Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did the SNES display a True RGB picture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did the SNES display a True RGB picture?

I have my old snes hooked up to the TV in the back room, via the scart cable, now the picture is sharper than when using the areial connection, but im able to change the colour settings for the picture through the TV menu. Now it maybe me, but i thought i could remember not being able to change the colour setting when i use to play the SNES years ago??

I don't think all the PAL scart leads are RGB since they only have a few pins when they should have 21. The SNES or at least the SFC can out put true RGB.

Yakumo

Comment

Yeah the one im using is a US NTSC system

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo
        I don't think all the PAL scart leads are RGB since they only have a few pins when they should have 21. The SNES or at least the SFC can out put true RGB.

Yakumo
        Actually some RGB cables don't have all the pins connected (Dreamcast ones for example). The pins for Composite video were disconnected as this wasn't needed (Composite Sync of course was left in).

Comment

I used to get perfect RGB from my U.S and Japanese machines. The same lead even gave the same results with my mates Pal machine.

I had two leads though, one had a switch on which wasn't composite/RGB, but I guessed it was for different scart sockets depending on your tv?

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo
            This gets on my nerves. It was misinformation propogated by Super Play that seems to have lived on down the years. You only need about 7 or 8 pins connected to get RGB out of a SCART lead. However, if your lead's only got about 4 connected then you've definitely only got composite video. If all 21 pins are present, it's impossible to tell what you'll get unless you hook it up or open the SCART end and check what's connected.

Lettuce, it's possible that your old TV wouldn't allow you to change the colour setting in RGB mode but your new one does. I had the same problem with my old TV, the colour setting wasn't adjustable, but my new (well, 3 years old) TV does allow colour adjustment in RGB mode.

Yes, all models of the original version SNES can output RGB. For the NTSC one, the pinout at the SNES end is slightly different to the PAL one and the lead contains capacitors which does away with an overbright picture. This is why a PAL Gamecube RGB cable works on a NTSC SNES (it contains the capacitors) but isn't so good for a PAL one which results in a darkened image.

Comment

I thought the whole point of RGB was that the colour was set, so what u get is the correct colour balance? Ive just tried the SNES on my Widescreen Panasonic, and when plugged in via the scart the colour option from the TV menu has dissapeared, so not allowing it to be changed! But on the old Philips TV downstairs i can still change the colour

Comment

Originally posted by lettuce
                I thought the whole point of RGB was that the colour was set, so what u get is the correct colour balance?
                Nothing to do with that. The point of RGB is that the red, blue and green are sent as completely separate signals, to avoid the compression and blurring that occurs using Composite.

Comment

I thought the whole point of RGB was that the colour was set, so what u get is the correct colour balance? Ive just tried the SNES on my Widescreen Panasonic, and when plugged in via the scart the colour option from the TV menu has dissapeared, so not allowing it to be changed! But on the old Philips TV downstairs i can still change the colour
                  This was the case years ago back before sets did additional processing on the image.

On a PAL set, there should be no sharpness or tint controls, and using RGB should lock out colour, as the signal should be sent directly to the guns.

These days, TVs do all kinds of crap to the signal, often converting to component internally, meaning that it never gets it right, and has to give you a "colour" control to fix it. (and the colour decoder typically only gets two of the three set up right, so you have to compromise)

Comment

So in which case for playing Retro consoles its probably best to get a not so well know make of TV or the cheapest one you can find, as to avoid all these tweaks that newer more expensive TV do??

Comment

So in which case for playing Retro consoles its probably best to get a not so well know make of TV or the cheapest one you can find, as to avoid all these tweaks that newer more expensive TV do??
                      Yep. As long as the tube itself is fairly decent, but I can't imagine there being much of a difference these days.

If it's basic, you won't have any SVM to deal with, and the above should apply. (there may be a sharpness control, but it should be able to be turned off)

You definitely don't want 100Hz, that's for sure.

Comment

You might want to look more towards a RGB-supporting CRT than anything flat-screen.
                        Old (better!) consoles tend to look awful on newer TVs because of all that processing crap.

Comment

Certainly avoid LCD's tbh. Old consoles CAN looks stunning on an LCD.... as long as your willing to fork out the extra for decent deinterlacers scalers tailored more towards gaming. You'd be better off putting that money towards a nice quality CRT, unless you need HD as welll.

Comment

Retro TVs

Comment

I recently got a US SNES and a UK SNES,
                              I set them both up exactly the sameway using the gamecube AV cable, red,yellow and white, with the scart head.
                              So its on the tv's AV1.

The US SNES seems to have far more of the lines and fuzz ( like the picture of the TV channel you had it on before pressing AV is showing through slightly! ) I tried putting the channel on just a snow picture before pressing AV but then you just see the snowy fuzz a bit when playing a game

The UK SNES however looks much clearer even when using the same setup !
                              Can anyone explain this to me please ? or advise me as I really want to use the US SNES but if the picture is not as good then I will have to keep th UK PAL one

I did try an official Gamecube RGB cable but couldn't get a picture at all !!!
                              I also read that using a gamecube rgb for a SNES or N64 or vice versa could damage them!???

I'm not very good with stuff like this so If anyone can help i'd be very, very greatful

Comment

Working...
                              X