CPS2 board problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPS2 board problem

Tonight I have the enviable task of testing a load of boards. So far so good, Zero 3, Aliens vs predator, Mercs, Radiant Silvergun and Strider all working fine.

Then it comes to my favourite: Shadow Over Mystara. Connect it up to the old supergun, switch on......and all I get is a bright yellow screen. Fan is whirring, but just this horrible, pissy yellow. Could have cried. Any ideas?

p.s. I have tried cleaning the Jamma connector, the board is Japanese, and serial number is 010253901. It is one of the grey/black boards, should be ready for the get go striaght on the end of a JAMMA harness.

Comment

was going to get some cps2 systems for my supergun but i heard about the infamous suicide battery problems which really put me off

basically with the system as soon as the battery goes the system is useless

Think there are ways to prevent it but nothing can be done after (well i did hear some very techincal stuff is possible)

Comment

try clamping them together stronger, you're a big man, grab it with your manly hands and press hard to make sure the a+b board are connected firm-like.

Comment

Tried taking the two boads apart and putting them back together? Are the retention clips on? I used to find sometimes without them you need to put a heavy book or something on top to keep the connection tight.

Grey boards are HK/Asian btw not Japanese.

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy
            was going to get some cps2 systems for my supergun but i heard about the infamous suicide battery problems which really put me off

basically with the system as soon as the battery goes the system is useless

Think there are ways to prevent it but nothing can be done after (well i did hear some very techincal stuff is possible)
            nah don't let it put you off, the board isn't useless once the battery pops its clogs there are a lot of people out there who can easily fix the problem and replace the battery. Also many cps2 boards you come across today have been modified so that the 'suicide battery' has been replaced with an ordinary battery pack that can be easily removed and replaced. So go out there now and get yourself some cps2 love

Comment

its not a battery pack, its a set of patched ROMS that disregard the need for a battery at all.

Comment

Originally posted by kernow
                its not a battery pack, its a set of patched ROMS that disregard the need for a battery at all.
                edit - don't know why the link isn't working
                Last edited by muse hunter; 05-06-2006, 21:10.

Comment

razoola has phenoixed 2 of my boards and made them suicide free , he basically reprograms the roms and then theres no need for a battery anymore

Comment

Razoola got back to me, as did Trev1976 - cheers son - looks like either suicide or that the A+B are not clamped together tight enough, Will have a look-see tonight and hopefully can get it going. If not it is 30 euro to get it fixed up.

Comment

You can get a battery pack. It's a case of just swapping cells once the old one dies. No soldering required.
                      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by seany1979
                        Razoola got back to me, as did Trev1976 - cheers son - looks like either suicide or that the A+B are not clamped together tight enough, Will have a look-see tonight and hopefully can get it going. If not it is 30 euro to get it fixed up.
                        Sounds like suicide to me, especially the yellow screen. You don't need class-100 strength to clamp them together anyway. As long as there is no gap between boards you should be fine. I'd get that ROM fix pronto.
                        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

why do you need one after doing the phoenix mod? theres no battery backed RAM region anymore to protect with a battery. its all ROM.

Originally posted by J0e Musashi
                          You can get a battery pack. It's a case of just swapping cells once the old one dies. No soldering required.

Comment

why do you need one after doing the phoenix mod? theres no battery backed RAM region anymore to protect with a battery. its all ROM.
                            This is if you don't do the phoenix mod. It's an alternative. I don't see the point myself, but hey.
                            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

well of course you can replace the battery.

Comment

Working...
                              X