Wachenroder for Saturn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wachenroder for Saturn

Anyone has this game? Very interested in this but wondering if it is playable if you don't understand Japanese.

I got it aaages ago.

I printed out a guide/walkthrough from GameFAQs for the trickier parts, but it's a nice game so it's worth muddling through. No worse than playing Grandia in Japanese.

Comment

I've also got it. Some very nice sections to it but it all depends upon how much you like to thumble about. Using a guide from Gamefaqs will really hep mind you. I'd say take the plunge. One RPG that shold have been given as western release.

Yakumo

Comment

What kind of style does it play in?

Comment

Originally posted by Kaladron
          What kind of style does it play in?
          Isometric world map like Shining Force III with some pretty cool 3D battles again just like Shining Force III. Sorry for the crappy description but I'm tired and off to bed.

Yakumo

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo
            Isometric world map like Shining Force III with some pretty cool 3D battles again just like Shining Force III. Sorry for the crappy description but I'm tired and off to bed.

Yakumo
            Oh. My. God. You said the two special magic words....and the magic number. Off to Play Asia I go.

Comment

It's cheap as chips, too. I got a sealed copy for about a fiver delivered from Japan.

You get stickers, artbook and stuff. Nice!

Comment

I'll think I will get this, can't go wrong with the price. Saw a few on ebay for around ?10.

Comment

Originally posted by oldskool
                  Anyone has this game? Very interested in this but wondering if it is playable if you don't understand Japanese.
                  It's all in English now, as a guy now gar3 translated the whole game you can find it on gamefaq.

The games an SF clones with guns, but not as good as SFIII. To be honest I'd say Black Matrix, Feda, Tactics Ogre and Riglord Saga 2 are all better than. All of which are also turn based battles.

Kaladron I'm surprised you haven't heard of Wachenroder as SSM did a nice preview to it.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M
                    Kaladron I'm surprised you haven't heard of Wachenroder as SSM did a nice preview to it.
                    I've heard of it but always ignored it - now I wish I hadn't.

EDIT - Anyway, I just got a sealed copy from eBay for ?3.99. Is this game really common or something?
                    Last edited by Kaladron; 17-04-2006, 22:01.

Comment

I've heard of it but always ignored it - now I wish I hadn't.

EDIT - Anyway, I just got a sealed copy from eBay for ?3.99. Is this game really common or something?
                      Very common, Sega hyped it up as a really big game and the character design was done by quite a well known Japanese artist. But the game was a bit of a turkey and it bombed in Japan.

I suspect partly due to the fact that it was released in between Shining Force III scenario's 2 & 3.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M
                        Very common, Sega hyped it up as a really big game and the character design was done by quite a well known Japanese artist. But the game was a bit of a turkey and it bombed in Japan.

I suspect partly due to the fact that it was released in between Shining Force III scenario's 2 & 3.
                        Oh man. Don't tell me it's a turkey when I just ordered one.

Comment

Oh man. Don't tell me it's a turkey when I just ordered one.
                          Don't worry it's not that bad, it just that it isn't as good as SFIII. The combat system is well done and so is the story, but the 3D attack screen look awful and your party is quite small so the battles aren't that big.

Enjoyable but not great, I paid about ?15 for mine and I felt I got my moneys worth out of it.

I just feel that there are alot better turn based combat RPG's out. Feda Remake: The Emblem of Justice and Mystaria are just better games.

Comment

The game is dirt cheap, and if its sealed it should come with an extra manual or artbook of some sorts (I can remember something like it - I had this game until last year).

Its a very good game also, think FF7 mixed with Shining 3 (the cyberpunk style from FF7). The game revolves around the use of Steam as a source of power and it uses some sort of overheat system, which you should use with care. It has standard battle levels, but also those levels where you need to lower bridges and then get to the right spot without dying to complete the level.

Comment

Right now, Wachenr?der is my favourite sRPG on the Saturn. I like it even more than SFIII!
                              The style is very nice. Great character designs and the story, although I understand very little, is quite engaging. I also like the music.

Like said before, the style is similar to games like FFVI or FFVII or the Metropolis Anime, it's best described as steampunk.

The game is very straight forward so it's also good playable even if you don't understand Japanese. Gameplay is more like Final Fantasy Tactics than Shining Force III, you don't have to travel around villages or search for items. If you really have to compare the gameplay to a Shining Force game then Shining Force CD would come closest.
                              It's just battle-after-battle-after-battle with a little shopping / talking in between

I just played it last night up to the mission in the sewers and took a few Screenshots for my homepage (click on Screenshots there).

All in all it's a very nice game and if you are into Strategy-RPGs it's really worth looking

ceno

Comment

Working...
                              X