Essential bits of kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Essential bits of kit

1. Ntsc compatible TV - RGB essential but size not important (though the bigger the better as the actress said to the bishop)

2. RGB Leads for all systems - accept no substitute unless your tv uses component. VGA is an optional extra

2. Decent Sound System - preferably a 5.1 setup for next gen excellence

3. RGB Splitter - needed for multiple console connections

4. Stepdown converter - 200 watts minimum -- essential for all import consoles

5. Memory Cards and extra pads - ps2 and GC for mem cards and all consoles for extra pads - at least 2 of each

6. S-pad for Xbox --- do not accept the XX-Pad, S-pad increases enjoyment threshold 10-fold

7. Comfy position ---- regardless of where you play your consoles you need to be seated in comfort, even if its just a bean-bag on the floor

8. a decent arcade stick - preferrably one for each console you own but a dreamcast and psone/ps2 arcade stick is essential

9. Large supply of beverage of choice - gaming is thirsty work

anyone else have anything to add

camps

Some good games wouldn't hurt...

Comment

a power strip with individual switches

Comment

how about some consoles

Comment

I have all of these except 5.1 as I have no idea how the hell to get it done for under ?100.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidez
            I have all of these except 5.1 as I have no idea how the hell to get it done for under ?100.
            Well Xbox is the only console that actually uses in game DD5.1 so you could just get a cheap pro-logic decoder that hooks up to a regular 2 channel amp to get surround sound.

Comment

Originally posted by dgnr7982
              Originally posted by Sidez
              Well Xbox is the only console that actually uses in game DD5.1 so you could just get a cheap pro-logic decoder that hooks up to a regular 2 channel amp to get surround sound.
              That's all chinese to me mate. Model numbers, shop links and prices please. Is it definately not possible to get a 5.1 amp and speaker set (I think that's all I need) for around the ?100 mark? How do I know if my TV can take it?

Cheers.

Comment

sidez - you can get one for around the 130 quid mark

Scan do a nice one for ?172 inc VAT -- 6 speaker system with an amp. the speakers are all small enough not to be too obtrusive and it has 2 digital inputs (coaxial and optical) for connecting up both PS2/GC and Xbox

might be out of your price range though so alternatively you should check out

Inspire 5.1 Console 5500D - price ?149.99 - available from www.europe.creative.com - nice to look at and easy to setup. not too bassy - very subtle subwoofer useage -- big drawback is the length of the wires, maximum 5m for rear speakers (might seem a lot but it isnt)

SPC206 5.1 Speaker System - price ?129.99 - available from Argos - cheapest i could find and a decent enough sounding system -- very boomy sub though which could be offputting

Soundstation 5.1 - price ?199.99 - Logic3 kit which is available in most console stores - pricey but imo looks like a sack of ****. the amp matches a ps2 in looks though so it will blend in with any setup

Herao GCD 5.1 Speakers - price ?139.99 - available most console stores - don't like the looks of this one at all

Comment

ps the sound system has nothing to do with your TV --- use the coaxial/optical outputs from your consoles (on Xbox you need advanced rgb kit for this) and you are all set

imo a decent sound system is equally as important as tv setup --- its like using RF when RGB is available

Comment

Excellent camps thank you. Does this mean that all my RGB leads need the red and white phonos in which to plug into the amp? Is there any point in plugging in the phonos with the Dreamcast or just the latest 3?

Comment

for the best sound you don't want to use the phono's at all -- both Xbox and Ps2 use coaxial/optical (ps2 via the console and xbox via the box on the advanced rgb kit)

however the phono's (red and white) will work perfectly well enough - the coaxial/optical offer a digital signal rather than analogue though

a very easy method which i am using for my older consoles, is have them all connected to my rgb splitter and then use a good set of av cables (red and white plug ones) to connect from the rgb splitter to my amp -- that way i am getting the benefit of decent stereo even if its not an 5.1 signal

ps when you finally upgrade your sound system to 5.1 you need to sample Halo through it -- astounding is the only word to describe it --- in fact the majority of Xbox titles offer a very good sound field via 5.1 - PDO is another exceptionally sounding title

camps

Comment

So Argos splitter plus some good phono to phono connectors for the old stuff + GC/DC whilst PS2 and Xbox get the optical treatment... gotcha.

Comment

I just go tmy cube hooked up to my amp and it goes through my dedcent enough speakers! I personally find that adiquate enough.

Comment

All my stuff goes into either a SCART box or an S-Video box from which 2 phono leads go into my amp - Xb and PS2 are connected via optical of course.

Halo is amazing on 5.1 they really made an effort to utilise the sound - another great one is Moto GP, when its raining you hear thunder from the rear speakers - first time it happens it scares the crap out of you.

Never listened to one of those all-in-one DD5.1 solutions but at those prices got to be worth a listen.

Comment

Should add on :

Decent BB connection (minimum 512/128) for XBL and other online goodness.

..and of course XBL starter kit.

Comment

Working...
                              X