Elite, which is better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elite, which is better?

The original BBC version, C64 or frontier for the Amiga?
    Last edited by deepsky; 05-05-2006, 21:33.

Beeb version was the original and best imo, oh and you forgot to mention the Spectrum one which wasn't bad either.

Comment

I think you can find first encounters and frontier online to download quite easily

Plus i think there have been patches made by home programmers to fix a lot of the bugs

Comment

AFAIK the Archie version is considered the best.

As for Frontier and First Encounters... perleeese.

Utter tosh of the very highest order.

Stick to the original, it has never been bettered... ever. A fact I would love to some day change.
        Last edited by gizmo1990; 05-05-2006, 22:03.

Comment

Frontier on the Amiga for me - the number of hours I lost on that game was unreal.

Memories of docking with spacestations to the strains of The Blue Danube will never leave me. Especially when I'd knock off the autopilot and try it myself, crashing and burning in a horrible fashion time after time.

Plus forcing Hyperspace Mis-Jump's. Brilliant fun until you realised that you were forever stranded in the depths of space with no fuel and no one around for billions of light years in all directions

Comment

It always amazed me in frontier when you take off and pass through the atmosphere of a planet into space

A mate of mine put a huge amount of hours into it think he got a panther clipper ship eventually (not sure if the name of the ship is correct)

Comment

Arrgh, far too many computers to buy!

Comment

Originally posted by gizmo1990
                AFAIK the Archie version is considered the best.
                Straight up.

Get a system to run it for 20 bob.

Comment

Now i've got started on a proper retro tip, what was the C64 game where you went through rooms in an underground world, was it called mercenaries?

Comment

Two best versions are agreed to be the NES version (fast'n'arcadey, Ian Bell's favourite), and the Acorn Archimedes version(Elite 1 on steroids).

The Mac OS X version was quite good too.

http://bhprojects.com/elite/

Comment

Working...
                    X