Best home version of Bubble Bobble??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best home version of Bubble Bobble??

What's the best home console version of Bubble Bobble??

In particular I'm after information regarding the following versions and how they compare:

PAL Playstation 1 version - Cant find any releiable reviews anywhere. Sells for decent prices on ebay. Is there a reason the PSX version is so popular? Awful boxart....

Saturn version

PAL Taito Legends - Ive heard bad things

GBA Bubble Bobble 'Old & New'

Though it's not exactly arcade perfect I'm still rather partial to the NES conversion of Bubble Bobble. One of the systems best games imo (up there with SMB3 and River City Ransom!!!).

Im not too concerned with 'arcade perfect'. If a version plays slightly different to teh arcade original but is a better experience thats fine with me. Ive been told the saturn game has slightly changed bubble physics, but Ive no idea if thsi is a good or bad thing. Anyone?

Cheers.
    Last edited by craptest; 01-05-2006, 05:06.

Best port is probably the one in NTSC-J Taito Memories Joukan. I believe the port was done by Taito themselves, unlike the PAL version.

Saying that, I can't say I've noticed much wrong with Bubble Bobble in the PC version of Taito Legends.

Comment

Originally posted by Kubrick
      Best port is probably the one in NTSC-J Taito Memories Joukan. I believe the port was done by Taito themselves, unlike the PAL version.

Saying that, I can't say I've noticed much wrong with Bubble Bobble in the PC version of Taito Legends.
      On the PC one woudl probably just lean towards MAME.

Yeah I was aware that the Taito Memories emulation was different to that which appears on Taito Legends. Its just that Ive gone without a Japanese enabled PS2 for thsi long Im rather hesitant to take the plunge now.

Does anyone here own the PAL Playstation 1 Bubble Bobble?? Is it worth getting? Or is there something I should know....

Comment

The PAL Taito Legends is the arcade version, and it feels ... faster? than the arcade version. To me it feels slightly off, but then I never played it much in the arcade.

The GBA Old & New version is awesome. Controls really well and is a perfect representation of the game I played to death on my old C64

Comment

Originally posted by markgreyam

The GBA Old & New version is awesome. Controls really well and is a perfect representation of the game I played to death on my old C64
          Oh man. That C64 version was pretty poor if I remember correctly. The commodore had good ports of Ghost N Goblins and Green Beret, but Double Dragon and Bubble Bobble I recall being fairly crap.

I read some good things about the GBA version. The option to have full screen or zoomed in is cool. They apparently changed the music slightly (tell me if Im mistaken) bringing it down an octave or two. My biggest problem with it is no full two player support from one cart. Its bad enough having to own two GBA systems (I do though. I micro and a snazzy backlit SP. Dont own the 2 cables Id need to connect them though ). Now I have to buy two copies of the one game? god no.

Comment

The GBA one has the cable included with it most places.

The original on the DS Bubble Bobble is very good.

Comment

I always loved the GB version most actually

Comment

The PAL Saturn version of Bubble Bobble is the king! Nothing else comes close imho, tho I have not tried the PS1 vers but most of the rest I have

Comment

Cool. Been playing BB lots recently.

Imo the best home version is the Marty one. Flawless conversion, and has Super BB too. But its pretty much unobtainable.

Other than that BB Old and New on the GBA is brilliant. Perhaps not as accurate a conversion as others (music is a little diff etc) but very solid classic BB play by and large.

Comment

The pal ps1 version is supposed to be top notch,if you like that sort of thing, hence the high prices. Not a converstion by taito themselfs though, i belive it was ported by the team that did the respected amiga version.

Comment

GBA version gets my vote just edging out the Saturn version as to me it just feels that bit better on a handheld. A fantastic game with loads of little hidden bits .

Comment

Originally posted by craptest
                        Oh man. That C64 version was pretty poor if I remember correctly. The commodore had good ports of Ghost N Goblins and Green Beret, but Double Dragon and Bubble Bobble I recall being fairly crap.
                        C64 version is my favourite conversion for the machine. Totally excellent!
                        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

PAL PS1 and Saturn games are identical afaik. I've never noticed any difference between em anyway, other than the fact that u can generally pick up the saturn ver with the console for the same price as the PS1 game hehe.

The GBA ver is excellent, and I love the remixed bubble bobble theme on Bubble Bobble new. One of my fave GBA carts.

Comment

[QUOTE=Smegaman]PAL PS1 and Saturn games are identical afaik. I've never noticed any difference between em anyway, other than the fact that u can generally pick up the saturn ver with the console for the same price as the PS1 game hehe.

So the PSX/Saturn bubble bobble - are they pretty much arcade perfect? Did they mess around with it in any way? ie updated visuals or different music?

Comment

my fave is the master system version, it doesnt have the weird well type thing going down to thingy's girlfriends and on level 48 and 80 and 100 there are bosses, so far i've yet to find another version with bosses on level 48. the GBA and taito legends versions dont. Or the pc one (bubble bobble and rainbow islands)
                              Also theres a door on level 1 if you wait long enough on the MS one, not on any others though

I had the gba one and was fond of it but the master system one remains top of the list for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X