Games hidden within games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Games hidden within games

I love it when games have extra stuff bunged in - it seems to make the package that little bit more complete. I'm thinking here of games that have either retro games or intriguing hidden subgames tucked away. Off the top of my head, these are some mainly commonly known ones I remember:

Rebel Strike on Gamecube has the original arcade Star Wars trilogy as a bonus (Jedi being a super-secret bonus.) And the co-op Rogue Squadron 2.

Shenmue 1 & 2 - Outrun, Space Harrier, Afterburner, Hang On.

Prince Of Persia: The Sands Of Time contains the original POP game (and the XBox version has the sequel, too.)

Zero Divide on PS1 has the full version of Phalanx on it.

Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden Black both have secret games, though I don't know the differences between the two in this respect apart from the fact that Black has the old arcade game on it and the older Gaiden doesn't.

Eve Of Extinction / EOE on PS2 has a strange cycling game tucked away in it.

Gradius 3 & 4 on PS2 has a couple of levels from Gradius 1 and Salamander (iirc??) Not strictly an extra game but very cool.

Xevious 3D/G+ on PS1 has a couple of retro versions of Xevious on it.

If anyone knows of any more, please post!
    Last edited by JazzFunk; 30-04-2006, 15:36.

I didnt think the star wars games were "hidden" how do you get them?

Comment

Outrun 2 has Outrun

Panzer Dragoon Orta has Panzer dragoon

Metal slug on PS1 (not sure about saturn) has another story mode, which contains several mini-games.

all I can think of at the mo.

Comment

The Goemon games on the Super Famicom had little extras such as mini versions of Gradius and Xexe when you visited the arcades.

Dynamite Deka (Die Hard Arcade) on the Saturn has a submarine game which was the first game the producer of Dynamite Deka ever made.

Elevator Action Returns on the Saturn has the original Elevator Action once you complete the main game.

Sengoku Turb 1 and 2 on the Dreamcast are jam packed with mini games from racers to puzzle games.

Clockwork Knight Special edition (both games linked as one game) on the Saturn has some hidden games as well.

Yakumo

Comment

I forgot about the XBox Sega ones.

House Of The Dead 3 has House Of The Dead 2 as an unlockable, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouenben
            I didnt think the star wars games were "hidden" how do you get them?
            Well, I kind of mean 'bonus' as well as hidden - I can't actually remember if you had to unlock SW and ESB as it's about 2 years since I played through Rebel Strike. Jedi requires two secret codes to unlock it. It's looking shabby these days but it's nice to have it.

Comment

The original Metroid appears in Metroid Prime and Zero Mission.

Fight Night Round 2 (GC) has Super Punch-Out!!

Comment

TMNT 2 Battle Nexus has the arcade version of TMNT turtles in time.

Sonic Adventure GC has some Game Gear games.

Gunstar Heroes Treasure box has Prototype and Master system versions.

I think Zanac X Zanac on PS1 has the original included.

Comment

Death Tank Zwei is well hidden in some crap Saturn game, never played myself but it's supposed be great.

The crusty old shooter Phalanx is unlockable in the crappy PS1 game Zero Divide (1 or 2, not sure).

Comment

Destruct inside Tyrian

Comment

Nice topic. I love this sort of thing too.

Originally posted by moonwhistle
                      Death Tank Zwei is well hidden in some crap Saturn game, never played myself but it's supposed be great.
                      You needed to have 2 save files from seperate games to make it appear. The games in question were Exhumed, Duke Nukem 3D & Quake, all made by Lobotomy. Quake is crap but the others were good at the time.

Originally posted by lurch996
                      I think Zanac X Zanac on PS1 has the original included.
                      It does. Plus the Famicom Disk version, but they're not hidden. You choose which version you want at the main menu.

Few more that come to mind:

The original Donkey Kong cabinet can be found in Donkey Kong 64. The factory level IIRC.

"Zoradius" can be unlocked in Anubis: Zone Of The Enders / Z.O.E The 2nd Runner

Sonic Gems Collection has Bare Knuckle 1,2,3 as unlockables.

Surprised no-one mentioned this, but several Namco games feature a retro classic whilst they're loading;

Ridge Racers (New Rally X)
                      Tekken 5 (Starblade Alpha)
                      Ridge Racer (Galaxians)
                      Ridge Racer Revolution (Galaga '88)
                      Tekken (Galaga)

And possibly a few more...

Oh yeah, and the Arcade versions of Tekken, Tekken 2 & Tekken 3 are also available in Tekken 5

Tekken 5 also has the sub-game "Devil Within". Tekken 3 and Tekken 4 also have their own sub-games; "Tekken Ball" & "Tekken Force".

Comment

There is a limited game of Fantasy Zone in the Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf for Megadrive.

Comment

Doubutsu no mori+ has loads of Nes games in it including zelda & Smb

Donkeykong 64 had jetpac & Donkeykong hidden in it.

Day of the tentacle had Maniac mansion.

Comment

Dynamite Cop 2 has Safari Hunt retro game on it. An old Sega Coin Op I'm guessing.

Comment

You needed to have 2 save files from seperate games to make it appear. The games in question were Exhumed, Duke Nukem 3D & Quake, all made by Lobotomy. Quake is crap but the others were good at the time.
                              Not quite the USA version of Exhumed called Powerslave did have the Deth tank game if you got all the Team dolls , and never mind Good Exhumed is still bes fps I've ever played .

Return to Castle Wolfenstin - Had the classic PC original in it

Rayman III - Lots of mini games

Cliffhanger (Mega CD) - Had a really fun Time Trial cheat hidden in it

Comment

Working...
                              X