Dreamweb, anyone else been playing it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dreamweb, anyone else been playing it?

Nice article NTSC-uk recently had on Dreamweb, but no corresponding topic? No people talking about it? No mention of the Amiga version or the fact that the PC game is easily found on abandonware sites?

For shame retro fans!

Anyway, nice write up. So good I tracked it down, (about 9mb I think, and don't ask me where, Google is good for more than just finding naughty pictures ).

I also tracked down a PDF of the diary and manual, and I'm very impressed with the diary. It was actually hand written, not just printed, and makes for a good read. I really like it when games include a short novella for you to read.

But I really liked it, mainly since I love dark moody games like this (currently going through System Shock 2 as well ^_^). I also loved the unique control method, where you can look at and pick up every single item, and read descriptions of everything. Spent ages examining pipes, food cartons, literally everything. It reminded me of Morrowind/Oblivion, in the way every item could be picked up, just about.

So yeah, why has no one else started a topic on this? It's a really good sci-fi adventure, and easy to complete. The sudden death situations aren't that bad (only the first killing is tough), and it's quite easy once you realise you need to only keep your eyes focused on items likely to be usefull (EG: the gherkin on the floor clearly isn't ). I completed it in 3 days, on/off playing, only looked at a FAQ at once (beach puzzle had me stumped).

EDIT:
    Apparantly there's also a CD ROM version with voice acting, I only found the disk version. But they both require DOSBox to work. It's the first time I've really properly used DB, and also dloaded a nice front end for it. Simple to set up, so it's worth experimenting with.
    Last edited by Sketcz; 02-04-2006, 09:04.

I'm pretty sure I have the CD-ROM version somewhere. never played it though as I don't have a PC. Looking forward to the new Xbox one.

Comment

New Xbox one? Do elaborate Mr Day.

Comment

I'm an idiot: was thinking about Dream Fall. Sorry.

Comment

Recently completed Dreamweb myself when I found out Spatial was writing the article.

A short but fantastic game that got a lot of undeserved press on release for not being a specific style of point'n'click adventure it was never aiming to be. Good call on the Oblivion comparison too - thinking back to the immense amount of detail that went into the object manipulation (and the ease of the interface that it was attached to), I can see where you're coming from. Every one of the locations was brimming with detail.

For me, the modern day Dreamweb is Fahrenheit - it follows much of the same attention to detail, use of an extremely tense atmosphere (from a different position), and detective-like puzzle solving.

Comment

Originally posted by Szczepaniak
            Google is good for more than just finding naughty pictures
            There are naughty pictures to be found through Google? Right thats my eveniing sorted...

I missed this article (I really should check the front page more often). Never heard of the game. I shall check it out forthwith.

Comment

When i saw it on the front page Kudos to Spatial101 for reviewing it, loved this game finished it a long time ago on me Amiga, must have been about 96?
              That would have made me 14.
              I fondly remember axeing the bodyguard in the head in the hotel, bursting into the rockstars room to see a woman ontop having sex with him then shooting him dead, nice.
              AHHH The good ole days.

Comment

'94 if I remember correctly.

Comment

It really is a blisteringly good game and I'd urge anyone who hasn't played it give it a go (or even just relive some old memories by playing it again).

But then you already know what I think of it

Comment

Ahh, the writer himself.

I must admit, despite it's "simple" visuals, I found some descriptions later on to be quite disturbing (in a good way). The game really does a good job with the atmosphere, and it's description. Not to spoil anything, but some of the ways you kill people, it's quite creepy.

MILD SPOILER:

Like that one woman, with her intestines trailing out of her as she screams for death.

Chilling, simply chilling.

HEAVY SPOILER

And that bit with the priest?! I love how they never explain things, and the mess of tentacles never makes sense. What exactly were people turning into?

Yeah, creepy stuff.

Comment

I always felt Dream webs spiritual successor was Deus Ex in a wierd sort of way. Same sort of dark future, open to explore universe full of rewarding details. The fahrenheit comparison makes sense too.

I don't remember anything else like Dreamweb on the amiga, it was certainly a real breath of fresh air at the time, especially seeing as the amiga was in it's gradual decline and getting fewer ambtious adult titles.

Comment

A flood of nostalgia has engulfed me after using dosbox and firing up the pc freeware Dreamweb. Reminded me of Valhalla -

Will give this a more than respectful go.

Comment

Originally posted by Concept
                          '94 if I remember correctly.
                          Was '96 when i actually played it, well around that time.
                          AHH Valhalla was another one, quality wee game had speech and on the amiga disk version.
                          Remember getting that one free on an amiga mag (maybe The ONE Amiga?) they said it was gonna be episodic, scared the crap out of me when my wee guy would just fall down a hole.
                          Also enjoyed Timekeepers from Vulcan too, was a cool wee game bit like chu chu rocket from memory.
                          They are still floating about too http://www.vulcan.co.uk/

Comment

Yeah, I was just clarifying the date. Fell in love with Dreamweb mid-way through secondary school when I was hungering after a Bladerunnerish experience where the atmosphere was slightly more downbeat than other games of that type around the same time. At the time, I really liked the fact you could enter the various terminals to have a poke around and learn more about the outside world more away from Ryan's comparatively closeted space. The diary, as mentioned, also added immensely to this.

Well written article from Spatial with some interesting analysis to boot. Dreamweb had problems but it was also a finely crafted adventure for the most part, which didn't pander to the common denominator by setting the game in the usual sci-fi LA/New York/Tokyo settings.

Out of curiosity... did the soundtrack (I only ever played the Amiga version, and more recently the disk-based PC version) feature English or American vocal talent?

Comment

Working...
                            X