I'm in retro heaven!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in retro heaven!

Just completed Ristar on the mega drive yesterday! And what an amazing game it is too! Best 2 hours of my life! Bliss!!

Anyone else share the love?

I haven't played Ristar for ages, but I know what you mean. Sometimes you play an old classic title for a couple of hours, and come away smiling far more than you do with most modern titles. I completed Sonic1 the other day, and the combination of fun, music, and simplicity had me buzzing with retro joy!

Comment

Had a lazy Sunday in bed yesterday. Played and completed SOR 2 with my girlfriend. Best way to spend the day of rest IMO

Comment

I'v been having a dreamcast fest, in particular the fantastic marvel vs capcom. Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Skull Commander
          I'v been having a dreamcast fest, in particular the fantastic marvel vs capcom. Love it!
          I must say I DO love my little ol' DC but I still dont see it as retro yet.. Still doesnt give u that lovely retro feel the MD and SNES do..

Comment

Just had a blast through Gynoug and Thunder Force IV. WOW!! What a rush! I got to the sixth level on tf today! WHAT A HARD GAME!! Is that the final level?

Comment

I felt like that bout a month and a half ago when i set up my NES and finished Double Dragon, mix of woohoo from finishing it and nostalgia as this NES and DD werent ebay bought they were the orignals that were purchased for my older brother at Christmas when they first came out, back when i was 3 or 4. Just loved the fact that the NES still worked after all this time.

Comment

Ristar easily my favourite Megadrive game, remember staying up all night when i was a kid and finished the game with all the treasures. Oh how i love Ristar

Comment

Ristars fantastic, one of few platformers that can compare to the sonics imo
                  Originally posted by kyo_244
                  I must say I DO love my little ol' DC but I still dont see it as retro yet.. Still doesnt give u that lovely retro feel the MD and SNES do..
                  Well yeah but mavel vs capcon is still in a retro genre

Comment

Originally posted by MegaMan X
                    Ristar easily my favourite Megadrive game, remember staying up all night when i was a kid and finished the game with all the treasures. Oh how i love Ristar
                    Share the Ristar love! Hope your playing it in 60hz mind. Got all the treasures aswell barr one.. p.s LOVE the avatar!

Originally posted by Samurai Matt
                    Ristars fantastic, one of few platformers that can compare to the sonics imo
                    Well yeah but mavel vs capcon is still in a retro genre
                    Yeah I think sonic team had a bit to do with the development of ristar. Says it somewhere on the back of the box..

So anyone else been playing thunder force 4? Tried beating it again yest but no luck! Keep losing on the 6th level..

Comment

Originally posted by kyo_244
                      Just had a blast through Gynoug and Thunder Force IV. WOW!! What a rush! I got to the sixth level on tf today! WHAT A HARD GAME!! Is that the final level?
                      No, there are 10. And it's not that hard a game if you concentrate and use the right weapons at the right time Give you a tip, on level 6 and 8 you want the Hunter weapon and you'll breeze through, but on level 6 you want to switch out of it to something like Blade or Freeway when the bastard thing with the 8-way spikes turns up.
                      Don't forget that there's a 1-up on every level too. Also, I do the levels in order Air Raid, Ruin, Strite, Daser. Air Raid gives you the Freeway much earlier than Strite along with the Blade and Ruin gives you the Hunter and Snake weapons. Daser can be a bit of a bastard sometimes like when it's sunny and I can't see the TV properly so lose the red lasers in the sandstorm, so I usually leave that until last so that I have all the weapons available to me to hopefully not lose. Oh and I play at 75% speed by default, although sometimes I set it to 88
                      Level 8 and Credits BGM FTW! When you beat it make sure you have a few minutes to check out the Omake BGM that unlock, especially 2, 5 and 8 coz they'll be gone when you turn the MD off! Must be an AR code to lock the right byte to unlock the Omake music, but I don't have an AR for Megadrive to work it out.
                      TF4 is probably my favourite horizontal, it just edges out Blazing Star because the difficulty on BS gets silly after level 4.

I love Gynoug, but it's like Soldier Blade in a way, piss easy for absolutely ages so you stop concentrating, then the difficulty goes right up and I get done in about 3 minutes.

Oh and for the record, I'm **** at Ristar. I find it soooooo difficult.

Now hit the road Jack. Crying time.

Comment

Originally posted by vertigo
                        No, there are 10. And it's not that hard a game if you concentrate and use the right weapons at the right time Give you a tip, on level 6 and 8 you want the Hunter weapon and you'll breeze through, but on level 6 you want to switch out of it to something like Blade or Freeway when the bastard thing with the 8-way spikes turns up.
                        Don't forget that there's a 1-up on every level too. Also, I do the levels in order Air Raid, Ruin, Strite, Daser. Air Raid gives you the Freeway much earlier than Strite along with the Blade and Ruin gives you the Hunter and Snake weapons. Daser can be a bit of a bastard sometimes like when it's sunny and I can't see the TV properly so lose the red lasers in the sandstorm, so I usually leave that until last so that I have all the weapons available to me to hopefully not lose. Oh and I play at 75% speed by default, although sometimes I set it to 88
                        Level 8 and Credits BGM FTW! When you beat it make sure you have a few minutes to check out the Omake BGM that unlock, especially 2, 5 and 8 coz they'll be gone when you turn the MD off! Must be an AR code to lock the right byte to unlock the Omake music, but I don't have an AR for Megadrive to work it out.
                        TF4 is probably my favourite horizontal, it just edges out Blazing Star because the difficulty on BS gets silly after level 4.

I love Gynoug, but it's like Soldier Blade in a way, piss easy for absolutely ages so you stop concentrating, then the difficulty goes right up and I get done in about 3 minutes.

Oh and for the record, I'm **** at Ristar. I find it soooooo difficult.

Now hit the road Jack. Crying time.
                        10?? wow! Ok ill take your tips aboard and give it my all! Those suckers are goin down!

Comment

You will learn to hate the crab boss on level 7. And that thing on level 8. And... heh.
                          Of course, an easy way to learn each level is to set yourself up a series of save states on Gens and practice each level and watch for the boss patterns.

Comment

Working...
                          X