Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Before Virtua Tennis, the champion was...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before Virtua Tennis, the champion was...

SUPER TENNIS!

What a great game. I have memories of playing this during summer holidays at high school and stuck it in my Super Famicom again recently, discovering that I had become utterly rubbish at it before rediscovering my form.
    As far as 16-bit tennis simulations go, Super Tennis is probably the best known and most rounded package. The option to play on grass, clay or hard courts is present and match lengths are selectable from one, three or a full five sets. 20 selectable characters are also available, all with their different attributes to complement your desired play style.
    Controls are fairly intuitive, face buttons offering ground strokes, top spin, lob and slice, all shots being obviously different from each other when played, with L and R enabling spin for that extra bit of opponent-beating after touch to take advantage of the court's angles.
    Visually, Super Tennis is functional, but wholly effective. You don't need pyrotechnics on the tennis court, that sort of thing is reserved for Mario and chums. There aren't too many humerous touches or frivolities, but Super Tennis doesn't really need them. There's certainly no padding out of points with cut-aways, the likes of which plague Virtua Tennis series.
    Initially, the perspective can be a bit hard to get used to but helpful markers such as the ball's shadow and bounce point aid you in soon becoming a pro.
    You'll need to be a pro too, to be able to beat the hardest opponent, Don J, who appears to have a home court in something approximating hell, although going by a map he looks to have set up home in the Prince Edward Islands which are volcanic so I guess that suits him well.
    The only features missing from Super Tennis that would have been welcome are multi-tap compatibility for four player action and battery back-up for your saves, 52-character long passwords being excessive to note down and input, even for stalwarts of the 16-bit days. Other than these minor ommissions though, Super Tennis offers a great tennis simulation that moves along at a good pace and most importantly remains fun 15 years on.

Super Tennis. It's still super.
    8/10
    Attached Files

Think the only tennis game i played before virtua tennis was pete sampras for the megadrive.

That two extra ports built into the cartridge was such a great idea

Comment

The only 'tennis' game i ever played was pong, and if you really think about it, has it ever been bettered? Not that id dream of ever playing it again.

Comment

You are spot on Vertigo. Messed about with this the other day and soon regained my form.

Although people sometimes rate Smash Tennis above this, I never played it.

I do belive that the Virtua Tennis series have surpassed this now, but still an amazing game.

Comment

so many nice touches to this game.
          great memories of trying to chase the ball boy and whack him in the head.
          in 2 player occaisionally being able to carry on rallies long after the point has been won.
          and obviously bad calls from the umpire every so often

smash court was cool with 4 players, and the weird courts, but super was deffinately better

Comment

I look forward to Virtua Tennis 3 as its supposed to be geting a console release for PS3 and Xbox 360.

I personally hate Top Spin and it's lame risk shots, takes all the fun out of the game.

Comment

Click on the 'Read Original Review' button...

Comment

Played VT3 at ATEI.
                BORING! Same old same old. Get your Dreamcast out instead and save yourself some money.

Comment

Originally posted by Duddyroar
                  And here's what Super Play said:
                  Attached Files

Comment

fantastic game, I loved this back in the day.. in fact i've just bought this boxed and minty for $7!!.. result.. loved the speech, "LET" when you hit the net on the serve.. oh I was easily impressed in the 90's!

Comment

Excellent thread, vertigo.

One of the all-time sports-videogaming greats, no doubt.

Comment

****!

This game is still brilliant, i dont think it has hardly aged and it still plays very well. One of the first games i ever played on the snes and possibly my favourite.

Comment

Of course... if anyone wanted to add me to their MSN and have a net-play over ZSNES, I'd be more than happy to oblige.

Comment

Super Tennis was/is grand. I also really enjoyed Namco's Anna Kournikova's Smash Court Tennis on PSone.

Comment

Originally posted by vertigo
                              Of course... if anyone wanted to add me to their MSN and have a net-play over ZSNES, I'd be more than happy to oblige.
                              hehehe...I might take you up on that sometime soon.

You can only conquer Circuit Mode and thrash Don J in straight sets so many times - I need a genuine challenge.

Comment

Working...
                              X