Fantasy platformers & brawlers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantasy platformers & brawlers

2 other classic genres I've really been enjoying / rediscovering lately, mostly thanks to the superb site below...

www.illusionware.it (owner is quite the fan of these genres, obviously..)

...rastan, astyanax, cadash, magic sword, king of dragons, knights of the round etc, great games. so what are your favourites / recommendations? 8)

D&D Shadow Over Mystera is my all time favourite fantasy brawler, just such an awesome game.

Add to that Willow, Magician Lord and the platformer from Three Wonders. Capcom do fantasy platformers/brawlers terrifically well.

Comment

Wardner was ace, the MD version is good too.

Alisia Dragoon is another excellent MD fantasy platformer. And it features a tasty bird! Bonus.

Of course there's Golden Axe 1 & 2 on the MD as well...Sean already knows of my rather unnatural love for these games.

I've got a soft spot for Jewel Master on the Megadrive, even if it's a bit iffy.

Sorry for the shameless linkage to my site but I want you to visit a resource you can trust.

Comment

Another vote for Wardner, still the only game I know of that uses a joystick wiggle to shuffle under low ledges

Comment

Ooooo I nearly forgot, the fab isometric Dark Seal

Comment

The original Rastan, as mentioned, is so much fun but hard as nails even with infinite credits. God only knows want went wrong with Rastan 2, it's a steamy pile. I only discovered at the weekend that there's a Rastan 3 as well, not yet played it though.

Cadash is just about dullest arcade game I've ever sampled, to think people actually had to pay money to play it back in the day is shocking.

It's been mentioned alot recently, but Ninja Warriors Again on the Snes really is superb and is a totally overlooked classic, best game of it's type on the system IMO.

The D&D pack on the Saturn annoyed me so much that I sold it a week after buying it. It looks really cool but those loading times are unforgiveable, especially with 4mb cart in use.

Alisia Dragoon is a personal favourate, with such incredible music. I'd like to finish it some day but it is a tricky bugger later on, especially with so few continues.

Comment

When I go back to Tenerife this year, I am going to learn beforehand exactly how to say it, and then march into the arcade near where I stayed last year and speak to the manager, get him to sell me the Shadow Over Mystera CPS kit they have there.

"Me llamo Sean. GIVE ME YOUR ARCADE BOARD-O"

Comment

Add to that Willow, Magician Lord and the platformer from Three Wonders. Capcom do fantasy platformers/brawlers terrifically well.
                Magician Lord - has anyone managed to last more than 5 minutes on this? Makes Ghouls 'n Ghosts look a doddle!

Comment

Shadow of the beast

I also like fantasy shooters such as sol divide gynoug and agony

Comment

I'd second shadow of the beast. Granted, it's not really the champion of gameplay... but it makes up for it with that sublime fantasy atmosphere, and that amazing music, I don't think Dave whittaker ever quite topped his work there myself.

Guardian Heros on the Saturn is quite a good fantasy brawler.

Comment

Does anyone remember the name of an isometric fantasy brawler, where you cold choose from four characters - two of which (by way of memorable speech samples ) were definately "THE BARD!" and "NINJA!"? I think the other two were probably some kind of wizard / mage and a knight.

They had it in the sweetshop outside my middle school and I'll be buggered if I can remember what it was called >_<

Comment

Look about 6 posts up, at my last one

Comment

Originally posted by babs
                          Look about 6 posts up, at my last one
                          YOU are THE BARD!

Comment

Originally posted by Duddyroar
                            I've got a soft spot for Jewel Master on the Megadrive, even if it's a bit iffy.
                            Was playing Jewel Master the other week. Found it in th gf's house gathering dust. It aint bad.

Comment

I like Dragon Buster, though it's definitely showing its age. Legend Of Hero Tonma was cool in the arcades but I only think this ever came out for the PC Engine. I could be wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X