Happy Birthday Waverace N64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Birthday Waverace N64

All this talk of Wii, thought it a good time to dust off the N64. Played Mario 64, Pilotwings, Bangaioh and the mighty Waverace and noticed 1996 Nintendo.

How old am I now

Lost none of it's charm though, still plays like a dream and still the only game to actually make you feel your on water. Looks a tad rough through my jap machine via s-video into my sammy mind but when the games this good, who cares, the others played as fresh to day as they ever did.

Dust em down guys

Happy Birthday

imagine Wave race on teh Wii

that would be a workout and a half

Comment

They could save time and call it:

Wiirace!

Splash your mates while playing with your Wii!

Waverace: Tidal Wiiwave

Comment

How is blue storm rated 'round these parts?

Comment

Originally posted by dvdmike
          i like it

ntsc is always the way to go with Waverace games

when you complete it you can control the weather and the storms are just amazing

Comment

It really does sound spooky 1996, had been into gaming well before the N64 but to this day it still remains my favourite console of all time, how the time has passed eh? Mario 64 was the reason i missed so much school and have memories of ringing up the now dead Nintendo hotline for star advice. Other memories include waiting outside Woolworths for my Zelda:OTT, once again missing school and remember taking the piss out of those who didn't get it that christmas, remember that struggle? don't think we'll see anything like that software wise again. Also the many late night Goldeneye and Mario Kart sessions. Too many classics on offer, my favs include Blast Corps, DKR, Banjo Kazooie, Wave Race and Turok 2. Today i probably have about 90 mint games for the baby and will probably be buried with the thing. Finally got round to getting an NTSC unit so i can enjoy some RGB goodness and start my hunt for a 64DD.

My love for the 64 will never die .
            Last edited by Rep; 11-05-2006, 22:22.

Comment

Given the choice between the N64 version and the GC version, I'd always power up the former, but BS isn't too bad. I enjoyed playing it through but that's as far as I'd go.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdmike

' HAPPY BIRTHDAY WAVE RACE 64 '

Blue Storm is a game that really disappointed me. When I heard that Nintendo had given the project to an American team, and that early visuals looked very PC-esque, I was very worried. It turned out that my fears were correct, and the resulting game had both dull visuals, weak design, and lacked all the fun and flair of the original.

BS is probably a reasonable game for people that aren't major fans of the original, but as a someone who rates WaveRace64 as his favourite game of all time, I feel both sad and annoyed that the sequel is such a dull lifeless experience!

Luckily the original is still an excellent engrossing game that I have played regularly for the past 10years. Everything about the game is genius, a true AAA classic. The visuals are inspired, with each level being a feast for the senses, and a joy to play. The control and feel of the game is spot-on, and the water and wave effects are still the best. Combine all this with catchy music, and a great voice-over guy, and you have a true legend!

I'll be playing this today!

edit: I have a U.S machine with a U.S game, the Pal version is not as good!
                Last edited by Leon Retro; 12-05-2006, 08:30.

Comment

The one aspect of Blue Storm that people never pick up are the controls. It's the controls which ruin BS.*

It looks fantastic, the water effects are lovely and there are plenty of options and a nice array of levels. But the controls are hideously twitchy and frustrating . Compare them with the flowing, smooth and responsive controls (which actually feel like you're riding every wave) of Wave Race 64, the Nintendo 64 original is always going to be the game of choice for the purest player.

But anyway, Wave Race 64 is a very special and unique racing game, that doesn't look like its going to be bettered anytime soon. Also, it has to be noted (again, kingston lj's got it on lock) that the difference between the game running on a PAL machine to a JPN/US machine is shocking! Has to be NTSC all the way with this one, too sloooooow otherwise.

There's also more speech samples in the JPN/US versions.

* (Well, that and the annoying sound samples )
                  Last edited by Tetsuo; 12-05-2006, 14:24.

Comment

Best Racing Game... Eveeeeer! I know people whined about the DS potentially receiving countless N64 ports, but this is one game i'd give my left kidney for a DS Coversion

Comment

absolutely love WR64. I'd love a Wiimake.

Comment

the 64 version is by far the superior one, I really was looking forward to BS but like many others with me, it was quite a dissapointment, it wasn't bad but it was way the being excellent.

I have the US ntsc version...... we should put up our best times and give us a reason for playing this again !

Comment

Blue Storm isn't a patch on this gem.
                          Will any game any better those water pyshics ???

Still plays as good now as its ever done. This will never age or be betterd imo

Comment

Originally posted by Hartley Hare
                            Lost none of it's charm though, still plays like a dream and still the only game to actually make you feel your on water. Looks a tad rough through my jap machine via s-video into my sammy mind but when the games this good, who cares, the others played as fresh to day as they ever did.

Dust em down guys

Happy Birthday
                            I'll raise a frosty mug of non-alchoholic beer to that!

We were talking about the game just the other day and how the GameCube title was poor in comparison.

Loved the music on the title screen and the later levels where you could dip your jetski underwater to pass barriers. And who could forget those crazy stunt levels? That fantastic sense of control with the N64 analogue stick that seemed to be made just for this game?

I played it too much that I even unlocked the dolphin and named the players after characters from Friends: Joey, Phoebe and Chandler.
                            Last edited by imzu; 12-05-2006, 22:55.

Comment

Add me to the list of people who loved the original and were disappointed by the sequel.

Comment

Working...
                              X