Favorite shoot-em-up levels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite shoot-em-up levels?

Got any fav's you like re-playing over & over? Was playing Strikers 1945 II yesterday and i was loving level 2, also level 2 in Sonic wings special (a night flight/fight over Paris) is just lovely.

R-Type level 3. Surely one of the best ever? And level 3 of R-Type Final too. I just love the atmosphere of the whole level- the music works perfectly with the gloomy colour scheme and the sense of massiveness of the ship is astounding- love it.

I used to really love playing the fast tunnel level of Aero Blaster on the MD too- was it level 2? I remember being blown away at the time by the sense of speed.
    Last edited by endo; 03-05-2006, 08:54.

Comment

blazing star on the Neo Geo

most levels tbh, as it seems to be producing 3d parallax backgrounds

but we all know that teh Neo cant do 3d

but its doing it somehow, especially the 2nd stage

Comment

I really like the "Illegal Mission" stage from Battle Bakraid. Axelay has plenty of top levels, too. The third one has some of the finest and most appropriate music Souji Taro's ever written (as does the 2nd level), as well a lovely boss.

A more recent favourite is Gradius V's level 6. Even though it takes a while to get to grips with, I just love the art direction (particularly at the entrance to the facility), and the soundtrack as a whole - though not my usual cup of tea - really started to grow on me at that point. You learn to show that green goo who's boss after a while...

Comment

I do admit when i came across the first boss in blazing star i was amazed

Also the strife level in thunder force 4 amazing parallax background

Comment

Zero gunner 2 - orbital elevator

Battle garegga - level 4 in the skies

Comment

7-1 to 7-3 on Gradius V is simply orgasmic.

Comment

played Silpheed (mega-cd) yesterday and the 1st level (even the 2nd) is pretty good

the graphics are pretty naff but the atmosphere is brilliant - on the 2nd level avoiding asteroids with your pilot screaming go right or left

Loads of screaming by your crew and ships exploding right infront of you

shame the bosses are just a little bit bigger than the silpheed

Comment

Level 1 on Ikaruga - keep replaying is because I hope to chain the whole thing one day.

I really love the Stealth Bomber levels on Area 88 as well - they're not the most graphically interesting, but the music is superb & I just adore the flashes of lightning in the background.

Harmful Park - not sure if it's level 2 or 3, but when you come across the wedding, having to shoot hearts & tears - absolutely priceless.

Comment

The first levels of DODONPACHI & BATTLE GEREGGA. The music & Atmos just superb.

The best tho, the first section of DOWNLOAD on PC Engine, the first level is split into 3 parts before a cut scene, the music and pacing makes it just one of the best games they made.

The Starblade level (if youve played it youll know lol) on Raystorm.

Comment

Oh psyvariar 2 most of the levels impress but i really loved the last level (the secret one)

the music i thought was great

Comment

progear level 2 (love the water effects)
                        eliminate down level 3 8)
                        axelay level 2
                        viper phase 1 lots-of-battleships level
                        Last edited by kallbrand; 03-05-2006, 10:27.

Comment

Area 88 level 1 & the Jungle and Canyon levels
                          Darius Twin 'A'
                          Gunhed level 1
                          Xexex - The 'Bubble' level

Comment

Level 6 (the organic level) in Zero Wing.

The underwater section of the first level in Thunderforce 4. That music is brilliant.

V.V and Truxton can both lay claim to a couple of eye openers too.

Comment

Lava level on Axelay... no in fact all them (only 6 after all)

Comment

Working...
                              X