Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your thoughts please: Xenon 2 MegaBlast!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your thoughts please: Xenon 2 MegaBlast!

Anyone got any love for this Master system classic?

I used to play it for hours on end, it was defo one of my favourite sms games (just behind the original Wonder Boy). There was a good mix of power ups ( at times you could have 4 or 5 folliwing you) and the game had a far better learning curve than R-type (which I found really hard as a kid).

The levels were pretty well designed too, some tight bits to try and maneuver through and lots of action at all times. The end bosses were pretty cool too (though obviously parp in comparison to R-Type)

All in all I loved this game, to me it was one of the best vertical shooters of it's day.

is this the game with the cool soundtrack? man, ive been look for this tune for ages! Calassic game, i remember playing it on the Amiga 500. memorable days...........

Comment

Yeah, the soundtrack was done by "bomb the bass" I've got a link to the PC version (of the game, not the soundtrack) am I allowed to post it on here or are the mods funny about stuff like that?

Comment

Vastly over-rated really, and very much a case of style over substance. It looked & sounded nice, but was slow, clunky & somewhat lacking compared to the better Japanese shooters.

Oh, and surely the Amiga incarnation is the 'classic' one? The SMS version was just a downgraded port that isn't fit to lick Power Strike's boots.
        Last edited by anagrama; 15-04-2006, 15:30.

Comment

SUPER NASHWAN POWER!

Comment

Master System Classic? I think you'll find it was an Amiga/Atari ST classic first

Prefered the original Xenon tbh, but it definitely had great music.

Comment

I didn't really like it myself, probably because it was hyped up massively by the Amiga mags of the day and felt a bit 'damp squibbish'. It was just a bit too 'blobby' and unfocused, but did a great job of showing off my brand spanking new Amiga. I liked the Toaplan stuff on the Megadrive far better at the time (Tatsujin!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG
                Master System Classic? I think you'll find it was an Amiga/Atari ST classic first

Prefered the original Xenon tbh, but it definitely had great music.
                I always played the SMS version, hence the reference. To me it's a classic but I can see why it's not for everyone. The music was great and I loved the power-ups. Speed wasn't an issue if you picked up the speed boost. I think the bitmap brothers did an excellent job on the game. It was defo one of the better looking games at the time. I used to play it for hours on end.

Comment

classic case of graphics over gameplay - with the magazines falling for it.
                  slap fight, flying shark et el were much more playable

not even a match for the top c64 shooters

Comment

Had the Amiga version and remember liking it, but it was far too easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kubrick
                      but it was far too easy.
                      Agreed. I really enjoyed it but it was far far too easy. I completed it on my mates Amiga without ever having to buy it. And I stink at shooters.

Comment

Really liked it.

Have to say though i spent more time listening to the opening sound track though ( i prefered the atari st sound track over the amiga version)

Comment

I prefer the original Xenon, but Xenon 2 was a good game. It was indeed overhyped by all the Amiga mags though -- not the first or last time this was to happen with a Bitmap Brothers title!

Comment

I think its pretty decent. Havent really got into it proper though.

And i didnt think it was easy atall :unsure: mabye i just need to replay it... or mabye I just suck..

Comment

Some credit should go to Dave Whittaker for the actual ingame music, as he was the guy who translated it to the systems. The intro music was actually just a sample of the bomb the bass track though. I'm surprised someones said they like the ST music better, as it was just a shorter, worse quality sample at the start, and then standard ST chipmusic ingame. (i had the ST version myself, and always pined for the amiga )

people are spot on about it being overrated, the original Xenon, flying shark, Hybris and Battlesquadron (and the last two also have fantastic music) are far better examples of amiga vertical shooters. I have to disagree with slap fight though, that was a mess on the ST/amiga.

Comment

Working...
                              X