Your thoughts please: Space Harrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your thoughts please: Space Harrier

I'm bored! So I thought I'd ask people their thoughts on one of my current favourite games. In the small chance that this thread takes off, I'll carry on asking your thoughts on other random games.

Space Harrier, I ****ing love it (I'm guessing I'm allowed to swear on here, if not; sorry, I'm new!) dodging all sorts of trippy stuff. The creator must've been smoking something strong when he designed half the obstacles/enemies. I find that if I keep flying round in a square and shooting as fast as I can, I tend to score more than if I play it seriously! Bizzare. The soundtrack for this game is awesome (especially compared to the crap we get in games nowadays!) Even the speach is incredible "Get Ready"

Currently I'm playing it on the PCE but I also have it on the Saturn (as part of the impecible Sega Ages) the 3D Master System version, the Mega Drive as well as the Mame ROM (which I love because I can just keep putting in more credits!)

Anyone else got any love for Sega's classic?

Love it to bits Aside from the Saturn and 32X version (which is almost as good as the Saturn port btw!), I have that Space Harrier II Complete Collection, the Super DX Pack which came with the 3D Glasses, badge and rather excellent soundtrack CD of every Space Harrier tune arcade through Mark III through Space Harrier II On constant play on my Mp3 player!

Comment

Never played it on the Megadrive. Is it worth picking up?

Comment

You've probably all heard it before, but Tanguy Ukulele Orchestra do the best cover of the Space Harrier main theme ever:

link

Comment

Duracell's version ****ing rocks as well.

My Dad brought home a projector from work one day a few months ago and the first thing I tried on it was Space Harrier. Seeing the bosses fill a wallspace of 9ft by 9ft was incredibly cool. Played it for 20 minutes and I felt like my eyeballs were going to fall out, but in a good way. The speed of the game is still staggering even today. Other rail shooters like Rez and Panzer Dragoon are so pedestrian by comparison.

Comment

Space Harrier. Total. Game.

You just read the cheesest thing I ever wrote.

Comment

I've always liked the dragons with the funny, stary eyes and the fact that it's got a stage called 'Moot'.

Comment

space harrier - a nice little mini game in shenmue , a great way to pass the time

Comment

Great game. I played this a lot in the Arcades in the 80's. The home versions were all **** though, no matter what console it was on.

Comment

Classic Title Image

Unforgettable Soundtrack

Breathtaking Abstract Game World

Pure Adrenaline Rush Gameplay

SPACE HARRIER ROCKS!!!

"Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!"

Everything about this game is magical. It's one of my favourite games, and a totally hypnotic experience!

Comment

W-o-w-s-e-r-s-! (I just shed a retro tear.)

Forgot about the robot's glowing eyes on the title screen. I always thought it was very cool. Didn't the logo 'spin round' into view, too, if I remember rightly, or am I getting senile in my old age???

Comment

Originally posted by carbon boy
                        Never played it on the Megadrive. Is it worth picking up?
                        If you mean Space Harrier II (as that was the only one released on the bog standard MD), then not really, as it's really not that good IMO - doesn't even come close to the original. It plays somwhat like the SMS version of the original, with different stages and higher res.
                        Because of this, the Space Harrier II Complete Collection on the PS2 is only really good because all official Sega carnations of the original game are included as well.

If you mean the 32X game, it's great. Same as the Saturn one unless your anal.

Comment

I love the arcade version of this game on the sit down cabinet. I used to play it everytime I went to Niagra falls, used to be a kick ass arcade at the bottom of the Skylon Tower.

Sadly last time I went the arcade section has been reduced in machines but is still there.......just.

Never have played the megadrive version but I have it on the Saturn on one of those retro packs, not as good as the arcade though

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33
                            If you mean Space Harrier II (as that was the only one released on the bog standard MD), then not really, as it's really not that good IMO - doesn't even come close to the original. It plays somwhat like the SMS version of the original, with different stages and higher res.
                            That's the one I mean

Thanks for the tip off. I might look to aquire a copy if I see it going cheap, otherwise I'll give it a miss.

Comment

Space Harrier II is a bit of a disapointment really. I don't think it was ever actually an arcade machine (outside of megadrive based multichoice cabinets) Not a patch on the original.

Oh, and talking of cover versions of the classic space harrier music

you have to see this

It seems to be taking place in a nathan barley style london pub. other than a few people, it starts off recieving a lukewarm, bemused reception, but he wins them around by stage 4 and the whole place can't get enough ... Love it, would have been great to be there.
                              Last edited by Rebelli0n; 13-04-2006, 09:36.

Comment

Working...
                              X