Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retro market in Japan could be in trouble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro market in Japan could be in trouble?

According to Engadget, as of April 1st, Japan will be making it illegal to sell any electronics manufactured before April 1st 2001.

No, this isn't an April Fool's Day joke: If you're in Japan and looking for a deal on used gear, your days are numbered, at least if that gear is more than five years old. It seems that Japan's government revised its "Electrical Appliance and Material Safety Law" back in April 2001, and added a stipulation that items authorized under the country's old law (the "Electrical Appliance and Material Control Law") couldn't be sold anymore, but granted those products a five-year grace period. Well, if you check your convenient wall calendar, you'll see that the five-year period is about to end, which means that as of April 1, pretty much any electronic gear sold before April 1, 2001 can't be legally resold in Japan. Note that we said legally. We assume that if you're really jonesing for an original Famicom or parts for your aging Zaurus, you'll find a way to do it. Such as meeting outside the Zoo in Ueno Koen at midnight on Tuesday and asking for Yuki. Just don't mention our name.Update: Well, it looks like you can relax a little. Thanks to Roy at Mutant Frog, we've learned a little more about the intricacies of Japanese law. Turns out that sellers of certain kinds of old gear will have to get a government seal certifying that the items adhere to modern saftey standards if they want to sell the stuff after April 1. Sellers are crying foul, saying that in certain cases, it'll be too hard to get certification, and they may end up dumping their gear -- or exporting it, since it turns out exports are exempt from the new law. So, for the best deals on unsafe old Japanese electrical products, start checking the second-hand markets of Shanghai and Hanoi. Just don't mention our name.[Via Akihabara News]

Now, I'm sure that selling games will be fine (what about carts though?) but couldn't this potentially push up the prices of hardware quite significantly, as consoles would effectively become black market goods?

Originally posted by andrewfee
    According to Engadget, as of April 1st, Japan will be making it illegal to sell any electronics manufactured before April 1st 2001.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/22/j...as-of-april-1/

Now, I'm sure that selling games will be fine (what about carts though?) but couldn't this potentially push up the prices of hardware quite significantly, as consoles would effectively become black market goods?
    I presume that this has been done for "safety concerns" but it is perhaps one of the most stupid laws and wasteful I have ever heard of. I can only hope that rather than filling up landfill sights with old electronics, they have an advanced RoHS & WEEE equivalents in place or are willing to ship it to countires (like China) who could make use of them!

Comment

I don't know the site..nor indeed can I access the article from work..but it screams of April Fools to me (?).

Comment

i would like to see that act in detail, but i would presume that it doesn't include videogames, especially considering the size of the retro market in japan. I would believe that law is there to prevent dodgy second hand dealers selling old TV's and hifi's at the expense of the manufacturer, maybe they should introduce something similar in the UK, just for the sole purpose of putting crack converters out of buisness.

Comment

Come on. April fools.

Comment

Originally posted by Silvergun X
            Come on. April fools.

It's not even March yet

Comment

Well i'm willing to bed some story will pop up on April 1st saying 'Not true, sorry. '

Comment

Even if its true there are so many ways around it, eg selling a game for the price of a console and giving the console away as a 'free' gift.

Comment

Originally posted by halfacandan
                  I presume that this has been done for "safety concerns" but it is perhaps one of the most stupid laws and wasteful I have ever heard of. I can only hope that rather than filling up landfill sights with old electronics, they have an advanced RoHS & WEEE equivalents in place or are willing to ship it to countires (like China) who could make use of them!
                  WEEE and ROHS? Thats exactly what my masters degree is about. Halfacandan, are you involved in the environment in anyway or just very knowledgeable?

Comment

My understanding of the law is that it only affects stuff running mains voltage, and doesn't stop them being exported. So expect to see a flood of 2nd-hand SNESes and N64s arriving, but carts and anything handheld will be fine.

Also, I can easily see a trick with the Nintendo consoles where it'll still be legal to sell them without the power brick. Possibly followed by a niche manufacturer selling brand-new and certified replacements.

Comment

I got a very odd mail the other day about this. It was from a Japanese mail address and in Engrish. Take a look at it and spread it all over the net !!! How they knew I sold stuff is a question I'd love to be answered and who sent it to me? The mail address is came from was - k-nakamoto@ tamron.co.jp and titled SOS from Japan !

Originally posted by odd mail
                      In the beginning, I am sorry to write suddenly long sentences.
                      As victims' representative of it, I dare to write that here.
                      ... to inform lots of people all over the world about that ...

The consumption cultures of Japan are facing a serious crisis by The
                      PSE
                      Standardization (Electrical Appliances And Materials Safety Law) now to
                      prevent the ignition accidents of consumer electronics, it is enacted.
                      Though RoHS looks like this, there are large problems in ruining the
                      Japanese economy!

Buying and selling consumer electronics with built-in power supplies
                      which were made before the year 2001 (3DO¡¦PC-FX¡¦Sega Saturn¡¦Dream
                      Cast¡¦
                      Play Station 1000-9000¡¦Neo-Geo CD etc. correspond in the game
                      machines)
                      will be impossible by this law in April 2006! The auctions too may be
                      restricted!
                      The buying and selling of the repair goods and junks will be also
                      impossible!

