Favourite Mario Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favourite Mario Game

In anticipation for the New Super Mario Bros. game on the DS, I am hoping to play through all the previous games before May 15th. Anyways, was wondering what you peeps consider to be the best Mario game to date.

For me, the clear winner has to be Mario World. Everything about it is just sheer perfection, and I will never forget first playing it all those years ago. Seems as fresh and exciting today as it was on the day of release. A masterpiece.

Also would like to big-up the Lost Levels which really separates the men from the boys. Can anybody remember if the Lost Levels were included in Mario bros. DX for the GBC?

Super Mario World for me, too.

It rules the age of 16-bit platforming with the perfect level designs, catchy music, responsive controls and vibrant graphics.

I still play it regularly now.

Comment

Super Mario 64. I'm not swayed by 8-bit or 16-bit nostalgia, despite my abiding love for SM3 and SMW: SM64 was superior to all that had gone before, both in terms of quality gameplay and the 'wow' factor.

Comment

I spent Easter weekend playing both world and 64 through with a mate (my Mrs was away so I could get away with it). We got some booze n pot and just sat there for three days solid, well apart from food and a few hours sleep. I honestly can?t decide between the two of them, they are both the pinnacle of there respective genre?s, pure gaming bliss both of them. I may have to get myself a DS for NSMB I think it might be the clincher.

Comment

Originally posted by parkinho
          Also would like to big-up the Lost Levels which really separates the men from the boys. Can anybody remember if the Lost Levels were included in Mario bros. DX for the GBC?
          Yes it was, you had to get a certain high score to unlock it.

As for my fave mario game its a tie between Smw & Smb 3.

But to be honest all of them are my faves (^-^)

Comment

I have to agree as outstanding as Mario Bros. 3 and World were 64 was something else. I remember taking days off school just to play it, it's control was perfect to really made perfect use of the N64 pad.

Comment

There's so many brillant Mario games but for me it's not hard to choose. Mario 64 by a long stretch.

As a kid I saw it for the first time in Woking in ToysRus and had no idea the game was comming. After holding the strange looking controller and tip toeing then bursting out to a run accross the beautiful looking 3D world I was transfixed by it.

I dont think I've been so awe struck by a videogame since. To this day it's one of the most beautiful looking, sounding, feeling, devious and brillant games ever made and it shocked me even more when it was released as I was a kid.

Wonderfull, wonderfull game

Comment

Super Mario World, for me this is the best Mario game ever. Call me old fashioned, but I think platform games are better in its 2D form.

Comment

mine is definately yoshi's island. I can't believe this never makes it to the top slot. it's beautiful to look at, the bosses are amazing and it looks as good today as it did when it first came out.

Comment

This is tricky for me, i even love SMB2 (uk release) but if push come to shove, Super Mario World, just slightly behind by a whisker is SMB3.

Comment

Mine is Yoshi's Island and SMB3. I only like Yoshi's Island a bit more though. ^_^

Comment

If I had to be picky, I'd put in another vote for Super Mario World myself. Other favourites (in no particular order):-

Super Mario Bros - Acid test for all true Mario fans: Completing this true classic with one life and going through all 32 levels without using the Warp Zones!!

Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels (SMB2 Japan) - the ultimate gaming test for any self-respecting Mario fan, surely?

Super Mario Bros 3 - What more can you say? Like SMW and SM64, Miyamoto-san at the peak of his powers. One of the all-time platform greats, without question.

Super Mario Land - Ridiculously easy then and now, but a nice handheld debut for the plumber. Great music, and the shoot-em-up sections were different in a good way.

Yoshi's Island - A brilliant way to see out the SNES era.

Super Mario 64 - Like everyone else, this blew me away when I first saw it running live. Has 3D platforming ever been done better?
                        Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 30-04-2006, 18:58.

Comment

The original Super Mario Bros., introduced me to a whole new... oh, nevermind, it's obvious, isn't it

Comment

As much as I love Super Mario 64, I find the 2D ones with the time limits and scoring to be more replayable.

Playing through SM64 is like playing through a Zelda game for me - a superb experience from start to finsh, but not one I'd want to repeat anytime soon.

Originally posted by importaku
                            As for my fave mario game its a tie between Smw & Smb 3.
                            Same here, but if push came to shove, I'd go for SMW since it has Yoshi

Comment

It's definately between super mario world or Super mario 64 for me, but the
                              original super mario, is only just behind. theres something to be said for the purity of the original, theres not many games of that age that are still so playable.

Comment

Working...
                              X