Mega CD and Mega Drive question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mega CD and Mega Drive question.

Well just picked up a mint UK Mega CD 2 today, and I noticed on the box it semi hints that it might improve the odd Mega Drive cartridge game when plugged in to the Mega CD 2.

I don't believe it does improve any games, but does it?

Also what are some recommend Mega CD games.

I've only got:

Sonic CD
    Thunderhawk
    Keio flying squadron

And the only game currently on my wants list is Shining Force CD.

I've never heard that before, I doubt it's true.

As for must have games, I'd say:

Final Fight
    Snatcher
    Robo Aleste
    Popful Mail (US NTSC)

Comment

I have a Mega CD 2 box sat right next to me!

"Fits easily to your Megadrive to play your Megadrive cartridges at double the power & speed" apparently.

Comment

Sounds a lot like marketing BS to me. I certainly never noticed any difference in any MD games when I played them with the MCD attached, or in the Multimega. Sonic 2 still went to snail's pace in two player on the Mystic Cave zone whenever someone lost their rings ....

Tirian

Comment

I never seen any diff, most prob PR bulsh8t as the Mega CD CPU runs twice has fast .

Anyway if you got a CDX there's loads to get, but if not here's some Pal ones to check out .

Snatcher
          Battle Corps
          SoulStar
          Slippheed
          Dracula Unleashed (its a laugh a sec)
          Cobra Command
          Road Avenger
          Prize Fighter
          Jurassic Park (its nothing like the Cart game)
          NHL 94 (oh the sound makes all the diff)
          Sennsible Soccer (for me the Best version)
          WonderDog (if only for the music)
          Jaguar XJ220
          Sherlock homes 1&2
          Enternal Champions
          Robo Aleste.

Get a a Pro Datel CDX for the best of the JP and USA stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda
            Jurassic Park (its nothing like the Cart game)
            You say that as if the cart game was bad?

Anyway, another shout for Popful Mail. Best game on the system if you ask me. Certainly in the top 5, under Snatcher, Sonic CD and... if you even like that kind of thing, Shining Force CD.

Oh, and for FMV games, Ground Zero Texas is one of the best out there. Good acting, dynamic semi-random gameplay that actually works, and a fun blaster all round.

Comment

Originally posted by Szczepaniak
              and... if you even like that kind of thing, Shining Force CD.

Comment

lol, it's like hooking fish in a barrel. Works everytime with Mr Kaladron.

I was only jesting, don't always take it to heart.

Comment

You're right. It wasn't bad. It was a truly diabolical, shambling, painful crap-heap that didn't deserve the moniker of 'game', since that would imply an element of fun.

The CD version, rather than being a mediocre looking patformer with awe-inspiringly poor collision detection, is a rather jolly adventure romp.

That said, I'll take Space Adventure, Snatcher or Lords of Thunder any day over that. Dune was cool too.

Comment

Originally posted by Tirian
                    You're right. It wasn't bad. It was a truly diabolical, shambling, painful crap-heap that didn't deserve the moniker of 'game', since that would imply an element of fun.

I actually... There's no easy to say this. But I rate Jurassi Park on the MD as in my top 10 favourite MD games of all time. I clocked it again recently, and it was as fun as when I was but a lad. Love that riverboat level, and the fact that enemies wake up after time.

Plus, you can play as the Raptor!

Comment

Anyway, another shout for Popful Mail. Best game on the system if you ask me. Certainly in the top 5, under Snatcher, Sonic CD and... if you even like that kind of thing, Shining Force CD.

Oh, and for FMV games, Ground Zero Texas is one of the best out there. Good acting, dynamic semi-random gameplay that actually works, and a fun blaster all round.
                      I though the cart one was dire myself . I liked most of the FMV games onthe Mega CD even Night Trap and Prize Fighter was just amazing when it 1st shipped. Loved Ground Zero Texas and TomCat Alley too .

There's loads of good USA game to get too, not least popful mail and the Lunars (best RPG's ever) but you'll need a CDX to play them
                      Last edited by Team Andromeda; 27-04-2006, 16:11.

Comment

Popful Mail works ok if you rip the disc, change the territory and reburn it. The FMVs go a bit funny, but the game itself is still great.

Such a pity it was never releasedin Europe. More people need to play it.

Comment

TopCat Alley
                          lol

Comment

I've got a PAL MD/MCD, that i want to 60hz mod. I had a quick look at the md PCB, and cut the track to get it to 60hz (where i will then solder on a switch when i can get around to buying a new soldering iron).

This worked, the MD ran at 60hz, but when it's attached to my MCD, it throws up an error saying it's not compatible.

Now, i've read that you don't usually touch the MCD and just do the megadrive. Is it the case that i'd basically have to turn the unit on at 50hz, then once it's got past the check, switch it over to 60hz? or do i have to do more on the MD itself, or do i actually need to get into the mcd unit?

I was hoping to not have to touch the MCD, as i've got a couple of megadrives, and i was happy to guddle about with one. The MCD i'd rather not open up though as it's my only one.

I've not really found much info on this

Comment

Anyway if you got a CDX there's loads to get, but if not here's some Pal ones to check out .

Get a a Pro Datel CDX for the best of the JP and USA stuff
                              I do indeed plan to track down a CDX to play import titles.

So feel free to list NTSC games as currently all I really know about is Lunar, Shadowrun and Popful Mail.

As for the Mega CD link up, maybe it just me be but the MD version of Virtua Racing seems to play more smoothly when the Mega CD is attached.

My brother also picked up Road Avenger and Sol-Feace & Cobra Command today.8)

Comment

Working...
                              X