A Scanner Darkly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Scanner Darkly

Just saw the trailer for this and have posted a link.

Stars Keanu Reeves and judging by the trailer this looks like a bit of a must see.

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf...626786&intl=us

The Higher res Quicktime version is also available (around 30Mb)

Can't wait to watch this one - should be something different from the norm

Comment

I don't think I could watch an entire movie rendered in that form. It's a bit trite, non?

Comment

It does look v cool - got a trailer for it on my Region 1 The Jacket so been waiting for it since then.

Comment

Originally posted by Spatial101
          The Higher res Quicktime version is also available (around 30Mb)

http://pdl.warnerbros.com/wip/us/med...lr2_qt_700.mov

Can't wait to watch this one - should be something different from the norm
          Top! Far better than the Yahoo trailers.

Comment

Looks good having just read the book it'll be intresting to see how this turns out.

Comment

wow thats different! could be interesting to see

Comment

it's kinda been done before.

Waking Life...

not exactly, but the style is very similar. I'd recommend this movie too, same director, though it's more of a philosophical vehicle. Does feature a philip k dick anecdote to keep the movie connection going between the 2 films.

Comment

Have you ever been put off a movie that has the potential to be great just by the title alone? 'A Scanner Darkly', for no particular reason, just rubs me up the wrong way.

Much like 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' did, which I heard was excellent but I just couldn't bring myself to see a movie with such a godawful title.

That aside, this movie looks interesting. Yes, the technique is nothing new and I would hope that it's being used with good reason but it's definitely interesting.

Comment

sorry to go ot with following Doggs post, that Kiss Kiss Bang Bang always reminds me of Max& Paddy :P

on topic tho, i cant say ive seen something like this before so to me its new

Comment

While I like the rotoscoping effect, I would have thought that something like Ubik or The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch was more suited to that kind of surreal animation. A Scanner Darkly was the most 'normal' novel I've read of PKD's so far. Should be interesting to see how it turns out. I wonder if having someone else animate Keanu Reeves' face will make him better or worse.

Comment

It's not really "surreal", though, is it? Certainly not to gamers, where cel-shading is fairly hackneyed. Auto Modellista does not a surreal game make...

Comment

Sir I couldn't agree more. The film will no doubt be really good (haven't seen a P K Dick film adap I haven't liked), but the rotoscoping is pointlessness incarnate.

Comment

I'll be watching it. The effect could become annoying but as Chad says, it's a PKD story.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadruharazzeb
                              Sir I couldn't agree more. The film will no doubt be really good (haven't seen a P K Dick film adap I haven't liked), but the rotoscoping is pointlessness incarnate.
                              *cough* Impostor. Or did you like that, chappee? Complete with stolen Starship Troopers clips and costumes.

Comment

Working...
                              X