Reviving the FF Love!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reviving the FF Love!

Well I've finally decided it was time for me to get my mitts on FFVII again after 6 long years and I'm taking the plunge! Thing is, I'm not sure which format I should go for.. I mean it would def have to be the ntsc-us version (id go jap but dont really speak that much of it) but where to play it? Here are my options:

Chiped Pal PS
    US PS
    Chiped Pal PS2
    US PS2

I prefferably wouldnt get the PS one due to nostalgia. The original PS is still oh so sexy IMO! So what u guys reckon?

Definatly the PSone mate, Feels dirty playing it on a pstwo IMO!!

If you get a chipped ps1 then make sure it's modded with a stealth chip so you don't have any probs if u decide to play FF8 or 9 as well.

I'm modding someone else's machine on the forum next week with a stealth IV so gimme a shout if u want one doing too.

Jay

Comment

TBH, you can pick up the PAL version for a fair price these days...wasn't the game optimised for PAL release? Seems daft having to buy an additional console when you have the tools to play the game already...

Of course I'm only assuming you already have a PAL PS/PS2.

Comment

Originally posted by Duddyroar
        TBH, you can pick up the PAL version for a fair price these days...wasn't the game optimised for PAL release? Seems daft having to buy an additional console when you have the tools to play the game already...

Of course I'm only assuming you already have a PAL PS/PS2.
        Nope dont have one mate. Plus i wanna play in 60 hz so why get the pal one? (already own a sealed pal copy!)

Comment

dp
          Last edited by dataDave; 10-03-2006, 11:23.

Comment

PS2 using the optical output for the sound.

OR....

On the US PSOne with official 5" LCD monitor.

I can do both coz I'm ace.

I normally play through once every 2 yrs. last time I played I got everyone up to lvl.99 with everything near enough done in 89 hours. it's possible to just melee through the caves at the end. I'm gonna leave it for a couple of years before going back.

I don't think there is much difference between UK + import versions.
            Last edited by dataDave; 10-03-2006, 11:24.

Comment

Does it load a lot faster on a ps2?

Comment

Also there were some psone usa only rpgs like xeno saga and chrono cross.

I have a chipped usa ps2 will play pal games but there is some sort of alignment problems (basically about 1 inch at the base of the picture is missing)

Comment

Nope dont have one mate. Plus i wanna play in 60 hz so why get the pal one?
                  Fair enough mate. I've just never understood the 'import for import's sake' attitude. If there's a game that was never released in the UK, or the PAL conversion is shoddy, then fine, but like I said I think Sony did a pretty good job with the UK version of FFIV.

Comment

Kyo - give me a shout as I have a fully chipped PS1 up for grabs if you want it. Not tried the later FFs on it, but it has so far played everything I have tried in it.

Comment

I'd say all the PAL FF's are horrible conversions with disgusting borders and the slow down to boot. I've played all versions of FFIX so I spotted the difference with the PAL version. That's the first time I noticed that something not right with "PAL". Anyway, I was thinking of getting NTSC versions of the PS FF's some day but I've heard that FFVIII has some sort of protection in it, so that you can't play it on a modded console. I have a "Rockman 2" for PS and I had to remove the protection off it and make a backup for me to play it years ago with my modded PS. Never tried it on my PS2... I have an Infinity 1.38 on my PS2. Would FFVIII NTSC U/C work on it?

Comment

danholo - I second about the Final Fantasy Conversions, thats why I sold them all and re-bought the usa releases a month ago.

AFAIK the only modchip that works properly with the later protected multi-disc FF games is the Stealth IV modchip with it's 6-wire install rather than the usual 4. It's what I've put in mine and works great and I know it's definatly fine for FF8 (Which is protected)

I can get constant supply of these if anyone wants one for themselves, or I can install for ?5's worth of trouble.

Jay

Comment

Originally posted by jeimuzu_uk
                          I can get constant supply of these if anyone wants one for themselves, or I can install for ?5's worth of trouble.
                          I could be after a install

Comment

Originally posted by Dandy_sephy
                            I could be after a install
                            And me please, PSX or PSOne?.

Comment

Doesn't matter if it's PSX or PSOne. works perfectly in both.

The only "issue" is that if you have a PSOne the chip will default it's home region to NTSC. So when you boot the machine the memory card / audio screen will output in 60hz full screen etc.

It's not really an issue as I prefer it this way, but if you're using one of the official Sony LCD screens then obviously the screen doesn't like the NTSC signal....once a pal game boots however it will return to 50hz. (Just making the LCD users aware)

Anyone who's interested pop me a PM and we'l work something out.

Comment

Working...
                              X