so i just played super mario bros......and couldn't do it on one continue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so i just played super mario bros......and couldn't do it on one continue

i've recently been playing on super mario allstars lately and today decided to try have a go at super mario bros, brilliant, timeless as always, but i swear it was easier than this? am i getting old before my time? i can remember completing this on one continue when i was 10, whats happening to me, is my retro skills failing me? I did fine until world 7 where the game threw everything at me, if i can't do super mario bros on one continue i haven't got a chance of hell of completing super mario bros 2 (aka lost levels).

You know what i'm not going to give up until i complete this damn game on one continue

Played this quite recently and can do it on one man, and although it isn't difficult it is a nice feeling completing a game without dying (no warps)

As for lost levels, lol, that is one of the hardest 2-d games i've played, i know it will come with practice, but it was a relief to complete it with um, too many continues!

I know what you're saying about perhaps losing abilty skill, i'm 100% sure i was better a games when i was a kid, i had a belief that games could be beat with one life or no continues, i even beat gradius, when i play a modern shoot em up now, they're just too difficult, my thinking would of been different 15 years ago, but oh well, i'm still enjoying games and i'll keep on playing until the love dies, which hopefully will never come!

Comment

You probably haven't lost any skill. You probably just had fewer games when you were younger, so you put more effort into the ones you had and played them more.

I know that was the case with me during the SNES era. I simply couldn't afford to buy a new game (costing a minimum of ? 49.99) every week/month, so thrashed the hell out of the ones I had untill I could afford another one.

Comment

That level 8-3 is a git, isn't it?

The problem is when you die and you have to start a stage with no power-ups, especially in the later stages where there are few or no mushrooms and so many ways to die.

Comment

Originally posted by Kubrick
          You probably haven't lost any skill. You probably just had fewer games when you were younger, so you put more effort into the ones you had and played them more.

I know that was the case with me during the SNES era. I simply couldn't afford to buy a new game (costing a minimum of ? 49.99) every week/month, so thrashed the hell out of the ones I had untill I could afford another one.
          Oh so true, i made a deal with my mum..salamander and mike tysons punch out were in a club nintendo magazine, she said she would buy me one if i saved for the other, it was very hard, not that saving is hard but when you have a few quid a week to buy 40 pound games!

I also played kung fu for many many months, i still don't think it is a patch on the arcade version though (kung fu master) but got good at that too. Can notch 500,000 on the arcade too, but only when i had my cab, couldn't do it with another method.

Remember reading about someone at gamefaqs getting extremely good at ikaruga when they did the competition, and he says he wasn't very good at games as such but he put the hours in, but with so many games at hand, so many accesible good games at affordable prices, it is so easy just to move on to another then go back to another, i don't think i have gotten good like i used to at a game in a while, sometimes just enjoying a game and completing it is enough for me now, although watching vids of people who do master games gets me excited and jealous and kinda spurs me to play games like i used to, i recently said that i would attempt to one man/credit legend of hero tonma, and i have managed to get to the end of level 3 on one man, not quite got it worked out yet, but i've definitely got better and it has required time and effort, i believe that if you have co-ordination skills, and i guess most of us here do as i've seen people without them and they can't play games (poor things!) its just a question of putting the time in, there is satisfaction to be had, i remember when i first chained a 100 on stage one on ikaruga, it was such a great feeling, i punched the air, shame about stage 2, that beginning bit was as fast as **** and i used the defeatist attitide i never used to have, ahh man, i'm going on, sorry, i'm sure you'll do super mario
          Last edited by ShadowDancer; 26-02-2006, 22:59.

Comment

The original brown bricks SMB? Not sure how you can still stomach that. I loved it as kid, and played it a lot... But once you go SMB3, you don't go back, man.

Comment

Originally posted by Szczepaniak
              The original brown bricks SMB? Not sure how you can still stomach that. I loved it as kid, and played it a lot... But once you go SMB3, you don't go back, man.
              i love every mario bros game, although i have never completed smb 3 also , the last world always gets me

too right i'm not going to let this game beat me, i shall never give up until i make super mario bros 1 my bitch

Comment

i gave up

i am offically a loser/ quitter/ failure (select which one is more appropriate)

Comment

Only 2 days of trying? O.o bah! I cant say I finished 1 or 3 but I did finish 2 loved it

Comment

Aye, SMB is a pretty tough game, especially on one credit. I don't know why you expected to sail through it on your first attempt in years, mate - it takes quite a bit of practice! :P

Originally posted by Szczepaniak
                    You know I like the cut of your jib (beautiful Super Metroid review, etc), but that's rubbish.

Stick it on some time, it's still a hell of a lot of fun. In fact, pick up SMB Deluxe for the GBC - you won't put it down for ages! It has so much unlockable content. Hell, it even includes the Japanese SMB2 (or "Lost Levels"), which you can unlock if you score 300,000. Plenty of impetus to keep playing!

Comment

lol, it's not that I think it's a bad game, it's one of the first I had with my Famicom and I loved it to bits back in the day. I just played it to death back then and haven't gone back to it in ages. I still have it, maybe it's time to dust off the cart and see just how brown all those bricks really are. Actually, I need to see if I can still do the brick jumping trick and make it to the minus world.

As for Lost Levels, I gave away my bootleg FC cartridge years ago.

Comment

Even better!

It makes the NES Classics release look like the cheekiest swindle ever.

Comment

Same here muse hunter, I've been trying to complete since I got my NES in september >__<

Damn hard, I've completed it on the Game Boy Colour though, obvisoully with the help of the Save system.

Comment

Originally posted by Klatrymadon
                            Even better!

It makes the NES Classics release look like the cheekiest swindle ever.
                            IIRC, the GBC version was a poor conversion with juddery scrolling and slowdown. GBA version though is perfect

Comment

Why not make it a race? (sorry if old)

Comment

Working...
                              X