Classic Arcades at Afflecks Palace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classic Arcades at Afflecks Palace

I went up to Manchester the other week and visited every stinking student's mecca, Afflecks Palace. For anyone who doesn't know it's basically a few floors of second-hand clothes shops, tat and other things that students seem to find interesting.

However, I've noticed a few arcade machines popping up all over the building of late, and as I discovered on this more recent visit, there's now quite a collection. I've attached photos of Truxton/Tatsujin and Robocop (sorry for the camera-phone quality), which were on the top floor next to a stand-up version of Sega Rally. However they also have the original Wonderboy and Captain Commando on the first floor - meaning it's well worth a look if you're ever after some retro-goodness.
    Last edited by Duddyroar; 22-01-2007, 11:26.

Excellent place They have an R-Type Leo knocking around somewhere, last I looked it was with the two pinball tables.

Comment

Yeah I noticed a few of those as well this weekend, just hanging in the stair wells not being used

Also saw a Sega Rally in Liverpool Airport iirc between the 2nd & 3rd gate. One screen was a bit crap though.

Comment

nitebycandlelite - Leo is no longer there - at least it's not by the pinball tables anymore - Truxton and Robocop are now. It's quite possible that it was somewhere else and I missed it - shame, I would have popped a few coins into that one.

They really should have them all together in one place, then it would look more impressive.

Comment

I've not been in years, I used to see one or two machines, say 2, 3 years ago.

Not bad.

Comment

I remmebr back when I was a pikey student in Manc - Afflecks had a turbo outrun machine. mmmmmmm Afflecks. Is the bar still underneath it. Used to be Iso-bar. I saw Grooveriderr dj their around 97 ish and he came on and dropped a remix of pacific state and because the roof was low, when all thescally rude boys got their lighters out the nylon hanging from the ceiling went up in a sheet of melting dripping plastic. Ahh happy days.

Sorry well off topic, just having a reminis about the good old days.

Comment

Friend of mine tried to take me to Affleck's Palace once. The sheer grottiness of it (and the assembled group of trenchcoat wearing goths by the entrance) put me off somewhat.

Comment

I couple of friends of mine make a point of going there everytime we're in Manchester. I'm not too keen on the place anymore though, as I have yet to find anything of any interest there.

Comment

Well Pelicanneck used to be upstairs there when I lived in Manchester, it was worth braving the students just for that. Good for the old vinyls but I gather it's moved somewhere else now.

I do have some good memories of the place though.

Comment

There used to be a brilliant shop on the top floor that sold Japanese-related crap, I bought two really cool Gundam action figures for a fiver there once...the guys who were running the shop had an N64 setup and were playing that inbetween serving customers!

That was at least five years ago now though...the most depressing aspect of Affleck's is that the shops contained within only seem to have a six-month lifespan, there's new ones there every time I go, it's only that the quality of said stores seems to be dropping every year.

You can only have so many second-hand clothes shops in one place, after all.

Comment

Pelican Neck has just moved a few blocks away basically, I think Turner Street is the name, it's at the High Street end.

Comment

Duddy did you check out the Arcade at the bottom of Oldham street?.. I've not been in there for ages, which is sad considering I work in Manchester about 15 mins walk from the centre!...

Comment

I thought this was going to be a thread about the actor Ben affleck having a collection of classic arcade machines in his house! Seriously,im that stupid..

Comment

chojin - No mate - I don't know Manchester that well TBH, I only go to visit my brother-in-law and he's not a big gamer so he wouldn't have visited any arcades!

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDanX
                              I thought this was going to be a thread about the actor Ben affleck having a collection of classic arcade machines in his house! Seriously,im that stupid..
                              Waits in the stupid line with danx...

Comment

Working...
                              X