Stellar Assault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stellar Assault

Could anyone tell me if this is any good - Stella Assault on SS.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stellar-Assaul...QQcmdZViewItem

As a shooter fan I have (thanks to lurch) managed to get some of the finest on the SS however this eludes me. gay-bay has one (see above) for ?80 but it's missing it's spine and not such a good price for a game if it not very good. I have heard nothing of this game and don't trust review sites as much as professional opinion - yes you are professional gamers!

I am looking for opinions only please on this retro game and if it shapes up to the standards set by the other famous Saturn shooters I can't be arsed to list?

Anyone have one??

With finite cash would you reccommend Under Defeat or Setlla Assault as a purchase for a shooter fan without either?

(Mods sorry if in wrong thread but it's kind of a retro question!!)

I really dig it..but there are a lot of haters out there too (some for genuine reasons, some because they automatically hate anything over a certain price (RS anyone lol))

Its hard to compare it to the legions of other saturn shooters imo as its quite a different styled game really.

Imo ?80 is an OK price..if you hunt about though and have patience you could probably pick up a mint spined copy for ?70 or so.

PS I did your avatar...looks like it was drawn on the pce printer set8)

Comment

Thanks for the info - think I will look around and wait because money does not flow from my veins and the saving of ?30 must be considered! Could you tell me what makes it different, and why people might hate it - not price dodgers though!!

Avatar was meant to look different and oldskool but was done in........MS Paint!!

Comment

I believe that VGI have an extensive review of this on their website, with a comparison between the Saturn and 32X versions. Of course, they are giving the big sell to everything really because they are a shop after all .. but if you want to hear the arguments in favour, it's probably as good a place to find them as any.

Comment

Get the 32X version it's always cheap

Comment

The saturn versions is bugger all like the 32X version. The saturn game is a wonderful shooter that will really impress. Here's the quote from my site.

Originally posted by segagagadomain.com
            Those of you who loved the 32X may remember one of the few good games on the 32X called Stellar Assault (Shadow Squadron in the US) well, SIMS have brought that to the Saturn but did they just do a straight port? Oh no, SIMS have completely redesigned the entire game to give us Saturn owners the chance of playing the BEST space shooter out on any system at the time. In fact at some points you?fd be forgiven in thinking that this wasn?ft even running on the Saturn.

First let?fs talk about the graphics. The first thing you?fll notice is that the entire game is presented in widescreen. This looks fantastic on a wide screen TV but can look a bit odd at first on a normal TV. You can actually change the colour of the borders if you feel like to any colour under the sun. The default is grey but I prefer to set them to pure black. Another really nice feature is the interlaced mode. This gives the game a much sharper look. Polygon models are extremely solid looking with no break up or polygons sticking through other polygons. The areas of play are also well designed with some having breathtaking graphical effects. On level 10 (I think) you are sent to the surface of the moon. While dashing across the moon?fs surface you notice a tower in the background surrounded by enemy ships. First you must blow away the ships then take to the sky in destroying the tower. Once the tower falls down you notice a hole under where the tower once was. You then fly down this hole in to a narrow tunnel which leads in to a new underground room with yet another tower type building in there. This is all done in real time as well where you have to control the ship. No autopilot here, which is what makes this so good. Anyway, blow away the support beams from this new under ground tower then escape at full speed back through the tunnel before the explosions kill you. Edge of your seat thrills for sure !!

Audio wise the game is filled with really nice laser effects and thruster sounds from your ship. Loads of speech from your co-pilots also accompany the action. So the game looks good and sounds good but how does it play? Well, this is the best part!! It plays like a dream. There may only be two ships to choose from but that doesn?ft matter because either one will keep you amused for an awful long time. Controls are smooth and accurate in the cockpit view but a little loose in the behind the ship view which is a shame but still, the cockpit view is the way to go anyway.

So far I?fve been up to level 13 and still not finished it so I can?ft say how many levels there are since they don?ft tell you in the instruction book. Needless to say that all the levels are varied enough to keep the interest. Now here is the really big hurdle with this game. It?fs RARE !! Yes, I?fm not talking Radiant Silvergun rare. I?fm talking much rarer plus it has a price tag that can put Radiant Silvergun to shame. Saying that, this is well worth owning so if you do find it and you have a lot of cash then buy it ! you won?ft be disappointed.

Make sure that you get your silver sticker if you buy this game in so called mint complete condition. The sticker being silver just reflects the scanner beam as you can see in the image to the left but thanks to the wonderful powers of PhotoShop you can now see what it looks like on the right. The real sticker isn't scratched to death like the Photo Shopped image looks.
            Yakumo

Comment

Great Great shooter, the closest you'll get to X-Wing on the Saturn.

Great music and plays very much like an arcade game.

Oddly enough my brother was playing it last night. Quite tricky in places and there are also 2 hidden levels to unlock to see the true ending.

15 stages in total I think, the last level reminds me a lot of Star Wars for one reason.

If you like free range shooters then this is the one for you.

Comment

Would he like to sell it?

Originally posted by S3M
                Great Great shooter, the closest you'll get to X-Wing on the Saturn.

Great music and plays very much like an arcade game.

Oddly enough my brother was playing it last night. Quite tricky in places and there are also 2 hidden levels to unlock to see the true ending.

15 stages in total I think, the last level reminds me a lot of Star Wars for one reason.

If you like free range shooters then this is the one for you.

Comment

Originally posted by nec
                  Would he like to sell it?
                  No! He won't be selling it.

You'll just have to keep your eye on ebay or buy from VGI.

Comment

keep 1 eye in this very forum

i bought mine from a member here (son_of_bael) and i think i paid ?50 for it, maybe ?55

and its complete in super condition

**edit**
                    rxmdx has one
                    Last edited by buster_broon; 26-05-2006, 22:52.

Comment

Thank you - it looks minty too!

Originally posted by buster_broon
                      keep 1 eye in this very forum

i bought mine from a member here (son_of_bael) and i think i paid ?50 for it, maybe ?55

and its complete in super condition

**edit**
                      rxmdx has one

Comment

Working...
                      X