jap Megadrive. Totally addictive and speedy as f*ck.

Comment

Ho right time!

Been blasting out some Amiga racers atm, often said 16bit has sodtastic drivers, but its a lie we all noes it!

Lotus Turbo Challenge 2, wicked.

Test Drive II: The Duel.........Need for Speeds uncle??

Comment

Indeed, the Amiga was home to this legend for starters.

Stunt Car Racer

You genuinely shat yourself when you took off some of those jumps! Awesome V8 engine effects too.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch996
            Daytona USA - Arcade

Regularly went to my local arcade with freinds to play this (6-player).
            For some reason we never played the intermediate or advanced tracks!?

I intend to buy the arcade game of this, one day. Probably right after I win the lotto mind, right after bombing Nigeria.

Wave race 64 - N64

F-zero X is my favourite N64 racer but this deserved a special mention. Stunning looks, addictive gameplay, varied tracks and a cool stunt mode make this one the best racing games on any system imo.

I think F-Zero X pips it as the best N64 game but still a blinding title nonetheless. Oooh.

Mario Kart is probably my fave retro racer, mind. I can't think of anything besides Stunt Car Racer (which I have on my mobile phone ) before that, really. These 2D-scalar types were just dull

Comment

I love Saturn Gale Racer, just because it's a despicable corruption of a lovely source and it's so bad, it's good. Kinda.

Comment

Not in the same class as some of the racer's already mentioned, and indeed you may laugh but i really like Mille Miglia on the ps1. For those that dont know it, its a classic car racing game based on the famous italian 1000 mile road race that took place pre and post world war 2 until the mid 50's, and was open to both proffesinal and amauter racing drivers. The ps1 game by sci, plays a really solid and enjoyable game and the vintage and racing the classic Ferraris, porche's and alfa's etc through the italian country side makes a refreshing change from run of the mill racers and is much underatted imo. Must pick up another copy!

Comment

^^Rad often picked that up in shops, will make the plunge now Asda's bound to have it for a quid etc.

How did I not mention Rally Chase on Neo Geo CD, its my fave game on there, such a good soundtrack and simple fun. Think Thrash Rally cart has a different control scheme? so cant vouch for that......go CD!

Comment

Chase HQ
                    Great games

Sega Rally
                    The game that sold a million Saturn's and a classic arcade game

Mario Kart
                    SNES classic

Super Cars 2
                    Great game on the Amiga

Comment

A had a blast of Top Gear the other day, and I must say for such a dated piece of code the gameplay still shines. Now I must stop playing the roms and actually buy the SNES carts as I'm tired of using keys.

Top Gear 2 is leagues ahead in presentation and is more fun but goddam it if Top Gear 1 doesn't have some of the sweetest music ever emmitted from a console. The intro and the stage 1 music are outstandingly good.

F-Zero X is my absolute favourate retro racing game. Absolutely perfect in every department I'd say. I think it ****s all over the SNES original, and GX while great, just wasn't as enthralling as it ought to have been, maybe it was the track design that let it down.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch996
                        Ive always been a big fan of the racer, they were just so easy to pick up and play...

Some of my favourites:

Continental Circus - Amiga
                        F-Zero - SNES
                        Ridge Racer - PS1
                        Daytona USA - Arcade
                        Wave race 64 - N64
                        We must have been separated at birth Every game you mentioned are my all time favourites too.

F-Zero is totally majestic. The design of each track, and the music that accompanies them, work together with the gameplay to make a truely hypnotic dream like experience. The game is total perfection!

Continental Circus is one of the Amiga's best racers. It's just a fantastic conversion, and I remember playing it all the time as a kid.

Ridge Racer PS1: I remember getting this game with my machine, and just sitting there in amazement when I realised how brilliant the conversion was. It may have only one track, but I played it for years without ever getting bored. The colourful visuals, power-sliding, and excellent tunes, made this a true classic!

Daytona USA is probably the ultimate arcade racer. Everything about it symbolised the arcade vibe for me. The amount of money and time I must have spent on the arcade machine in the 90's is ridiculous!

Then we come to WAVE RACE 64. From the intro to the end sequence, this game is pure perfection and more. When you have such perfect design, graphics and sound, you get a AAA game, but when you add in the extra magic this game oozes from every pixel, you must surely have one of the greateast titles ever produced. My favourite game of all time for sure!

A final mention must go to F-Zero X. I just love this game. It works brilliantly in all departments. Definitely one of the best games ever, and another Nintendo masterpiece.

Last edited by MartyG; 10-02-2006, 21:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Marklar
                          I think F-Zero X pips it as the best N64 game but still a blinding title nonetheless. Oooh.
                          I admire his guts for picking the Twin Norita in the first clip

(usually I was winning away with the Fire Stingray)
                          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Does Lotus Esprit (spectrum) count as a racer? I never got bored of running people over on Zebra crossings or knocking them off ladders

Carmageddon probably counts as retro by now, even if it is a PC game. Perhaps not the most sophisticated of games, but where else can you run cows and sheep over and get away without.

As mention already, Stunt Car Racer is an absolute gem of a game. There's been a massive thread on that title in this forum a while back. I'm not a huge fan of rehashing old games, but I'd love to see a modern day sequel.

Comment

I quite like 2'd racers, like mentioned f-zero, i also like a lot

Pole Position Arcade,
                              Super Sprint Arcade,
                              Monaco Arcade (i think it was called monaco, was a proper sit dow cab from the early eighties)
                              Rally X is great too, but not a racer as such.

As for home consoles,

I used to play micro machines over various systems a lot, liked it on the snes alot.
                              Sega Rally! SS,
                              Daytona SS,
                              Rad racer nes.

There are probably more, but all those popped into my head quite quick.

Comment

Working...
                              X