The AC adaptors (The main bodies are off the subject) also will be
                      scheduled to
                      become impossible to buy and sell in April 2008! Besides video game
                      consoles,
                      amplifiers, synthesizers, tape-recorders, phonographs, vcrs,
                      cine-projectors,
                      and industrial machines, etc. will be abandoned in large quantities!

It is NOT AT ALL considered for the OTAKU cultures and the managers of
                      recycling shops!
                      The production lines of the factories will stop! Farmers will be
                      impossible
                      to harvest their crops!
                      The business of Japan will be dull again and it will exert a big
                      influence
                      on the world!
                      The environment of Japan will be greatly destroyed and we will be
                      jeered
                      all over the world!
                      Moreover, this decision had not intentionally been notified to people
                      until
                      recently!

By the way, it is recorded in the Constitution of Japan like those.

Article 13:

All of the people shall be respected as individuals.
                      Their right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness shall,
                      to the extent that it does not interfere with the public welfare,
                      be the supreme consideration in legislation and in other governmental
                      affairs.

Article 29:

1)The right to own or to hold property is inviolable.
                      2) Property rights shall be defined by law, in conformity with the
                      public
                      welfare.
                      3) Private property may be taken for public use upon just compensation
                      therefor.

It is obviously a breach of the constitution!
                      In order to raise the unfair advantage, METI and
                      certain electric companies in Japan (specially SONY and PANASONIC)
                      concocted it!
                      They think that disposable electric products are natural!

What do you think about the above-mentioned matters ?

Where are the people who feel doubt about it ?
                      Where are the people who feel shock about it?
                      Where are the people who feel sadness about it?
                      Where are the people who feel anger about it?

Please do not disregard this matter. Please cooperate with us.
                      It is difficult to change the situation only by the public opinion of
                      Japan
                      because it is irrelevant for the person who doesn't buy and sell used
                      consumer
                      electronics. We are glad that foreigners use our industrial commodities
                      and
                      enjoy
                      our culture. We do not want to make them disappointed. We must
                      apologize to
                      the ancestors that the destruction of Japanese environment advances any
                      further.
                      Everything becomes spoiled if it will not do by in April 2006!

Please broadcast this.
                      Please create an opposition movement for this.
                      Please complain to Japanese embassies about this.
                      Please boycott new electrical appliances made in Japan.
                      And, Please copy the full texts and paste them to other pages!

Thank you for all the readers who read full texts!

LINKS

Outline of this law

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry

£?}¡Ý£³¡&Yacut e;£?} Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8901 Japan

TEL:£??£³¡Ý£&s up3;£µ£??£?}¡&Yacute ;£?L£·£??£&middot ;

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Electrical Appliances And Materials Safety Law

The Page of Electrical Appliances And Materials Safety Law

Specific Electrical Appliances

Objects other than specific electric appliance

Task Forces

電気用品安全法(通称PSE法)まとめ ●PSEマークがない電気用品は新品でも中古品でも販売不可です。 ●PSEマークが無くても、販売業者が「製造業者」になるという不可解な手続き&絶縁耐力検査機器メーカ...

http://www.jspa.gr.jp/ (by Ryuichi Sakamoto et al)

NEWS

2001年以前に製造されたAVアンプやシンセサイザーなどが、4月以降、販売できなくなる。「電気用品安全法」が本格施行されるためで、中古販売店は対応に追われ、愛好家も嘆いている。

2001年以前に製造されたAVアンプやシンセサイザーなどが、4月以降、販売できなくなる。「電気用品安全法」が本格施行されるためで、中古販売店は対応に追われ、愛好家も嘆いている。

Shops that started limitation of buying

To tell the truth, accidents happen frequently although they are PSE
                      recognized goods! What does the PSE recognition mean?

製品評価技術基盤機構のホームページです。製品安全分野の情報を掲載しています。

平素は当社製品に格別のお引き立てを賜り厚く御礼申し上げます。 当社が2004年11月に発売しました小型・薄型「プレイステーション2」(PS2)『SCPH-70000 CB (チャコール・ブラック)』の一部に不良のACアダ […]

I checked out the softmap link and it does seem 100% true. I say **** 'em ! They can kiss my arse ! It's like living in some communist country bringing a crap law out like that. What about the recycle shops such as Hard Off ?

Yakumo

Comment

thats it Yakumo, fight the power! i can do my part as well i could type out a fairly rude email and send it to the japanesse government, that should teach them. Bastards

Comment

Buying and selling consumer electronics with built-in power supplies
                          which were made before the year 2001
                          Of course those of us who like 'proper' gaming know that consoles with external psus, say pce and md for example, are the only ones that count .

Seriously though, is it not more panic than problem? Can't the shops get pse accredited/trained etc?

Otherwise get in quick lads with your hardware buys. If you don't...black market dodginess time awaits you.

Comment

I had slightly read this wrong, and I had been thinking it meant they'd have to sell such things overseas instead (i.e. a win for us, or more accurately - eBay), but if the actual act of selling is illegal, then that's obviously not going to happen. I'd been contemplating selling my NTSC-J Dreamcast, definitely not going to now!

Comment

Working...
                            X