" I marveled at the megadrive, and was stunned by the super famicom "

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

" I marveled at the megadrive, and was stunned by the super famicom "

What the point of this thread is?, im not sure? Just to say i had a massive gaming session over the weekend and gave my new'ish megadrive and sfc there first proper playtest, for want of a better word.
    Suppose you could call it a first impressions type of thing as ive never owned eathier console before! After spending the best part of 18 years!! Um'ing and ar'ing over wether to get a md or sfc i decided to take the plunge late last year and get both!, and now regret waiting sooooo long. Anyone thinking about getting one of these and are unsure if they've stood the test of time, they have! Go for it! But go japanese. My md is pal and my sfc is jpn obviously, and thats the only thing i regret about my purchase and now want to 'mod' my md for full screen full speed action Being a fan of the retro i was excpecting to enjoy both machines but i was totally amazed at just how good the games look/play! Many games, esp on the sfc blow away many of the 2d retro games id been playing on more recent machines! *happy*

Having bought far from mint consoles and carts i was at first quite suprised at all the wiggiling i had to do to get the games running but once id inserted and reinserted the carts a few times the soon sprung into life and now there working like a charm, i played too many games to mention them all but i will mention a few that amazed me and a couple that didnt.
    Generally speaking, and i am a crap player, i found most of the games rock hard compared to modern games for example Probotector and Thunderforce 4 both on the md were as hard as nails but looked incredible, as did The punisher, Streets of rage 2, Midnight resistance and Mercs, i was plesently suprised to find a whole new (new to me) original game as well as the arcade game included on Mercs :-) Castlevania new generation was great as was Splatterhouse 2, Ghosts and goblins, Revenge of shinobi and only a few of the games dissapointed me a little Strider, Shadow dancer and Golden axe, which suprised me, but all were slightly aged imo.

Comment

It was my jpn super famicom that amazed me the most, every game bar super bomberman was fantastic Area 88, Final fight, Contra 3, R-type 3, Mickey magical adventure, Darius twin, Castlevania 4, Gradius 3 all amazing all beautiful to name a few! :-) thanks to everyone how sorted me out with games and stuff on these boards :-)
      Last edited by SuperDanX; 20-02-2006, 07:23.

Comment

[QUOTE=SuperDanX]After spending the best part of 18 years!! Um'ing and ar'ing over wether to get a md or sfc i decided to take the plunge late last year and get both!, QUOTE]

SFC isn't 18 years old and so how can you have been deciding about it back in October 1988? *Pedant*

Comment

I have just spent the weekend on my snes playing all sorts of games. Donkey Kong Country, Plok, Robocop 3, Super Aleste, Sparkster, Super Mario Kart, Run Saber, Sky Blazer, Super Swiv I have so many more to test.

My Donkey Kong Country cart was initially a little temperamental it kept displaying a blue screen saying this cart will not work with an unauthorised copying device, or something along those lines. It now works a charm after a clean. Never played it before, top game but the level in the cart is doing my head in.

Comment

i remember when my friend used to bring his SNES down id love to play on it man, then once i went into hospital and as i was a good boy i was bought a megadrive. So i became the defender of all things SEGA and other mates were NINTENDO fans, we'd have debates and challenges in the playground as to what was better!!!!!
            in my heart of hearts the SNES was graphically better but MD was more rogue and brutish, but BOTH were FANTASTIC!!!!!!-god damn it i wish i could go back to those times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-anyways thought id let you guys know.

Comment

i had a megadrive and my mate had snes sometimes we would swap systems for a week or so.

Standout games that i used to play for his snes super punchout / vortex / starwing/ vortex / killer instinct /doom/stunt race fx/black hawk and weaponlord ( a vastly underated game in my opinion)

Comment

Are there any cheats for Probotector on the megadrive to get a few more lives or something it is so hard i just get slayed before i even get halfway in level 1.

Comment

dude what about MARIO WORLD and MARIO KART, id sit there for hours playing these games man, somebody gimme a delorean so i can go back in time!

Comment

Got mario world too but id played that on the gba so didnt mention it, i consider myself pretty lucky to be playing many of these games for the first time in 2006!

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDanX
                      Are there any cheats for Probotector on the megadrive to get a few more lives or something it is so hard i just get slayed before i even get halfway in level 1.
                      Yah, it's a toughie. Just stick at it. The JPN version is easier, but it'll cost you an arm and a leg.
                      I remember playing the rom on a mate's Xbox a while ago. It was the first time I'd ever played it and I decided there and then to get a real MD and this game as soon as possible, it was that good.

Comment

hell yeah, hard corps / probotector md is the best run'n gun ever IMO. the difficulty just adds to its greatness, when you finally do beat it's such a great feeling. 8)

Comment

Indeed it is that good, better than contra 3 which i used to think was better until i played probotector/hard corps. Its pushs the md so hard with fantasic results a konami miricle. Sadly jpn hard corps is way out of my league price wise so i'll have to get a joypad adaptor so i can play it with my namco stick rather than my old md pad which has a bit of a sticky d-pad and that really dosnt help.

Comment

Bought a Super Famicom off here which i'm looking forward to getting my hands on!, got a couple of Jap games but i can see me needing to pick up some more . Fancy a boxed US SNES and another US SNES to multiregion next...

Comment

Another few super famicom must plays!
                              Super Metroid, some of the sections in that were quite spooky, loved it to pieces and its never been topped by the gba or the godawful cube versions.

The super Bomberman games, highly addictive.

Megadrive stuff

Megalomania, Its a bit of an aqquired taste maybe but I lurrrved this game soo much, but make sure you get the md version as for some bizarre reason there slight edits to the snes version which makes the characters a little duller imo.

Robocop vs Serminator nice big pretty graphics, lots of fun.

Global Gladiators *hides* (Should I be ashamed to admit i loved this mcdonalds advert?)

Oooh retro goodness

Comment

Working...
                              X