TopGear series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TopGear series

I was suprised to find the first 2 Snes games still alot of fun after all these years. I'm not really a fan of modern racing games (Project Yawn Racing etc..) barring great stuff like F Zero and Outrun 2, but I must say TopGear 1 and 2 really hit the stop with tight control, catchy music and a convincing impression speed.

What I'd like to know is how are the other games in the series. Top Gear 3000 seems to crash on emulator so I've not got to play it. Much to my suprise, the 4 TopGear games on N64 are also by Kemco. I've never played any of them, do they share the immediacy and overall feel of the Snes ones?

Post your thoughts.

Thanks.

The first N64 Top Gear is fairly decent. It has a nice, solid feeling of control and the courses are well designed. Slower paced than, say, Sega Rally but with enough content to unlock that keeps most entertained.

I dunno what the others are like.

Comment

I rather liked the second Top Gear on the N64 (Not to be confused with Top Gear Rally 2) called Top Gear Overdrive. It had some excellently designed courses however I wouldn't be able to accurately compare it to the others as I haven't played those in a while. I'll try and dig them out sometime I think

Comment

I loved top gear rally on the N64. The handling was superb. The gfx however, were not Could hardly see what was going on sometimes.

Comment

I thought the N64 Top Gear games were crap compared to World Driver Championship though, so if you can get that, get it. I don't generally enjoy racing games, but for some reason WDC grabbed my attention and wouldn't let go.

Comment

WDC was very different though - much less arcadey. Much more of an effort at being GT style driving, perhaps like Le Mans 24. It was really good though and anyone liking their driving games should check it out.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I just found out that the guy who did the music on TopGear 1 & 2, someone called "the Jackal", also did the music in Top Gear Really 1 & 2 on the N64. That's enough reason alone for me to try them out as I can't get enough of that catchy stuff.

Also, a bit unrelated, but are the 3 Cruis'n games really as bad as they're made out to be? I would have liked to try out the arcade versions on a Midway compilation but they weren't included for legal reasons or something.

Comment

Originally posted by moonwhistle
                Also, a bit unrelated, but are the 3 Cruis'n games really as bad as they're made out to be? I would have liked to try out the arcade versions on a Midway compilation but they weren't included for legal reasons or something.
                Believe me mate you may as well use the Crusin' series carts as coasters !

There's bad, there's really bad and then there's the N64 Cruisin' series!

Comment

Working...
                X