Dreamcast tate monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dreamcast tate monitor

Posted in the "ask the forum" but though i might get a few more responses here. For those who have a dc vga setup with a rotated tft/lcd monitor for shmups goodness, i'm curious as to what models you have and any you may recommend because i;m tired of turning my crt on its side.

cheers

No-one uses LCDs for Dreamcast games because most LCDs are way bigger resolution than DC and upscale respectivly (and most people hate it, although I don't mind it);p

Comment

Except for me. I use a Panasonic LCD.

Comment

I tried my treamcast vga box today for the first time on my cheap benq lcd monitor. Look awful. It looks amazing on a crt though, but I can't have a crt lying around just for the DC.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr
          but I can't have a crt lying around just for the DC.
          I do

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Pavey
            Except for me. I use a Panasonic LCD.
            Me too. I use a BenQ 19" though... works like a charm for me.

Comment

As long as the monitor can rotate and be around 19" with good picture i'll be satisfied.

Comment

You want a CRT with VGA input then. 640x480 on LCDs aint that hot.

Comment

I have to say DC VGA looks very good on my Samsung Syncmaster 204b, much better than I had expected. Also, it should be able to rotate 270 degrees but I haven't tested this out yet due to the cables not allowing it.

Btw, does anyone know if there are such things as VGA splitters? I recently ordered a 360 and would like to have that and my DC hooked up to the panel at the same time, but the monitor only has 1 VGA input.

Edit: Just tested it out, it doesn't seem to rotate further than 90 degrees, even though I'm sure I've seen 270 degrees mentioned somewhere .
                  Last edited by Sane; 09-04-2006, 11:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Sane
                    Btw, does anyone know if there are such things as VGA splitters? I recently ordered a 360 and would like to have that and my DC hooked up to the panel at the same time, but the monitor only has 1 VGA input.
                    There are some on ebay. People on here have used them with no noticeable quality loss, but I had one and noticed weird ghosting on the screen with it. Don't know the reason, maybe mine is faulty?

Comment

I'm using an old 17 inch Hitachi LCD with my DC through vga and it looks pretty good to me, better than it did on a TV anyway, and the ease of being able to tate it makes it all worth while.

Comment

I'm using a Mitsubishi Diamondcrysta RDT1711VM-E1 TFT monitor that looks F-ing hot with the DC running on it through VGA. This is quite an expenisve monitor though. Does digital as well as standard VGA. I wouldn't say taht the DC looks bad on a good TFT. I've tried it on flat screen CRT monitors as well and to be honest the good high end TFT monitors look just as good if not better than CRT monitors. It all depends on what you buy.

Hey look, I even run the Mega CD on mine This is not an Emulator either but real hardware.

Yakumo

Comment

Yakumo any chance of a pic of it running a dreamcast game?

Comment

Yes please. I plan on upgarding my pc monitor soon and the ability to rotate would come in handy for both mame and dc shmups

Comment

To get a decent picture on an LCD, its native resolution must be an exact multiple of 640x480 (ie. 1280x960 for practical purposes), which is the Dreamcast's native resolution. Even then, you'll have the "pixels too sharp" issue, but it's not a big deal once you get used to it. I have my DC running through a big old CRT, though, for one simple reason: House of the Dead 2.
                              Last edited by Eps; 09-04-2006, 20:34. Reason: Resolution information was inaccurate.

Comment

Working...
                              X