Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro core saturn shooter special

Just watched this enjoyed it very much ,,

just wondering if there will ever be a saturn fighting special and maybe a dremacast fighting special

thanks Yakumo , good stuff
    Last edited by trev1976; 23-04-2006, 12:33.

Glad you liked it. It was the 3 part version 2 Saturn Shooting Special that you saw, wasn't it?

Hmm, maybe I'll made a fighing special one day but to be honest it will be 60% full of Capcom games with SNK taking up 30% with 10% left to anyone else.

Yakumo

Comment

I watched it, I must say: good job - that must of taken you ages to do but your enthusiasm for the genre really shows.
      I owe you my thanks for bringing to my attention some shooters I wouldn't of otherwise heard of [insert obligatory pun about bank balance]

EDIT: Also I really liked the 3 part format for each 'genre' of shooter and the fact that you included stuff like Metal Slug and Virtua Cop as well as 'proper' shooters
      Last edited by Stoise; 23-04-2006, 21:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo
        Glad you liked it. It was the 3 part version 2 Saturn Shooting Special that you saw, wasn't it?

Hmm, maybe I'll made a fighing special one day but to be honest it will be 60% full of Capcom games with SNK taking up 30% with 10% left to anyone else.

Yakumo

yeah i watched the 1st part of 3

Comment

Originally posted by Stoise
          I watched it, I must say: good job - that must of taken you ages to do but your enthusiasm for the genre really shows.
          From start to finish it must have took about 2 months to make that special. To be honest I really felt like not finishing it a few times. Here's the process that I had to do for every game on the show.

1.Saturn to MPEG 2 capture
          2.Edit the MPEG 2 file in Virtual Dub Mod and save as uncompressed RGB video
          3.Convert the edited RGB video to MPEG 1 for viewing (my PC can't play high resolution RGB video at a steady frame rate you see. It?fs too slow)
          4.Watch the MPEG 1 video and add my comments. Save comments as a 16bit wav file.
          5.Get the wav file and edited uncompressed RGB video and mix both together in Video Toolbox (Japanese software) and save as MPEG2 DVD format.

Once all files are ready in MPEG 2 DVD format I use Nero to compile and make the DVD. The download version is just a MPEG 4 copy of the DVD.

So as you can see, it was a right big job. A normal Retro Core episode takes about 15 to 20 days.

Yakumo

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo

1.Saturn to MPEG 2 capture
            2.Edit the MPEG 2 file in Virtual Dub Mod and save as uncompressed RGB video
            3.Convert the edited RGB video to MPEG 1 for viewing (my PC can't play high resolution RGB video at a steady frame rate you see. It?fs too slow)
            4.Watch the MPEG 1 video and add my comments. Save comments as a 16bit wav file.
            5.Get the wav file and edited uncompressed RGB video and mix both together in Video Toolbox (Japanese software) and save as MPEG2 DVD format.

Yakumo
            I've got a suggestion that might be helpful...

Have you considered looking at the HuffyUV codec? It's a lossless RGB compresion codec that is a lot lot faster to work with, and saves a fair bit of space.

http://www.divx-digest.com/software/huffyuv.html

You could possibly speed up that process a bit by converting the MPEG2 directly to HuffyUV, the chances are your pc will have a much better chance of playing it in real time, saving you the hassle of going to Mpeg1 to add your comments.

You'd also use the same huffyRGB file in place of the uncompressed RGB, as it's a 1:1 lossless method.

Infact, I'm working on a games video project at the moment (no competition to yourself of course ) and i've taken to capturing component or RGB in, (using a sweetspot videoboard) directly to huffyuv in software, it's a fast enough codec that my PC can handle 60fps realtime capture whilst deinterlacing and filtering at the same time (using dscaler).

I'm using an A64 3700+, but i've seen it work on slower systems. You could potentially capture losslessly direct to RGB that way.

Even if your board can't capture in anything other than Mpeg2, i've found HuffyUV to be a godsend as a working format replacing uncompressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebelli0n
              I've got a suggestion that might be helpful...

Have you considered looking at the HuffyUV codec? It's a lossless RGB compresion codec that is a lot lot faster to work with, and saves a fair bit of space.
              Yeah, I use that sometimes if I'm runing low on space but my PC still can't play that at DVD resolution. I only have a crappy 1.4 gig CPU. One day I'll splash out on a moster of a PC. I don't and never will play PC games (that's what consoles are for) but I do a lot of art, music and video stuff on the PC so I wonder what specs would be best?

Yakumo

Comment

Just want to to tell you that your programs are great - I've been watching the dreamcast movie and saturn ss v1 today, and I'm looking forward to watching v2.1-3. It's all very informative, all I'd been looking for something like this for a long time now. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Swaain
                  Just want to to tell you that your programs are great - I've been watching the dreamcast movie and saturn ss v1 today, and I'm looking forward to watching v2.1-3. It's all very informative, all I'd been looking for something like this for a long time now. Thanks!
                  You are most welcome Swaain. Glad you enjoy the show.

Yakumo

Comment

Well after seeing what's on the two shooter DVDs I think i'm going to go ahead and order them as it'll take an age to download !!. Can you tell me which format I need (DVD + or - ) to be able to view them on my UK 360 and also roughly how long does shipping take to the UK ?

Comment

Originally posted by Womble9
                      Well after seeing what's on the two shooter DVDs I think i'm going to go ahead and order them as it'll take an age to download !!. Can you tell me which format I need (DVD + or - ) to be able to view them on my UK 360 and also roughly how long does shipping take to the UK ?
                      Hmm, 360? Most if not all modern DVD players will play DVD- for video without any problems at all. Only older DVD players from say 5 years back have a problem with them or even DVD+ So I'd say the 360 should run DVD- no problem. The DVDs are also region free or region 0 in NTSC format but that shouldn't make a difference. My Japanese DVD player will play PAL DVDs fine on my NTSC TV.

Shipping from Japan to the UK takes 5 to 7 days by airmail.

Yakumo

Comment

DVD-R all the way, they're the most commonly used nowadays.

btw, i'm downloading this special as we speak, I can't wait to watch it

Comment

Working...
                        X