Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Street Fighter Zero 3 on the Saturn?

Was it actually arcade perfect?
    I'm sure there was something not quite right about it, but I'll be buggered if I can remember what it is...

Sound quality I think. Everything else seemed fine.

Comment

It's regarded as superior to the Dreamcast version. Dunno about 'arcade perfect' but it seems every bit as close as Capcoms other 4Meg CPS2 ports... it's probably the closest home version of the game (not played the new PS2 collection).

Comment

I was gonna post a thread in Ask The Forum myself about this... kinda. I keep hearing that the Saturn version is superior to the Dreamcast version. How exactly? (Aside from the Japanese box art - Streetfighter characters a la South Park... hmmm)
        I own the Dreamcast version and it seems a perfectly decent port to me, am i missing some genuine reasons as to why the Saturn version is better or is it just another case of Saturn Fanboy-mania?

Comment

Originally posted by Oh_Mutants
          I was gonna post a thread in Ask The Forum myself about this... kinda. I keep hearing that the Saturn version is superior to the Dreamcast version. How exactly? (Aside from the Japanese box art - Streetfighter characters a la South Park... hmmm)
          I own the Dreamcast version and it seems a perfectly decent port to me, am i missing some genuine reasons as to why the Saturn version is better or is it just another case of Saturn Fanboy-mania?
          It me be just my eye's but the sprites just look that bit better onthe Saturn plus there's next to no loading times. Add in the Saturn pad which is the best digital pad this side of the Mega Drive 6 button one and those are the reasons why I think its better than the DC version.

Comment

The DC version has some nasty shimmery rescaling on the graphics because the resolution doesn't really match up with the arcade machine. The Saturn doesn't do this, so generally looks better to my eyes, though it does mean the characters are a bit fat looking. Also, if you're talking about the Japanese version, the DC doesn't support RGB, so you're not going to get a nice picture out of it anyway.

Comment

Apparently, the DC version has some dodgy collision detection. It's the only copy of the game I've got, however, and I've never thought of it as a particularly bad port.

It's certainly the only decent English-language version of the game available.

Comment

Originally posted by Strider
                Was it actually arcade perfect?
                I'm sure there was something not quite right about it, but I'll be buggered if I can remember what it is...
                Come-on Strider you should know this. The Saturn's version is indeed nigh on perfect, it's very hard to notice the sound differences.

All character animation is also present and correct, unlike the Dreamcast and Playstation versions, which are missing a great deal of animation, both on the characters and in the background.

There was dodgy collision detection in the arcade game, but the problem got a lot lot worse for the Dreamcast and Playstation version. There is still a slight hint of dodgy collision detection in the Saturn version but it's a lot better than the DC and PS version.

You can really only see it if you have a Dhalsim Vs Dhalsim match, the same as the arcade version.

The DC version has really bad collision detection, just get two characters too walk up to one another then press attack at the same time to watch the fun begin. ft:

The Saturn also displays the game at the correct resolution, unlike the Dreamcast version, which features smaller sprite and thus loses some detail on the characters and alters the gameplay.

The Dreamcast is quicker at loading by about 2 seconds a match but other than that the Saturn version wins hands down. Has to be said the extra home characters make the Saturn version better than the arcade game.

The Dreamcast pad is also crap with SFA3 and I would advise people to stay away from the Playstation and Dreamcast versions unless they don't own a Saturn.

Planning on running a feature in Retro Gamer then?

Comment

I wasn't aware of the Dreamcast version missing that many frames of animation. Certainly it had more than the PS port...

Comment

Capcom redrawn the sprites on the DC version, and the collison detection got messed up somewhat as a result.

I struggle to see what animation(s) had been cut from the DC version, tbh.

Out of the PS1, Saturn and DC, the Saturn version is the best because it remains more true to the CPS 2 original.
                    Last edited by Kongster; 31-05-2006, 21:00.

Comment

street fighter zero 3

wasn't the dreamcast version different from the saturn/playstation because it was a port from streetfighter zero 3 upper?
                      I'm sure there was a Naomi version

Comment

Originally posted by S3M
                        Come-on Strider you should know this
                        I can't be expected to know everything about Retro

I'm sure one of the die-hard fighting forums was going on about the new alpha compilation being great because it's the first time you can play a home version exactly as you could in the arcades (tactics etc).

Comment

I think all the home versions had some differences to the arcade system, which meant that they were disliked by a lot of the more hardcore fans. AFAIK, the Saturn one is the closest to the arcade, with the DC one being sufficiently different to break a lot of combos and stuff. IIRC, one of the main problems with the DC port was that there were changes to the timings of the v-ism combos that pretty much made it useless to practice on that version if you wanted to learn stuff that'd work on the arcade version.

Nothing that'd matter to somebody who just wants to play the home version, though.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesS
                            Also, if you're talking about the Japanese version, the DC doesn't support RGB, so you're not going to get a nice picture out of it anyway.
                            Doe's this apply to the PAL or JAP matching service version as I was thinking of getting this, but don't fancy using composite or S-VHS.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharfetchd
                              Doe's this apply to the PAL or JAP matching service version as I was thinking of getting this, but don't fancy using composite or S-VHS.
                              The matching service version supports RGB iirc.

Comment

Working...
                              X