Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro Fusion Issue 1 feedback

Hi Chaps,

Sent out the pre-orders of RF today. Should be in the Gamestation stores Thursday (running a few days late due to a problem at the printers). I would love to hear your views on it.

You can get the mag on line at www.retrofusion.co.uk as well.

Feedback from those who have the pre-orders has started to come in: http://www.retrofusion.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=175

Comment

I had a wee browse of this today. The magazine looked cheap and like it's aimed at a younger audience, but was very well written and had a lot in it. I think it needs to cover ground that the other retro mag does not, as most of the content has been in previous retro gamers. Also the a-team and advert sections felt like they didn't belong in the mag. The ?3 cover price is very reasonable though.

Comment

Originally posted by Skull Commander
        I think it needs to cover ground that the other retro mag does not. Also the a-team and advert sections felt like they didn't belong in the mag.
        I'm not saying that either of those comments are wrong but they do directly contradict eachother, don't they?

Comment

I had a quick look too. I was concerned about two things: the apparent emphasis on younger readers (surely less likely to buy a 'retro' title?) and the again apparent emphasis on nostalgia over and above actually liking the old games on their own merits. Of course, it's the first issue, so let's see how things go.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaladron
            I'm not saying that either of those comments are wrong but they do directly contradict eachother, don't they?
            You could say that, but I would prefer if the mag covered retro gaming ground, instead of 'we love the eighties' style memories.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the comments chaps. The magazine is not geared towards a younger reader - I'm 36 and the age group we are trying to appeal to would be the 20-45 age group. What in the magazine gave you this impression?

Issue 1 has been self-financed. If successfull I hope to increase the pagination and quality of the paper and cover used.

Tha magazine is a nostalgia magazine with an emphasis on gaming. So we will be covering 80's relatated topics as well the computers/consoles/games of the time.
              Last edited by boyo; 14-04-2006, 07:43.

Comment

Originally posted by boyo
                Tha magazine is a nostalgia magazine with an emphasis on gaming. So we will be covering 80's relatated topics as well the computers/consoles/games of the time.
                Then you'll have to forgive me for saying, without meaning to cause offence, that I won't be buying it.

Comment

With regards to the young 'feel' of the magazine, as soon as I looked at it, I thought it looked almost like a kids mag, from the way to the cover was set out, right to the Mr T on the top right of the page.

Comment

I don't know any children who would recognise Mr T. Maybe the magazine feels less serious to you because of the glossy paper and the lack of a spine.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaladron
                      I don't know any children who would recognise Mr T. Maybe the magazine feels less serious to you because of the glossy paper and the lack of a spine.
                      It was not so much the figure of Mr T, as the way he is on the page. Substitute Mr T for David Beckham, and it resembles one of those kids mag that is proberly called 'Skillz', or something to that effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Skull Commander
                        With regards to the young 'feel' of the magazine, as soon as I looked at it, I thought it looked almost like a kids mag, from the way to the cover was set out, right to the Mr T on the top right of the page.
                        It's all about ' Nostalgia ' ... Retro Magazines are aimed at the 80's generation of gamers, and offers them a chance to revel in the past.

There is nothing wrong with this, but if you're looking for a magazine that concentrates purely on celebrating brilliant games&machines above nostalgia, you will have to wait and hope such a publication appears at some point.

It's early days for Retro Magazines. It took quite a few years for standard videogame magazines to evolve, and it looks to be the same with retro ones.

I would personally be put-off by a magazine that tried to promote my childhood memories. MC Hammer on the cover( ), and Baywatch babes in the centrefold, would put me off, rather than make me feel all warm and nostalgic.

Retro Magazines should be simply about celebrating and promoting brilliant classic games and machines that stand the test of time. Sadly.. at the moment they aren't focused on this objective.
                        Last edited by Leon Retro; 16-04-2006, 10:16.

Comment

just got my copy thru the post and have to say the mag looks and feels a bit 'ugly', something in particular the first run of Retro Gamer's suffered from too.

not really sure about the content yet but if it isn't well laid out and appealing then its always a struggle.

in my view mag layout is something Future used to be kings of, and others learnt from, the re-launched retro gamer just looks so much better than it used to.

i know its a first effort so will reserve long term judgement but I'd look at the layout as in my opinion it needs attention.

Comment

Picked it up for a scan in GS yesterday, looked intresting enough for me to purchase (though have a backlog of mags to get though). Thinner than I expected, but then you are a pound cheaper than the rest, so suppose that makes up for it.

Comment

I have 5 copies of Retro Fusion signed by Jon Hare....top 5 bids within the next week get an issue..

PM me your bid - has to be over ?3

Comment

Working...
                              X