Final Fight Tips in CVG/Mean Machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final Fight Tips in CVG/Mean Machines

Gary Harrod, the clever chappy behind the artwork featured in Mean Machines, sent in some cool Final Fight tips to CVG way back in the day. These were printed and in turn got him noticed by Julian Rignall (editor at the time). Gary then went on to work on many of EMAP's magazines, and the rest as they say, is history.

The Final Fight tips were reprinted in colour for issue 5 of MM...have a gander and enjoy. They don't do tips like this anymore! The colour version is pretty low-quality, but I couldn't attach a bigger file!
    Last edited by Duddyroar; 22-01-2007, 11:26.

Those are quality. Just bought a SNES with Final Fight so they will come in handy! Didn't Radion Automatic get his job the same way?
    Don't look at me, I'm irrelevant.

Comment

Yeah - he sent in two comic strips, and they hired him as a staff writer.

Comment

Very nice, very nice indeed, they don't make'em like they used too!

By the way is it me or do the screen shots in the colour version look like they were taken from the arcade game?

Comment

It also says famicom. Sloppy indeed.

Comment

I'm guessing the screenies are from the SNES version - as we all know, the second player was taken out of the SNES version, and the location of the second player's life bar was replaced with data on the last enemy you attacked. If you look on page two, one of the screenshots has the enemy data in this location.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M
              Very nice, very nice indeed, they don't make'em like they used too!

By the way is it me or do the screen shots in the colour version look like they were taken from the arcade game?
              im pretty sure thats the sfc game, it really does look that good! I know its not a complete convertion of the coin op but its my favorite of the home versions i have (gba/ps2/sfc)

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDanX
                im pretty sure thats the sfc game, it really does look that good! I know its not a complete convertion of the coin op but its my favorite of the home versions i have (gba/ps2/sfc)
                Why is it your fave? No Guy and no 2player? and PC-raped enemies?

Comment

Cos its the one i lusted and drooled over the most, for no other reason :-)

Comment

and PC-raped enemies?
                    The Jap version retained the girlies.

Comment

Here's some more Harrod-goodness - Gynoug tips from issue 6 of MM.

Gotta love Harrod's art style - I've not seen anyone since who can match it.
                      Last edited by Duddyroar; 22-01-2007, 11:26.

Comment

I remember reading those FF tips way back when - I'd never seen sprites so big before, & instantly fell in love.

Comment

Ahh gynoug one of my first import games ever bought along with my asian megadrive (along with japanese versions of hellfire/eswat/bad omen)

Comment

Ok looks like I was wrong the timer is also red in the SNES version but there is just something about a couple of those pictures that don't look like the SNES version. Any way I've posted a few Final Fight pictures from the SNES and Arcade version.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Gary Harrod was the daddy of illustrators!!

Comment

Working...
                              X