The original Super Shinobi (Mega Drive)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The original Super Shinobi (Mega Drive)

There's been quite a bit of talk about this lately so I've taken a few shots of my version of the game which is the original first print release that includes Rambo, Spiderman, Batman and Godzilla. Later prints of this game had these removed apart from Spiderman who was given a bit of license text at the beginning of the game.

First here are the changed characters

RAMBO - This guy was later changed for a generic soldier.

BATMAN - As you can see this Batman looks like Batman but later versions of the game had him changed in to a some ragged looking bat creature effort.

SPIDERMAN - Spidy managed to say in the later versions of the game and was also given credit at the beginning. Not too sure if he looks any different in this version or not.

GODZILLA - Godzilla was changed in to a skeleton dino which to be honest looked like crap.

Here is what my cartridge and packing looks like.

The serial number is G-4019 and written on the games cover and back of the instruction book. There is no code written on the cartridge. The barcode is 4974365540197

Yakumo

I didn't realise this, I have the same Japanese version as you. I also have a PAL version at school, I will check it out this week.

Comment

This title is worlds apart from the Shinobi I used to play on the game gear when i was younger

Comment

On my modded MD, if i have the game switch set to US/UK Lang then none of these characters are present, but if i change it to JAP then they are.

Comment

I've got this version too. Does that mean that it's now worth something (not that I'll get rid of it, I love this game)? Also, if you stick a PAL Revenge of Shinobi into one of them switchable convertors, does it come up as the Japanese version?

Comment

What's odd is, I discovered the game in PAL version and it doesn't have the actual batman (but the ragged flying thing, as you said) or the rambo guys, but it does have the regular godzilla. Only the Spiderman licence is mentioned on the title screen.

Didn't know there were so many versions of the game.

Comment

I have a partially translated interview with the producer of Super Shinobi on my PC at home. I don't think I'll ever finish translating it but I'll put it up here for you to read.
              There are several version of japanese Super Shinobi and only the very first ones include the original Batman and Godzilla. Yakumo's version of Godzilla does not include the spines on it's back.
              I've checked many copies of SS for a real first print but my chances of finding one in the UK are very low. There is no packaging varaiation to help only way to find out is to first see if the Spiderman copyright text is included. if it's not then you have to play through to the Batman boss.

Comment

You mean there's an even earlier version than mine ? I thought the one I had was the first print. I remember seeing a Godzilla with spines on it's back but Ithought that was a beta version. Looks like you learn something every day

Yakumo

Comment

This game was class think i still have it somewhere.

Was the saturn sequel any good?

Comment

Pretty sure my pal version didn't have batman and rambo but godzilla was like in your version yakumo.

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy
                      This game was class think i still have it somewhere.

Was the saturn sequel any good?
                      It's quite nasty IMO. Has those horrible Mortal Kombat-style digitised graphics that were popular for all of 5mins in the '90s.

Comment

Dont listen to Kubrik

It's awsome with some narly fmv's and a dinosaur hand puppet.

But I would like it wouldnt I :/

Comment

The dinosaur hand puppet is pure class. Actually the digitized graphics look pretty nice even now. The first stage is very pretty. I did a feature on the JPN version Vs the PAL one on volume 17 of Retro Core or was it volume 16? It is a bit crap though but not a total waste.

Yakumo

Comment

wasent there another shinobi game for the megadrive to ? (not shadow dancer)

Comment

super shinobi 2, in my opinion a big improvement over the original revenge of shinobi, not everyone rates it that highly but i love it!!

Weirdly i was just bigging it up on the mean machines forum!
                              Time Extension brings you the latest news and features from the world of retro gaming. Giving retro and classic games more time to shine and so much more.

Shadow dancer is my fav shinobi though! Sik em fido!!

Comment

Working...
                              X