XBOX pal vs ntsc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XBOX pal vs ntsc?

I was wondering, as pal xbox's have a 60hz selection on the dashboard and on a modded xbox you can get pal games to run on 480p, is there any advantage to buying an ntsc version of a game over the pal one?

This is assuming both versions are already released and price isn't an issue.

Just that if there isn't i'd rather get pal simply so I can use games on my mates' pal unmodded xbox's if possible.

There was a thread about this on the old forum with some good info. I can't remember the specifics, but a couple of things are certain:

- PAL games on a PAL XBOX running at PAL60 don't always run at the same speed as the NTSC version of the game running on the same XBOX in NTSC mode (with the video selector app). For example a NTSC Halo in NTSC mode runs a little faster - not significantly, but enough to notice.

Can't for the life of me remember why though

Comment

Ok, so beside a small speed discrepancy there's no real difference?

I'd really like some feedback on this as it'll be the difference between me importing earlier games or just looking for the cheapest pal option.

Comment

Correct, the difference only affects some titles and is negligible.

So I'd say go for the PAL option if cheaper/easier to get.

Comment

one thing to bear in mind is that Pal software running in progressive tends to be too dark.

Dont know why this is maybe somthing to do with the fact that NTSC sets its black at 7.5ire rather than 0ire.

to try this out check out a dark ntsc dvd where there is lots of detail in the blacks with the brightness set so you can make this detail out, then set the dvd player to 0ire or blacker than black ( different companies call it different names) and see how you loose all the detail.

or run the THX optimiser from a dvd and see how you loose the shadow detail on the THX logo.

this can be a problem on games with dark areas as turning the brightnes up (black level) just makes the blacks look grey and doesnt give you detail back. Thus you still cant make out the things you need to see to play the game properly.

my advice is buy the NTSC version if you want to play at 60Hz without problem and definitely if you want to play in 480p 720p or any other resolution that the game is compatible with.

This is just a personal experience and maybe hardware related, would be interested to see if anyone else has come across the same.

Comment

Working...
          X