Point and Click Adventures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Point and Click Adventures

Right does anybody know of any POINT AND CLICK ADVENTURES they can recommend or have an anecdote about?

I mean i remember completing Indiana Jones and Fate Of Atlantis and Simon The Sorceror on the PC! But unfortunately ive never played any others...oh i played CSI recently which is more or less the same thing but better graphics etc etc

So any recommendations, especially if you can get them for the PC or some how emulate them (yes i know ive just offended half of you guys out there by that comment!)

Try out the Lucasarts back catalogue (see the NTSC-UK article that has just been written about them). Personally I would recommend the Monkey Island series, Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango.

Other than the Lucasarts ones, try the Broken Sword series and The Longest Journey. The latter is especially good. And it seems that it is getting a sequel of sorts very soon, called Dreamfall (Xbox/PC).

Comment

Discworld is my personal favourite. Others to try and on many people's top 10 lists are Sam and Max and Day of the Tentacle.

Grim Fandango looks decent, too, but I've never played it. And the Monkey Island games. Never played those, either.

Comment

discworld? i thought that was an RPG...Day of the tentacle, bloody hell i remember that game! Had a demo somwhere! So this discworld game is like 2D right cos' i sure dislike 3D stuff man - played the monkey osland on the PS2 and it was just weird and tooooooooo vast and CRAP!

Comment

you cant make a sweeping comment about 2d/3d Grim fandango is an amazing game and is 3d
          the discworld games are great and for the most part the 3rd one wasnt bad but a little vague maybe sometimes.

Comment

I remember enjoying Operation Stealth and some other one by Delphine. I think it was on my PC - maybe my ST actually.
            Not sure if they would still hold up as decent games....

Comment

Sooo many to recommend.

All of lucasarts point n click back catalogue
              Beneath a steel sky
              future wars
              operation stealth
              Companions of xanth
              Legend of kyrandia 1 2 & 3
              Kingdom 'o magic
              Simon the sorcerer 1 & 2
              Shivers 1 & 2

Im sure theres more that i have missed but those were all my favourites. I love point n click games. Theres nothing more satisfying than finally solving a puzzle youve been stuck on for ages.

Problem is most of them wont work properly on todays pc's. Even if you try using stuff like dosbox.

Its mainly the sound that screws up.

Comment

Monkey Island games ftw.

Blade Runner was probably the last decent Point 'n' Clicker.

Comment

Cruise For A Corpse by Delphine was supposed to be OK but my Amiga could never handle it as I had a crappy cheapo 1/2 Meg expansion.

Cosmic Spacehead on the MD was mainly a point n' clicker but was pretty ****. Interesting graphical style, though, I suppose.

There was also one on CD32/Amiga, I vaguely remember, called Universe (?????)

Comment

Originally posted by importaku
                    Problem is most of them wont work properly on todays pc's. Even if you try using stuff like dosbox.

Its mainly the sound that screws up.
                    A lot of those games are supported under scummVM, especially the lucas titles. Have a look at the compatibility list. Some games are even free to download now, notably Flight Of The Amazon Queen (fun but very easy) and Beneath a Steel Sky.

ScummVM runs on everything, there's even a DC version

Comment

Originally posted by babs
                      Some games are even free to download now, notably Flight Of The Amazon Queen (fun but very easy) and Beneath a Steel Sky.

ScummVM runs on everything, there's even a DC version
                      so where the heck would you go to downloand these point and click beauties man, i wana so complete 1 or 2 man!

Comment

Those two are linked to on the scummVM downloads page. Monkey Island games are still being sold and are very easy to get hold of. If you can, get hold of the CD version compilation of 1 & 2, this gives you a CD sountrack for Monkey Island 1 that plays during the game, replacing the ropey midi.

Comment

If you're up for a bit of delicious masochism, Sierra did a fantastic line of point & click adventures. Space Quest and the RPG influenced Quest For Glory were always my favourites, but King's Quest and Police Quest were excellent too.

Comment

In fact, these guys have a re-made King's Quest I and II:

Download free King's Quest & Quest for Glory adventure game remakes by AGD Interactive.

They're also working on a remade Quest For Glory II, which is one of my favourite games ever.

Comment

I used to completely love point n click adventures, even though somehow I haven't played a few big ones like Sam and Max, Discworld and the Monkey Islands.

Day of the Tentacle is by far my favourite.

As for the Quest games, well the Quest for Glorys were more RPG but good fun and the Police Quest game I played was really good.

Discworld II was a great game even if you don't read the books

I remember there was an X-Files game which came on about 7 discs which was quite enjoyable.

One of my favourite games ever is The Last Express, its a bit different to point and clicks due to the perspective but it has a really unique art style and overall feel - Shenmue reminded me of this game a lot

Comment

Working...
                              X