Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taito Legends 2, PS2 vs Xbox (see 3rd page)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taito Legends 2, PS2 vs Xbox (see 3rd page)

Just to copy and paste above my original post, what I said on the 3rd page:

So I finally got hold of the Xbox version. Wow. Vastly superior to the PS2 version, in so many ways.

I actually went and did some research, and I think I may have said this previously, but the PS2 version was by Taito, and the Xbox version was by Explosiv/Empire. And a hell of a lot more effort went into the Xbox version that the PS2 one.

While the PS2 game allows full button customisation for the controls, the Xbox version has a history section on Taito, a section on their landmark developments, plus a video interview with the gentleman behind Space Invaders. This is all very impressive.

But above all else, the Xbox version has perfect emulation/coding of the games. All the controls work well, everything functions correctly.

I also looked into why some versions have different games to others. This has nothing to do with selling more copies. Apparently Taito Japan, who developed the PS2 version, wouldn?t give out the source code for games like Raystorm and G Darius, meaning only they were able to make a properly functioning version of it. On the other hand, apparently, due to the lack of raw power in the PS2, or RAM or something, I honestly wasn?t paying attention when hearing the explanation, this meant that only the Xbox could run games like Rayforce. Taito Japan were apparently unable to get it running for their PS2 compilation, while Explosiv/Empire were able. Not sure about games like Bubble Symphony of Pop?n?Pop. But several titles were due to either not having source code, or the hardware abilities of the system it was running on (and maybe also balancing out the numbers of 4 vs 4).

But I think the key point here is, those behind the Xbox version deserve much praise for going that extra mile when developing it. You can tell much care went into things, from the perfect emulation and functionality of all games, even down to the custom menu screen music. It?s good to know they took the project seriously, and created something for retro fans to be happy with. They were also extremely helpful at customer support.

I find it bitterly ironic, that the version created by Taito themselves, turned out to be poor compared to the work of a 3rd party.

To summarise, now that I have both and have played them extensively, this is without doubt the best retro compilation out there, and HIGHLY recommended.

But if you DO decide to buy it, get the Xbox version, if possible.

OLD POST:
    My copy of Taito Legends 2 finally arrived today, and I'm sad to say whoever did it, botched the job quite badly. In fact, incredibly badly!

There is a fundamental problem, which makes a lot of games nearly impossible.

For some reason, when you hold a button down, it doesn't register in a lot of games. It only reads it once.

So far I've tested and noticed this with EVA, Metal Black, and Cameltry.

In EVA the machinegun doesn't work when you hold the button down, you have to tap it, making it like the handgun. In MB the second beam weapon doesn't work properly, since one of its modes requires the button to be held. In Cameltry, it appears as if you can't speed the ball up anymore by holding the button.

Maybe other games are also affected, but these were the first 3 I tested, and I am very dissapointed with the whole package.

The games border on unplayable now. It totally ruins the experience, and is nowhere near like playing older ports, MAME, or the originals. In fact, it makes the compilatioon utterly worthless.

Did anyone else notice this? Was there a topic and I missed it? Did the Japanese versions have this problem? I was waiting for the PAL version to save money, but it looks like I should have just gone with Play-Asia and imported them.

Damn, this sucks.
    Last edited by Sketcz; 01-06-2006, 13:16.

Silly question..but I take it your pad is fine?

Comment

Yup. Checked it with other company's games, works fine. Plus, some Taito games do work when you hold the button. Like Lunar Rescue.

It only seems to be some of their later arcade games... Baffling... Especially since I just loaded MAME up and EVA and MB work fine. I wasn't bothered about tate modes, or screen resolution, but these control issues are quite a serious problem. It's like they weren't play tested.

Comment

Indeed. That's pretty disgusting tbh.

I'd take/send it back for sure and email the publishers too. Never know they might send you a poster or something to apologise.

Comment

Yeah man send it back sounds like a piece of ****, im very wary of retro packs and dont own any bar Midway 2 which is passable.

Comment

Well, it only cost ?9.99 from Play.com with free postage to France. Postage alone would cost me a few quid, so I'm stuck with it. But I guess this serves as a warning to me for the future, and others who might be tempted to buy it (stay WELL clear).

Comment

Originally posted by Szczepaniak
              EVA
              Elevator Action Returns?

Anyway, PC version FTW. I got both Legends packs for less than a tenner on ebay. Holding down buttons works fine in them.

I made a point of NOT getting this for the PS2 after the shambolic first release.

Comment

Yeah, I noticed this in Elevator Action 2 on it too. The machine gun doesnt work at all - so it has to function as just a pistol you can shoot faster with. Doesn't hurt the game at all though, at least not in my opinion. Metal Black, even in MAME, is like that though. You just get like 5 seconds of rapid fire and then you have to press the button again. Just the way the game's made.

Comment

Just tried Elevator Action Returns on the Xbox version, and fortunately the machine gun seems to work fine. Metal Black seemed ok too

Comment

Originally posted by Rock
                    You just get like 5 seconds of rapid fire and then you have to press the button again. Just the way the game's made.
                    Nah, I meant the second weapon. If it's at MAX, you must hold the button for a lengthy beam, but only tap it for lots of smaller crazy beams. The long beam won't work since it doesn't register holding the button.

Oh well, thanks for letting me know about the Xbox version. Looks like I'll have to pick that one up too.

Comment

I got the Japanese ones and there are no problems there. Presentation and front end are much nicer too, although I can't understand a ****ing thing. I only picked up Taito Legends 1 cos it has Rainbow Islands and Volfied on it - two shock omissions off the jap releases.

Comment

I reviewed the Xbox version and noticed no problems with this at all. I'll look at the PS2 one tonight.

Comment

According to people I've spoken to, only the PS2 version has this problem. Luckilly it's cheap and I have both systems... Still, EVA on the Saturn costs ?50 alone, so if the ?9.99 Xbox version has it running perfectly, I may forgive Xplosiv for not testing it's games properly.

Comment

That's funny, I was playing EVA last night and noticed this problem. I'm not that annoyed though. It still plays pretty well and it's a hell of alot cheaper than the Saturn version.

Comment

More bugs in the PS2 version of Taito Legends Vol.2: all games run much slower than in Mame. That applies to 50Hz and 60Hz display modes.
                              Could not test the XBox version.

Comment

Working...
                              X