Shumps <?10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shumps <?10

shumps is a genre ive never really got into, ive been looking into getting some recently but most of them go for riduclus prices, mostly I only pay ?10 tops for a game (unless there really something special ie black, hotd etc). So are they really any decent shumps that go for that price?

cheers
    Last edited by Matteh; 03-06-2006, 16:53.

Psyvariar Complete Edition on the PS2.

It'll be no more than ?10 anywhere you look, and it supports 60hz and lets you fiddle with the screen to your heart's content. Doesn't hurt that it's a ****ing brilliant game, either.

If you look on eBay, you'll be able to get Gradius V for a tiny bit more. R-Type Final and Gunbird 2 should be on the ten quid mark, too.
    Last edited by Klatrymadon; 03-06-2006, 13:20.

Comment

Cheers

is gunbird on the PS2 any good? Also costs ?10 tops according to amazon

Comment

yeah its preety good as long as you could put up with the load times on an achient shooter. theres also castle of shikigami 2 out pal, but i wouldn't recommend it. they removed all the story bits and changed the music to some ****ty rap sounding midi.

if you dont have gradius v, i would highly recommend it. if you can find it in your local gamestation priced at 9.99 go for it, but that price is wrong. they scanned it in for me a couple of months back and i got it for 4.99.

Comment

I've got a copy of psyvariar complete on ps2 for sale if you want? ?8 delivered.

Comment

If it's shmups less than ?10 you want, maybe you should change your topic title to "<?10" rather than ">?10"

That aside .. what platform(s) are we talking here? Empire of Steel is a highly rated shooter for the MD and can be had for less than ?10, unless you plump for the Japanese import version. Likewise, Thunderforce 2,3 & 4 on the MD can all probably be had for less than ?10.

Ikaruga is probably the best shmup I've ever played, and on the GC can be found if not for less than ?10 then for not much more. And it is well worth a little bit extra, IMHO.

Tirian

Comment

I got Gunbird PAL right here. Been gathering dust since I bought it.

It's a PsiKyo shooter, they do mostly good stuff. Dragon Blaze is excellent by them. It's proving to be a bitch to run on my chipped PS2. Four clicks on the on button, it works!!!

Right, PAL version I have here has a 60Hz switch. Game runs in PS1 resolution. You get Gunbird + Gunbird 2. Has all the settings for normal, wide or rotated screen as it's a portrait ratio game. It's pretty good actually. Very japanesy, lots of Manga girlies and talking bunnies. If I was to start playing 2D shooters, not sure I'd start with Gunbird though.

See if you can get these ones for PS2 as well. R Type Final and Gradius V. Terriffic. They sell Gradius V in the supermarkets in New Zealand, I got an import japanese version for no reason then.

Also there's lots of good PS1 shooters in junk shops. G-Darius, R Type Delta, Einhander, Raiden Project. Think I bought my G-Darius for 5 pounds.

Although in general 2D shooters are just sexier on Saturn pads. Even if it's the exact same game.
              Last edited by Applefiend; 03-06-2006, 14:11.

Comment

R-Types (PS1) is a must.

Comment

If you like traditional shooters, go for these two vertical scrollers for the PS2.

XII Stag: Which is pretty cheap, and a really nice game.

Steel Dragon: I bought it for ?2.50.. so it really is dirt cheap, but nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Matteh
                    is gunbird on the PS2 any good?
                    The game is good, but it's a shoddy port. If you have a Dreamcast, get it for that instead.

Comment

quite a few people miss Invader for the Gameboy Advance, decent little shooter.

Comment

Originally posted by Matteh
                        is gunbird on the PS2 any good? Also costs ?10 tops according to amazon
                        Yeah, it's good, but there's some dodgy graphical filter on it...

I meant Gunbird Special Edition, sorry (not Gunbird 2, as they haven't had separate releases on the PS2). That includes both games, and must be the one you've spotted. Worth a punt, but that filter does make it look quite ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kubrick
                          The game is good, but it's a shoddy port. If you have a Dreamcast, get it for that instead.
                          I'll second this. I was playing it yesterday in fact with my new arcade stick and it's fantastic.

As I'm all for the Dreamcast at the moment, I would certainly recommend Gigawing and Bangai-O. Superb.

Comment

You won't be able to get it for less than ?10, but ESPGaluda 2 on the PS2 is worth every penny. As is Gradius V, which now goes for STUPIDLY low prices

Whatever you do, DO NOT buy any 'Mobile Light Force' games -- the first is a God-awful bastardised version of Gunbird, and the second is a God-awful bastardised version of Shikigami no Shiro.

Comment

Originally posted by Psi
                              You won't be able to get it for less than ?10, but ESPGaluda 2 on the PS2 is worth every penny.
                              Do you mean the first'un, mate? ESPGaluda 2 hasn't been ported yet, has it?

Comment

Working...
                              X