US GC/Freeloader/Pal Game problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US GC/Freeloader/Pal Game problem

I've got a US Gamecube that I currently connect to my TV via the S-VHS socket on the front, using a GC-SVHS lead. All my US games play in full colour.

Recently, so I could buy cheap pre-owned games, I bought Datel's Freeloader and a pre-owned copy of Star Fox (Pal).

When I boot it up, Freeloader is in colour, but the games is in black & white.

Can anyone tell me what kind of lead I need in order to be able to play Pal games in colour? Furthermore, has anyone got a link to such a lead, so I can see what they look like and hopefully pick one up at the weekend.

Many Thanks
    Goose

I had this prob I think the UK games have to have the 60 hz option to play in colour.

Comment

Your TV either needs to be able to display 50hz NTSC (unlikely) or you need a hacked RGB lead (?40-50 ish, Saurian will sort you out). And yes, you'll only need this for games with no 60hz option.

Comment

yep, games that aren't 60hz compatible show up b&W on a us cube, the rgb lead is needed to display it in colour

Comment

Aw, PAL Starfox is only 50hz? Booo....

Your TV either needs to be able to display 50hz NTSC (unlikely)
          This is a really good assumption to make but actually it's not true - 50hz games on an NTSC GameCube actually do not output in NTSC-50. My TV actually supports NTSC-50 to some extent (tried it on Dreamcast), only with the screen position totally wrong and the colors quite weird.

How do I know NTSC-50 when I see it? Well, the Tint/Hue control appears on my TV instead of the sharpness control for NTSC standards. Using the USA GameShark on my PAL Dreamcast with a 50hz game output NTSC-50.

I also tried a 50hz PAL Cube game on my TV card, which can be set to a variety of standards (all the weird PAL ones, MESECAM, you name it) including NTSC-50, and the GameCube shows a picture like this one:

So um, to get to the point, you will NEED an RGB cable. No TV will show this in color.

Comment

Many thanks to all in this thread for your time and advice. A hacked RGB cable it is then!

Thanks again

Goose

Comment

Thanks for the info Lyris, I'd heard the 50hz NTSC bit to be true from a number of people, but never confirmed it myself. Should have mentioned that ^_^

Comment

The RGB cable may not necessarily help though. Some people have tested 50Hz only games on ntsc cubes with rgb cable and its sometimes still in b&w. This is unconfirmed by me though. If anyone wants to send me a load of pal games to try out, I'll update the faq! Otherwise, please let us know how you get on if you get the modded cable.

Comment

There are so many TVs and so many issues regarding this Freeloader garbage that it's impossible to say for certain that a modded RGB cable will solve it. By all means try one - it's worth getting one for the improved image quality, you could always return it if it's no good to you.

Comment

It might be worth giving Datel tech support a call on 01785 810826. Perhaps they might have a magical solution!

Comment

My TV actually supports NTSC-50 to some extent (tried it on Dreamcast), only with the screen position totally wrong and the colors quite weird.
                      So it doesn't actually support it then does it?
                      Funniest post I've seen this week. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr
                        The RGB cable may not necessarily help though. Some people have tested 50Hz only games on ntsc cubes with rgb cable and its sometimes still in b&w. This is unconfirmed by me though. If anyone wants to send me a load of pal games to try out, I'll update the faq! Otherwise, please let us know how you get on if you get the modded cable.
                        I've used PAL 50 games with the Freeloader on an NTSC Cube.

- with s-video I get black and white
                        - with hacked rgb I get color

I've tried quite a few 50Hz games too, Luigi, Pikmin, SSX Tricky, Wave Race, etc. All in color with the hacked RGB cable.

Comment

Well, I've got PAL Starfox Adventures and if you hold down B at boot-up, it does have a 60Hz mode/option. Although, I've only tried this on a PAL GameCube.

When you're booting up the game on you're US GC, try holding down B.

Comment

Originally posted by yashiro
                            My TV actually supports NTSC-50 to some extent (tried it on Dreamcast), only with the screen position totally wrong and the colors quite weird.
                            So it doesn't actually support it then does it?
                            Funniest post I've seen this week. Cheers!
                            LOL, glad it amused you but when I said it supports it to some extent, I meant that to mean that it got a picture in color and in a semi-watchable quality.

And yep, holding B after you close the lid in Freeloader will ask you for 60hz if the game supports it. The RGB cable shows color on all 50hz games on all the TVs I've tried it on - is there any reason for it not to, since RGB bypasses NTSC and PAL standards?

Comment

Working...
                            X