The THIEF appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The THIEF appreciation thread

Whilst playing the recently released Oblivion, the stealth elements brought back fond memories of Thief, the computer game series some of us were fortunate to enjoy and experience while it lasted.

For me it all started in 1998 where I found myself turning my back on titles such as Quake 2 and Metal Gear Solid to enjoy the witts and stealthy skills of master thief Garrett in this fascinating new and refreshing game called Thief: The Dark Project. I can't remember playing anything remotely similar that required me to stay in the shadows and avoid confrontation to reach my goal, and certainly not from a first person perspective.

A slight oversight perhaps, depending on point of view, were the later parts of the game where you were pitted against monsters instead of stealing stuff, playing with guards and whatnot. Either way, I really enjoyed it, and the sequel Thief II: The Metal Age as well which put an even heavier emphasis on thievery. Perfect!

At the moment I'm glued to my chair playing Thief: Deadly Shadows, or as some refer to it - Robbing the Cradle! A sublime mission with a fantastic use of both atmosphere and ambience that is the very essence of Thief with things to steal, locks to pick, guards to pickpocket and on and on and...

Share your love
    Last edited by Combination; 03-04-2006, 15:43.

I too am a Thief fanatic, played 1 about halfway through, then finished 2 when I broke my leg, loved 2 so much I went back to finish 1. probably one of my favourite games.

Comment

I ve only got deadly shadows and have only recently started at it but its awesome. I play it with surround sound on in the dark or with a pair of headphones and the degree of immersion is incredible.

Comment

Whenever I'm at my mates house I steal his controller and ruin his Oblivion game by stealing everything I can at night and then dumping a load of hot merchandise over someone while they sleep.

And when I get bored of that I load up his copy of Deadly Shadows, creep up behind people and spinal tap 'em.

I can't play games seriously...

Comment

Bought my first PC the time Thief II came out, was completely cool ass time. Only ever had a demo, which was bloody long - never finnished it! lol

Comment

The Thief games are great. They have the honour of being about the only stealth series I don't think is complete toss.

Rather than being an exercise in frustration the stealth in Thief was always rewarding to me and the missions always inventive. The setting and the character was pretty damn cool too.

Number two is probably my favourite.

Comment

I actually think Thief 3 is the best...at least if it wasn't bugged so much. I really like the town system, its just a shame it wasn't more freeform ala Oblivion or GTA (ie, you can really breka into anything).

Some really cool missions, the already mentioned The Cradle is one of the finest piece of horror engineering I've seen in a videogame.

The original is still the most 'pure' though, and I didn't like the monsters that appeared in the second..though they were pretty scary.

Hope they make another!

Comment

Working...
              X