Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems getting a US SNES to output RGB with a PAL GC lead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems getting a US SNES to output RGB with a PAL GC lead.

I got a GC RGB cable and removed the 3 capacitors from the Red, Green & Blue channels and also noticed that there was no connection to pin 16 (the RGB switching pin!). I added a 100ohm resistor between pins 8 (AV switch pin) & 16 (RGB switch pin) and attaching the switching cable to pin 8. When using the cable on a PAL GC, it sucessfully switched to the correct AV setting and to an RGB picture but didn't do either of these when using an RGB Modded US N64 or a US SNES. I checked the voltage between pin 18 (Video ground) and pins 8 & 16 and both showed 2.7V which should be enough to switch my TV to the correct settings...any suggestions?

Thanks
    Dan

My N64 gives 3V to pins 8 & 16 (compared to 2.7 from the SNES). However, my GC gives 6V. It seems as though voltage is the problem...any way of boosting the voltage? Could I use a similar system to the amplification in an N64 RGB booster mod? I'm a bit out of my depth.

Thanks
    Dan

Comment

dunno about the switching issue but does'nt a US snes need the capacitors left in the lead?

i sold my US snes a few months ago but i could have sworn i had to put the capacitors back in for it to work

Comment

Hey. On my travels I found this...

"The US and NTSC SNES have a ?DC offset?, which is basically extra voltage, on the RGB lines. You can filter this out with one 220uf capacitor on each of the RGB lines (+ towards console, - towards display). PAL SNES systems do not need these caps, but PAL GameCubes do. NTSC GameCubes don?t output RGB through this connector."

I found that the SNES works with a cable that I use on my RGB-modded N64 and it's got the RGB booster fitted.

The problem does appear to be with the voltage...

"A PAL SNES outputs +12v on pin 3 [of multiout], not composite sync. This is for a SCART TV to automatically detect RGB input."

5V seems to switch my TV into RGB mode but I can only get 3 from the GC cable. There's a capacitor in the Multiout block of the GC cable so I'll try removing that and seeing if it helps (I think it may).

Dan
        Last edited by halfacandan; 18-02-2006, 17:40.

Comment

Right...entirely new problem now. When using RGB, there are lots of really noticable ripples in the picture moving up and down the screen. This happens when I use the Modified GC cable, with or without the RGB Booster. I also found that my official GC cable worked fine, without any modification. However, this cable also suffered the "Ripple" problem. I can use a composite signal with no visible ripples but it just doesn't look as good. Anyone else heard of a similar problem?

Thanks
          Dan

Comment

Originally posted by halfacandan
            Right...entirely new problem now. When using RGB, there are lots of really noticable ripples in the picture moving up and down the screen. This happens when I use the Modified GC cable, with or without the RGB Booster. I also found that my official GC cable worked fine, without any modification. However, this cable also suffered the "Ripple" problem. I can use a composite signal with no visible ripples but it just doesn't look as good. Anyone else heard of a similar problem?

Thanks
            Dan
            This appear to be a flaw in the RGB input of some Panasonic TVs .

Comment

It's not just on pannys, it's on tons of TVs.
              The worst case of it is on some of the early SHARP widescreens where the image itself doesn't ripple. But actually has bands of dark and light contrast that move depending on what's on the screen! O_O

Comment

I need help with my SNES picture too Please !!!

Thanks
                Dan

I recently got a US SNES and a UK SNES,
                I set them both up exactly the sameway using the gamecube AV cable, red,yellow and white, with the scart head.
                So its on the tv's AV1.

The US SNES seems to have far more of the lines and fuzz ( like the picture of the TV channel you had it on before pressing AV is showing through slightly! ) I tried putting the channel on just a snow picture before pressing AV but then you just see the snowy fuzz a bit when playing a game

The UK SNES however looks much clearer even when using the same setup !
                Can anyone explain this to me please ? or advise me as I really want to use the US SNES but if the picture is not as good then I will have to keep th UK PAL one

I did try an official Gamecube RGB cable but couldn't get a picture at all !!!
                I also read that using a gamecube rgb for a SNES or N64 or vice versa could damage them!???

I'm not very good with stuff like this so If anyone can help i'd be very, very greatful

Comment

Can Anyone help please ???

Comment

the following cable will give a nice rgb picture with the US snes

to use the same cable on a uk snes, unscrew the scart plug and remove the 3 capacitors.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammie
                      the following cable will give a nice rgb picture with the US snes

to use the same cable on a uk snes, unscrew the scart plug and remove the 3 capacitors.
                      Sorry to seem nieve but what are the 3 capacitators?
                      And so what about the offiscial nintendo rgb scart bought in this country for the gamecube? would that be ok for the US snes or the UK one?
                      Why do you have to remove these 3 capacitators to use with the uk snes?
                      Whay is it different?
                      Thanks,
                      Chris

Comment

take a look at this site http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/ni...l-snes-rgb.htm

uk gamecube needs the capacitors
                        us snes needs the capacitors
                        pal snes does'nt need the capacitors

so a uk gamecube lead should work with a us snes without any modification

for a uk snes, best bet is to buy one of those cheap rgb leads and remove the capacitors as in that guide

somebody correct me if i'm wrong though....i may be

Comment

I bought one of the Lik-sang RGB cables a few months ago after several recommendations and I have to say that it was the worst cable I have ever owned! When I switched to the official RGB lead it was like a veil of crap and muck was lifted from in front of the image. When I opened up the Lik-Sang lead, the soldering was shocking (worse than mine when I started out) and it tended to crumble when prodded.

I'm guessing that the PAL vs NTSC SNES comparison could be showing up your TVs poorer NTSC signal processing as I think all the connections in the US & UK Multiout Ports are the same. I may be wrong though

Comment

Ok thanks for the help, Anyone else want to offer any more please ?
                            Is there anywhere I can get an official nintendo rgb lead for the UK SNES ???

Comment

I bought one of the Lik-sang RGB cables a few months ago after several recommendations and I have to say that it was the worst cable I have ever owned! When I switched to the official RGB lead it was like a veil of crap and muck was lifted from in front of the image. When I opened up the Lik-Sang lead, the soldering was shocking (worse than mine when I started out) and it tended to crumble when prodded.

I'm guessing that the PAL vs NTSC SNES comparison could be showing up your TVs poorer NTSC signal processing as I think all the connections in the US & UK Multiout Ports are the same. I may be wrong though
                              yep they are ****e! mine didn't even have the right audio channel wired in

Comment

Working...
                              X