Soldier Blade (PCE)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soldier Blade (PCE)

The age-old argument about which installment of the Star Soldier series rages on. Most people seem to agree that Super Star Soldier is the best of the bunch (although many will say Gunhed, which isn't actually part of the series). Soldier Blade, the last part of the series to appear on the PCE, seems to get a bad press for some reason. I've never known why - to me, it's the most impressive HuCard game out there (aside from Street Fighter II, maybe).

The graphics never fail to amaze me - at times it looks like a 32-bit shooter, and is head and shoulders above most Megadrive and SNES shoot 'em ups (with the obvious exception of Thunderforce IV). The weapon system is simple and effective, and you don't get too many moments where you've picked up the wrong weapon by mistake and as a result you mess things up - the three weapon types are all pretty tasty.

Some of the boss designs are really top-class, a league above the rather lame-looking baddies in the previous game, Final Soldier. The music is also impressive, for the PCE anyway.

I have to say this is my fave PCE shooter ATM. A top game in every respect.

Excellent review and some screenies!

Couldn't agree with you more Duddyroar!

This was one of the first games I really got into playing on the original version of Magic Engine back in the late 90's. I then bought the original last year off eBay for approx ?30 - money well spent, the original is even better then the emulated version

Playability is top notch and like the man says the weapons are well balanced. The mecha designs are superb - and to think all this fit into 512Kb!

Brilliant games that is high in the top 10 list of my all time fave shoot em ups...

Comment

Yeah i have to agree it's an amazing shooter, one of the best i've played.

I always thought Gunhed was the first in this series aswell, so was that just a myth?

Comment

Gunhed was programmed by Compile, not Hudson/RED. As to why it gets lumped in with the Star Soldier series I'm not sure - maybe it's because both were published by Hudson and they are up-the-screen shooters, people just assumed they were part of the same series.

Comment

Pls Gunhead is in the series, ok it's not. But it damn is

Soldier Blade is wicked........Final Soldier for me tho deffo.

Comment

I can't get into Final Soldier...some of the enemy designs are really weak, graphically it's not a patch on Gunhed, Super Star Soldier or Soldier Blade...but the selectable weapons are a nice touch.

Comment

Music aside, Final Soldier is rubbish.

Comment

SSS for me. The music on the first level has me shaking with joy every time I play it.

Comment

Working...
                X