Japanese Saturn shopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Saturn shopping

My sister's going to Japan at the end of the month and I've decided to use it as an excuse to finally indulge in a Japanese saturn. I think I'm going to try and pick up an import model over here and send her off with a list of games.

I've set myself a budget of about ?200. Now for some reason she's not wanting to trawl loads of shops for me , so I'm asking out of the list below I've come up with which are the best to aim for so I can get the most for my money, in which shops and what sort of prices should she expect to get. The games only need to be in reasonable condition, not too fussed about spine cards at this stage.

She's going to be in Hiroshima and then move onto Tokyo towards the end. She'll have a japanese speaking, english friend with her to help her out. I'm mostly interested in picking up shooters and a few others, not really too bothered about any fighters at the moment.

Any other tips I could pass on to her would be greatly appreciated , also if there are any titles you think I've overlooked I'm open to recommendations, thanks for the help!

The list:

Battle Garegga
    Bubble Symphony
    Darius II
    Darius Gaiden
    Darkseed
    Daytona USA Circuit Edition
    DonPachi
    Dodonpachi
    Dracula X
    Elevator Action Returns
    Guardian Heroes
    Gunbird
    Layer Section
    Layer Section II
    Magical Drop 3
    Metal Slug
    NiGHTS
    Christmas NiGHTS
    Panzer Dragoon
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei
    Parodius - Deluxe Pack
    Parodius Forever With Me
    Sexy Parodius
    Puyo Puyo Sun
    Saturn Bomberman
    Sega Ages - Afterburner II
    Sega Rally Championship
    Shin Shinobi Den
    Snatcher
    Sonic Jam
    Sonic R
    Thunder Force V
    X-Men Children Of The Atom

Nice list, but some are quite expensive, so don't count on getting all of them for ?200

Comment

If shes fit I`ll help her.

Comment

Originally posted by JAPJAC
        If shes fit I`ll help her.
        Me too!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kubrick
          Nice list, but some are quite expensive, so don't count on getting all of them for ?200
          Kubricks right im afraid,very differant situation now getting hold of the big name JAP Saturn games over there for good prices,anyway goodluck to you!!!

Im sure she can get you a few from your list......

Comment

I wouldn't mind going on a trip to Japan...

I'd have to fedex everything back to me, because i'd go crazy buying tons of stuff

Comment

Cheers for the advice guys, looks like the list is going to need some serious trimming then. Especially since having picked up a lovely boxed white Saturn I can't seem to resist picking up the odd few games to tide me over for now

Comment

That's probably the best idea. Get you sis to get the really rare ones...

Comment

Not sure how far 200 quid will get you through the list, but i'd suggest you drop Darkseed unless you are buying it for sell on value. Of course, you need japanese skills to play it in japanese, and it's not really stood the test of time very well - it's rare, sure, but not worth owning (unless, as mentioned, you are just getting it to sell on)

Comment

The only reason I wanted Darkseed so badly is I have fond memories of it on the amiga but if it's not aged too well then I guess unless it's a bargain basement price I can pass. Language wouldn't be a problem though as I have access to my own personal translator, even if she doesn't know it yet .

It's not my intention to sell anything on either, I just want to maximise what I can get for my money rather than shelling out loads on ebay over here.

Originally posted by DCharlie
                    Not sure how far 200 quid will get you through the list, but i'd suggest you drop Darkseed unless you are buying it for sell on value. Of course, you need japanese skills to play it in japanese, and it's not really stood the test of time very well - it's rare, sure, but not worth owning (unless, as mentioned, you are just getting it to sell on)

Comment

The only reason I wanted Darkseed so badly is I have fond memories of it on the amiga but if it's not aged too well then I guess unless it's a bargain basement price I can pass. Language wouldn't be a problem though as I have access to my own personal translator, even if she doesn't know it yet
                      yeah, i had great memories of the amiga version and was the reason i picked it up. well, that and to show the other half what i thought was a great game...

she just sat and blinked at the screen.

It's not my intention to sell anything on either, I just want to maximise what I can get for my money rather than shelling out loads on ebay over here.
                      yeah, it's not actually that expensive here if you can find it. It's the finding that is the hard part. I keep regretting not picking up Darkseed 2, perhaps that's a better option?

Comment

yeah, i had great memories of the amiga version and was the reason i picked it up. well, that and to show the other half what i thought was a great game...

she just sat and blinked at the screen.
                        Brilliant! It all came back to me recently with the whole 'Good morning, Mr Dawson' if I remember it right, I don't think I ever managed to get very far at all with a few hours play ending in a horrible alien/brain related death.

Is the speech in english still or has that been translated too?

yeah, it's not actually that expensive here if you can find it. It's the finding that is the hard part. I keep regretting not picking up Darkseed 2, perhaps that's a better option?
                        I wasn't even aware of a sequel! Will definitely be putting that on the order list just for curiosities sake, cheers!

Comment

Brilliant! It all came back to me recently with the whole 'Good morning, Mr Dawson' if I remember it right, I don't think I ever managed to get very far at all with a few hours play ending in a horrible alien/brain related death.

Is the speech in english still or has that been translated too?
                          speech is in english if my memory serves me correctly.

It's shocking - i remember being stunned at the speech on the Amiga, but it really is pretty bad

"wow - my head is killing me" (or words to that effect...) in a really hammy horrible voice...

Darkseed 2 :

here you go -

Comment

Hmm...maybe the memory is better left untarnished.

Cheers for the link though!

Comment

I was playing Darkseed on the Saturn not that long ago. Here's what I had to say about it over at my site.

Originally posted by Segagaga Domain
                              Much acclaimed adventure horror from the PC comes to the Saturn and yes, its fully in English or at least the speech is anyway. The problem is that the game looks really old to be honest. The speech is also quite annoying thanks to the main character repeating himself time and time again. I suppose if you are looking for something odd then this will fit the bill but apart from that it's not really worth bothering with.
                              Yakumo

Comment

Working...
                              X