Question about SNES Power Pack/Transformer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about SNES Power Pack/Transformer

Hi. I just bought a US SNES but it didn't come with a power pack/transformer. It needs a 10VDC, 850mA transformer. I thought I could use my PAL megadrive PSU (10VDC, 1200mA) but the connectors are different. I presume that the difference in current isn't going to cause a malfunction. Anyone know the technical name of the US Power input socket so I can make/buy an adapter? Or can anyone suggest where I can buy an appropriate power supply (pref in UK)? I'll gladly buy one off a forum member.

Thanks
    Dan

Aha...I see that this issue has been done to death. Apologies for any annoyance caused. In case anyone else is interested, I found out that:

Maplins sell the US snes connector for under a quid, and a 9v psu that will take different ends for ?4.99.
    Thanks to gIzzE

The PSU should also do 9V at at least 800ma. Thanks to a banned member

and
    My US SNES is running off a UK Megadrive power supply and an adapter to connect it to the console.
    Thanks to Mayhem

Thanks
    Dan
    Last edited by halfacandan; 16-02-2006, 21:08.

Comment

I got the bits I needed from Maplin, and the PAL Megadrive adapter powers the SNES no bother. The one bit that you need is:

AR28F - Power Tip R - 7x1mm Power for 79p.

To avoid hacking up my power supply, I also got:
      JK11M - Power Line Socket 2.1 for ?1.06.
      AQ81C - DC Output Lead for 99p.

Hope this helps someone.

Comment

Hi mate. Do you mind if I ask where you got your US SNES from as I am after one?
        Don't look at me, I'm irrelevant.

Comment

Hey figflair, unrelated sorry but I've sent you a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by figflair
            Hi mate. Do you mind if I ask where you got your US SNES from as I am after one?
            It was just ebay. I'd tried the all the forums I'm a member of but no joy. I got it fully boxed, with original instructions and official pad for ?30. It was being sold as spare/repair as he didn't have a PSU to test it with. Overall I think that this was a bargain!

Good luck with your search!
            Dan

Comment

When my brother got a US SNES back in 93, he got a UK adaptor with it, with the correct socket on the end of it, without the need for a adaptor tip set. Good knows where you get these from though, as ive been force to use a multi-adaptor where you can change the voltage, and had to buy a socket tip set to get the correct fitting. Would be nice if i could get my hands on one of these adapotrs what my bro got with his US snes!?

Comment

Just found out that my MD2 Power Supply (9V, 850mA I think) powers my PSONE (the small one) with no probs despite it needing 1.2A @ 7.5V!

Comment

Working...
                X