Unidentified Neo game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unidentified Neo game

A long, long, long time ago I saw something, somewhere about the Neo Geo. The NES was out at the time - I remember, because the bit on this programme (I'm thinking it might have been Bad Influence(?) on ITV, some **** games show, anyway) said that there was a new console coming out which would cost ?300, and the games would cost ?99 (hence it being NES-era - I remember thinking "that's how much our NES cost!"). They briefly showed a few games, one of which showed a sort of wizard walking along an isometric level, chucking bombs. I think the protagonist was dressed in a blue or purple Gandalf-style outfit. Any ideas?

Magician Lord?

But thats not isometric.

Comment

Originally posted by Peekay
      A long, long, long time ago I saw something, somewhere about the Neo Geo. The NES was out at the time - I remember, because the bit on this programme (I'm thinking it might have been Bad Influence(?) on ITV, some **** games show, anyway) said that there was a new console coming out which would cost ?300, and the games would cost ?99 (hence it being NES-era - I remember thinking "that's how much our NES cost!"). They briefly showed a few games, one of which showed a sort of wizard walking along an isometric level, chucking bombs. I think the protagonist was dressed in a blue or purple Gandalf-style outfit. Any ideas?
      Magician Lord

click me

Comment

Bad Influence was later on than that, wasn't it?

Comment

That's it. Funny how you remember stuff - could have sworn it was isometric. Is it any good? The graphics nearly melted my brain at the time.

Comment

defo Magician Lord, i even remember the program
            i think i still have it on vhs!

do you have a Neo Geo CD?
            if so i might have the game kicking around.....

its pretty good, (for its time) but it gets rock hard in later levels.
            Last edited by beecee; 10-04-2006, 16:18.

Comment

It looked pretty nice at the time but the jumping is horrific and it's generally just a bit naff. IMO like.

Comment

You're right, I think it was. When did Gamesmaster start? It could even have been Newsround. Maybe not (although last time I saw it, it was a wall-to-wall advert for Harry Potter - the BBC's policy on advertising is pretty fluid).

Comment

Nah, I've never even played on a Neo. It's just always stuck with me. Now I've seen it with more discerning/jaded eyes some (all) of the magic has gone. Some sort of life lesson in there somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Peekay
                    Nah, I've never even played on a Neo. It's just always stuck with me. Now I've seen it with more discerning/jaded eyes some (all) of the magic has gone. Some sort of life lesson in there somewhere?
                    do you have mame?

Comment

I only have an Internet connection at work at the moment, unfortunately.

Comment

It's actually pretty OK verging on good imo. I believe it was the first Neo-Geo game. There's an excellent feature on the Neo on this site by Treble and I believe it mentions the game. I have it on MVS

Check about halfway down in the recommendations.

Comment

Originally posted by Madbury
                          It's actually pretty OK verging on good imo. I believe it was the first Neo-Geo game. There's an excellent feature on the Neo on this site by Treble and I believe it mentions the game. I have it on MVS

Check about halfway down in the recommendations.
                          I think the first Neo game was NAM?

Comment

Magician Lord is ace. Everyone who plays it initially whines that it's too hard, but I think it's like ThunderForce IV or Ninja Gaiden or the story mode in F-Zero GX in that yes, compared to most other games of their time, they're hard, but they're entirely doable if you sit and concentrate and don't have kids/nagging/interruptions.
                            Having said that though, I can only get up to the end of level 3 of Magician Lord on one credit so far

Comment

Originally posted by crazymadone
                              I think the first Neo game was NAM?
                              Aye, I believe so. Cat. number for NAM 1975 is NGH-001

Magician Lord is still pretty decent. It's one of the better early games (along with NAM).

Comment

Working...
                              X