C64 horizontal shooters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C64 horizontal shooters

Would it be fair to say that as UK home computers go, the C64 was the daddy for this genre? We had:

Dropzone - fantastic defender clone, hard as nails
    Uridium - smooth as silk
    Delta - best soundtrack ever and a real memory test
    Armalyte
    Denaris - better than the C64 version of R-type
    X-Out
    Wizball - dreamy collect em up with fantastic sound

What were your favourites?

As far as 8-bit UK home computers go, I'd probably agree, yes. Though I did prefer the Speccy version of R-Type to the C64 one, and there's nothing really wrong with our version of Uridium, either.

Comment

It was fantastic.

You missed off Katakis and Enforcer: Fullmetal Megablaster though. Two of my very favourites.

Comment

You missed off Katakis and Enforcer: Fullmetal Megablaster though. Two of my very favourites.
        Katakis was banned due to similarity to R-type (around the same time as Giana Sister / SMB). Denaris was the rerelased version of it

Comment

Ahhh. I wandered why Denaris seemed to be an identical game in the screenshots. I know it as Katakis...

You learn something new every day

Comment

Sanxion?

Comment

Did saint dragon ever get a c64 conversion?

Comment

yep, remember buying it on cassette for 2.99 \\o

Originally posted by eastyy
                Did saint dragon ever get a c64 conversion?

Comment

Don't forget 'IO'.

Delta was the daddy though. The soundtrack btw, amazing though it was, was ripped off blatantly from Pink Floyd.

Comment

not related really , but Project X on amiga was great

Comment

Originally posted by jnm23
                      Katakis was banned due to similarity to R-type (around the same time as Giana Sister / SMB). Denaris was the rerelased version of it
                      Only in the UK...

http://www.mayhem64.co.uk/photos/photos16.htm

Other horiz scrollers on the C64 I can think of (if we ignore arcade conversions) include Zybex, Slayer and Insects in Space.
                      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

i know a good C64 shooter, you go to the countryside take a shotgun with you, get someone to throw a C64 into the sky, then just take aim and fire, it saves the lives of many pheasants as well as reducing the population of C64's you should give it a try

Comment

Regarding Denaris:
                          This was released by US Gold and is one of the best shooters on the C64 ever - I won the tape version in a competition in Zzap64! to write a limerick lol

I sent in the limerick and thought nothing of it (waste of a stamp and all that) but I was bowled over when this arrived in the post 3 weeks later! The letter was signed by Geoff Brown (I think), wish I'd kept it now with the advent of eBay lol...

Remember Muse Hunter the original C64 was built like a brick s***house - you may have trouble blowing it up lol

Comment

Blatantly missing

Nemesis (Gradius)
                            Salamander - great conversion for the time

Comment

take it you never owned one then? a true c64 playa wouldnt ever say such a thing.

Originally posted by muse hunter
                              i know a good C64 shooter, you go to the countryside take a shotgun with you, get someone to throw a C64 into the sky, then just take aim and fire, it saves the lives of many pheasants as well as reducing the population of C64's you should give it a try

Comment

Working...
                              X