Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making a Retro Arcade Machine - comments

Hi,

Well, I finally have the space to build and design my own personal arcade cabinet.

No the problem I still have is that space and cost are an issue, so it will take the shape of stand up/may sit down style cab for games like beat-em ups, side scrolling beat em ups, shooters, platformers, and puzzle games.

No the problem I have is that I dont want the machine to be to modern in terms of technologh so dont wana go any newer than a Dreamcast in terms of games.

I have a huge selection of the better DC games like mr driller, soul calibur, zero gunner 2 all games that I fel make a great arcade and I also have to arcade sticks.

I also have the namco arcade stick for the PS1 but only one and a few of the games that I really like are the pacman, Tiger heli, puzzle bobble etc.

I dont know what hardware is best to put in there and what really is the cheaper better option.

Can anyone shed light/advice on the use of the Jamma board stuff? Its all new ground to me so some rough ideas and stuff including how hard it s to get some of the better older games like commando, tiger heli, pacman, etc.

Also, would a 21 inch screen be too small??

thanks in advance

It sounds like you want a cabinet that plays multiple boards and multiple consoles.

I don't think this will be easy, as there will likely be interface and display problems.

Research at arcadecontrols.com - there are loads of examples and very helpful people.

Personally, I went for a PC in an old jamma cab with a new VGA monitor. This way you only need to interface the PC, which can emulate the classic hardware you're interested in. A cheap, low end PC should be sufficient for most of the classics.

http://www.bazpatts.f2s.com is mine. It's built with jamma type games in mind via MAME (2 sticks 3 buttons ea.)... But this is clearly a great button config. for MD games :-)

..Also, would a 21 inch screen be too small??
    I reckon a 21" screen is plenty big enough - remember when you play these things your face is only about 50cms from it rather than on the sofa - so that's pretty huge.

Comment

Check out this site
      http://www.killercabs.com/

These guys can answer all your questions.

Comment

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I hope you go for a custom Dreamcast cab with hacked aracde sticks - that would be awesome.

Comment

thanks peeps.
          Dot know what I want as I would love to pay Kung Fu and Tiger Heli as origonal arcade versions as they were two games that I loved on my Nes when I was ypung.

Still got them for the NES but would just like to play em 'proper'!

Might be best to just go with the DC arcade machine as I have a spar 20 VGA monitor here hat needs a home and 2 arcade sticks and 1 dc, can see it now, my own Virtua Tennis, Cosmic Smash, Zero Gunner 2, Powerstone, Mr Driller, Marvel vs Capcom, street Fighter, Dynamite Deka arcade in my bedroom.

Plus, I have seen em before but where can i get a CD to xbox controller converter to us a dc pad on an xbox??

That way, I can play xbox games (read MAME) on there aswell

Comment

This is exactly what I'm in the process of doing!

Got a Jap DC through VGA box to a 19 inch monitor, in a cabinet I built with the help of a mate. Has a light box at top with an original Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo marquee, and speakers in the top section coming thorugh a cloth mesh panel.

Sprayed the whole thing white, and have got artwork printed for the sides of Ryu for one side and Chun Li for the other.

Got two arcade sticks - one modded with pink sanwa parts, the other in standard green - just need to mod them into a shelf, instead of just sitting on it, and then it's just putting some t-moulding round all the edges and it's done!

Even got a Taito arcade ashtray off ebay just for show, cos I don't smoke anymore!

Also managed to pick up two stools from work when we were clearing out that are the perfect height - just need to recover them in orange fabric and spray the metal white instead of black now.

Gotta say nothing beats playing 2D fighters on a cab, and it's really got me playing my DC more. Can't wait to stick Under Defeat in it soon...

Comment

Originally posted by Brodie
              This is exactly what I'm in the process of doing!

Got a Jap DC through VGA box to a 19 inch monitor, in a cabinet I built with the help of a mate. Has a light box at top with an original Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo marquee, and speakers in the top section coming thorugh a cloth mesh panel.

Sprayed the whole thing white, and have got artwork printed for the sides of Ryu for one side and Chun Li for the other.

Got two arcade sticks - one modded with pink sanwa parts, the other in standard green - just need to mod them into a shelf, instead of just sitting on it, and then it's just putting some t-moulding round all the edges and it's done!

Even got a Taito arcade ashtray off ebay just for show, cos I don't smoke anymore!

Also managed to pick up two stools from work when we were clearing out that are the perfect height - just need to recover them in orange fabric and spray the metal white instead of black now.

Gotta say nothing beats playing 2D fighters on a cab, and it's really got me playing my DC more. Can't wait to stick Under Defeat in it soon...
              That sounds sweet mate! You got any pics of it?

I'd love to get a cab sorted but my house is way too small and I'd have nowhere to put it (plus my girlfriend would probably lynch me)!

Comment

Not got pics yet, kinda don't want to take any til it's finished, if you get me? I'll put some up once i get my lazy arse round to finishing it off though.

And yeah, the missus is always an issue with things like this, but she's been really cool about it, and even played a few bouts on MvC2 the other night ^_^

Comment

Working...
                X